• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

trumpetwinds wrote:
I have no idea what you sound like, but I bet you wouldn't use that shallow mouthpiece in a symphony, i wouldn't...you wouldn't blend well with the group....I guess shallow pieces are fine if you are just doing rock and screaming all night
[/quote]

There actually might be applications where you could get away with a shallow mouthpiece in a symphony: To save endurance in a loud sectional passage. Try it sometime and see if anyone notices. Its humorous, kind of like you're creating mischief or committing petty theft!

Oddly I kind of use my symphony mouthpiece just for technical and solo soft passages in more legit type stuff. In places where a lot of tonguing and quick intervals it is very handy. So there is where i related the experience to "doubling" on trombone. Some of my mouthpieces are very shallow and not so easy for some people to play unless they take the time to learn them. So the over all volume inside the cup of my 3x6 could well be less than half what a Bach 3C is. Or about half of my Cass 4-28 (beautiful mouthpiece!).

To get even more strange there are times when i use a large mouthpiece on the piccolo trumpet! Like in church at 10am when my lips haven't circulated and I gotta come in COLD on a High C/D or so. Even makes the first ledger line A natural more secure.

The piccolo helps with accuracy anyway and rarely have I seen a church part with a High G in it (that would freak some parishioners out!). So there is no need for a shallow m/piece.

But if your average Joe wants a tip on how to disguise the edgier sound on a shallow mouthpiece? Bore the throat out to 19 or so. That's what Maynard did. The tone gets fatter, mellow and largely indistinguishable from larger mouthpieces with a couple exceptions:

You really need a deeper m/piece to get the flexibility and for articulation of intervals. Also, the shallow m/piece, even when bored out, will still bend notes too easily for classical stuff. The reason i practice a lot of legit stuff on my shallow guys.

I would like to bore out my 3x6 and 3x4. Problem is they are both very valuable collectors items. That and there are times when i want the skinny throat. So this means I must duplicate these pieces but in the 19 throat or so.
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Players who use shallow mouthpieces are cheating. Most of the time, their sound is tiny and thin, ducky sounding and somewhat annoying. Nothing less than a C cup please! Anything less than a C cup stifles the warmth and volume (amount not loudness) of the tone.

You have obviously never heard me play... Or a whole host of other horn players who play on what some would call a “shallow” mouthpiece. But that’s not my main point…
I used to play on a Benge made Claude Gordon 1 S mouthpiece. A fairly large mouthpiece with a deep cup. I am a consistent DHC + player. I switched to a much smaller (and more shallow) mouthpiece for endurance reasons… my overall sound quality didn’t really change. In fact I have received more favorable comments on my sound quality now than I ever did on the CG 1S!!! Endurance went thru the roof… Right tool for the job… For me at least…

Be careful not to lump folks into one category... A shallow mouthpiece for some can be as deep as the ocean for others!

The mouthpiece is just a tool. Select the right tool and all is possible...

Are you using the tool (mouthpiece), or is the tool using you???

Playing "bright" is easier on a shalow type mouthpiece (right tool for the right job). Playing mellow (fat sound etc...) is still possible, just more difficult. Playing "bright" on a deep cup is still possible, just more difficult. Also, don’t forget to add the qualities of the horn into the mix. Trumpet is easier to be "bright"; a coronet is more difficult...

All of our faces and embouchures are different. We all play different. Generalizing is usually not a good idea.

We all do the same exact thing, differently, to produce the same results that no one else can do. Think about it…
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrett901 wrote:
Quote:
Players who use shallow mouthpieces are cheating. Most of the time, their sound is tiny and thin, ducky sounding and somewhat annoying. Nothing less than a C cup please! Anything less than a C cup stifles the warmth and volume (amount not loudness) of the tone.

You have obviously never heard me play... Or a whole host of other horn players who play on what some would call a “shallow” mouthpiece. But that’s not my main point…
I used to play on a Benge made Claude Gordon 1 S mouthpiece. A fairly large mouthpiece with a deep cup. I am a consistent DHC + player. I switched to a much smaller (and more shallow) mouthpiece for endurance reasons… my overall sound quality didn’t really change. In fact I have received more favorable comments on my sound quality now than I ever did on the CG 1S!!! Endurance went thru the roof… Right tool for the job… For me at least… And I am a one mouthpiece player. I dont switch back and forth. Tried that once... Screwed me up royal...

Be careful not to lump folks into one category... A shallow mouthpiece for some can be as deep as the ocean for others!

The mouthpiece is just a tool. Select the right tool and all is possible...

Are you using the tool (mouthpiece), or is the tool using you???

Playing "bright" is easier on a shalow type mouthpiece (right tool for the right job). Playing mellow (fat sound etc...) is still possible, just more difficult. Playing "bright" on a deep cup is still possible, just more difficult. Also, don’t forget to add the qualities of the horn into the mix. Trumpet is easier to be "bright"; a coronet is more difficult...

All of our faces and embouchures are different. We all play different. Generalizing is usually not a good idea.

We all do the same exact thing, differently, to produce the same results that no one else can do. Think about it…

Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

trumpetwinds wrote:
I have no idea what you sound like, but I bet you wouldn't use that shallow mouthpiece in a symphony, i wouldn't...you wouldn't blend well with the group....

It may be hard for you to blend on a shallower mouthpiece in a symphonic setting, but don't assume that the same is true for everyone.

As for your tone in this thread, it sure seems inconsistent with your signature line...
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanemania wrote:
I beg to differ, Mr. TrumpetWinds.

Shallow pieces aren't cheating. They're like push-up bras. With the right person, the results can be magnificent.

You are destined to become a master teacher because you have the ability to explain complex concepts in such a practical manner.
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetwinds wrote:
You have it all backwards my friend, the amatuer guys who use shallows are the ones who can't play high on a regular mouthpiece...

That may be true of many amatuers. And the sentiment of encouraging amatuers not to sacrifice sound for easier upper register is appreciated.
But you gotta remember: a lotta pros come to this forum. Pros who can get a great sound on a mouthpiece that you apparently can't conceive of as being a possible conduit of good sound. To say that shallow mouthpieces are for cheaters and result in bad sounds is simply a false statement.

Most people who resort to the "cheater" comment are those who don't know how to play shallow mouthpieces. Just because you can't and you know a lot of people who do and sound bad doesn't mean it's the rule.
At this point in my trumpet playing life, I would consider a 3C almost a cheater mouthpiece because I've been on my Monette for so long. But I don't, because it depends entirely on the player.
Anecdote: I played a church gig a few years back with a guy who normally uses a Schilke 14A4a. He played one service for grins on a Bach 1C. Same range (DHCs), same volume (though he mentioned it was harder), same huge sound on either cup, same technicality. The guy knows how to PLAY and he knows how to play a SHALLOW MOUTHPIECE.
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetwinds wrote:
You have it all backwards my friend, the amatuer guys who use shallows are the ones who can't play high on a regular mouthpiece...I can get a double high C, even a d and eb on my Schilke 13c4 and I can use those notes when I need them. However, I play in a community band and occasionally get called for the orchestra...i don't need those notes all the time, and unless you are just soloing in jazz or recording commercials in a studio, you don't need it either, Wayne has his niche as do most other professional players, I dont play like Wayne and never will, I need a mouthpiece that sounds good playing the Nutcraker or Spoon River or Sailors and Whales or any of a number of other great pieces

I had the opportunity to meet Wayne recently, and happened to ask what his regular mouthpiece is. At the time, and though he had a handful of other mouthpieces on him, he said it was the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5. To me, that is indeed somewhat shallow, but not nearly as shallow as some other mouthpieces out there.

Wayne is way more than just a "niche" player. I myself, and my friend (who at times has made his living playing the trumpet) thought Wayne, even playing with a lip injury, was absolutely incredible live in concert! Wayne played a two octave scale passage in a jazz solo (ending on double high A) with the Army Blues behind him--and every single note of that scale passage spoke with a fantastic clear, clean, gorgeous sound. We were sitting in the front row, and my friend almost fell right out of his chair--promptly whispering to me that he can't do what Wayne just did--ever! Wayne does possess more air support than many other players--that much is true.

Even though I will never play like Wayne, I match the mouthpiece to the job I have to do. I generally use one mouthpiece all the time--the one that I feel works the best for all my playing needs--and I was already using the Marcinkiewicz Shew 2 prior to meeting him.

In Wayne's clinic he was very quick to dispell the "cheater mouthpiece" myth. Shallow mouthpieces are not cheater mouthpieces--they are a tool like anything else. Please do not insult those of us who are able to play them and get a good sound out of them. I could not play the brass quintet book I have to play on Schilke 13C4 or 14 mouthpieces--after an hour it would be too tiring. I need to be able to play for at least an hour and still be able to hit my highest "usable" notes with consistency. The music is a mix of styles from classical to jazz.

As far as tone quality goes--I learn to get the best tone I can out of the equipment. It doesn't happen overnight.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since everybody's throwing their opinions into this...

Results are what matter

If someone can do the job on a huge mouthpiece, that's fine. I couldn't. At the same time, a lot of people don't really have a grasp the reality of the playing they're doing. This could mean that they either pass their playing as a higher standard even though it's not, or believe that they're doing something harder than they really are. If you're able to do a commercial-type gig on a big mouthpiece, ask yourself 3 things.. 1) How hard was the gig, really? 2) How good of a job did I do in comparison with several different standards of playing? 3) How much am I lying to myself.

...The same goes for people playing orchestral literature on especially small mouthpieces. I took a sub audition for an orchestra entirely on Bb, and used the mouthpiece I'd been playing for all my chop-intensive gigs for the months before. I thought I would've done fine, but reality set in. I sounded bad.

Perception is reality

If you're happy with it, and the people around you are too, then it's right. No questions asked. Also, if you're getting the appropriate results, but the people around you are unhappy with it, think about why they'd take quarrel. You may be with a group of idiots. Then again, you might still be lying to yourself. There are a lot of things that can be true.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know as many people how are probably on too big a mouthpiece as I do people who are on too small a mouthpiece. Both groups produce a sound that I perceive as less than ideal. The too-big group is usually spending too much time trying to get a bigger sound. The too-small group is usually spending too much time trying to improve how high they can play.

I also know a good number of players who play and sound fine. Those people play all sorts of equipment, big and small and lot's in the middle, but I hardly care because it's working for them just fine. I strive to be in this group.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Mr. Benge
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so first off, I didn't say I wasn't getting swelling in my original mouthpiece, which was a Marcienkewicz 1 (Huge!). I honestly don't know if I was or not, I just knew I wasn't lasting as long as I needed to and was told I needed something more efficient. As a sidenote until that point I'd been playing 1-2 nights a week but was laid off so I started playing 4 nights a week. Enter the Warburton 4M w. a Q backbore. I played on this for a few months and realized something just wasn't right, I still was pooting out and now I couldn't even think about practicing on the side due to lips just feeling stiff and swollen. A few months later I did a trial of the Wedge and none of them seemed to beat the 4M as far as making upper register easier, but I did really like the the way one of the backbores Dave sent played, it was tight, a 4. But it seemed like producing notes took less effort. That all went down around March. So, now I'm playing on that mouthpiece/backbore on a Bach Strad 43. Don't get me wrong, I play well and I "make it" through the gigs buy by the last 2 sets I'm not playing anywhere near the level I want to. Here, I may regret this but just recently recorded some stuff and you can check it out to see how I play and the sound I'm going for: http://www.myspace.com/rvtrumpet I don't care if I can't ever hit DHC, honestly, if I could hit G's when I wanted through a 4 hour gig that would be ALL I need to express myself musically the way I want. It's really frustrating, I was the best in jr. high and high school, always my section leader by a mile, always in the top 3 chairs at All Region, etc, etc. Never had problems w. my playing until I moved down to LA and started trying to go out and play 4 hours a night......so frustrating.....
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mouthpiece isn't the issue. Find a good reputable teacher. Then practice on a daily basis. You are going about it wrong. Fix yourself then worry about the equipment.
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,
Dig your sound, and the style choices you're making, but if I may, you actually sound spread. It's a broad, big sound but I can tell that there's no way you can last doing that 4 hours a night. Mpc choice will make no difference as it made little difference for me when I played like this. As the above poster said, and if I can urge you to work with a local pro and get things really focused, you'll end like me, better and gigless!

ed
Mr. Benge
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed,

Thanks, I appreciate it! Yeah I have been thinking for a while now that I need to get a good teacher. My plan is to maybe take some lessons w. Pops to see if I can learn how to play a bit more efficently as well as find someone locally to study with. Finances have prevented that in the past year or so but that is getting better and I should be able to plunk down some cash this spring.

On a sidenote, I just picked up my LA Benge 3 from repair, hadn't played it in 9 years. When I got home and took it out it played fantastic! The tone was much different than the Bach and it seems much easier to play, including my upper range.

So what does one do to fix a spread sound?

Ryan
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Benge wrote:
Hey Ed,

Thanks, I appreciate it! Yeah I have been thinking for a while now that I need to get a good teacher. My plan is to maybe take some lessons w. Pops to see if I can learn how to play a bit more efficently as well as find someone locally to study with. Finances have prevented that in the past year or so but that is getting better and I should be able to plunk down some cash this spring.

On a sidenote, I just picked up my LA Benge 3 from repair, hadn't played it in 9 years. When I got home and took it out it played fantastic! The tone was much different than the Bach and it seems much easier to play, including my upper range.

Ryan

Lip buzzing and then mouthpiece buzzing is what has helped me. Well, ask Ed up in the previous post if I sound any good, since he is the one who has heard me play lately.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, everyone is right . . . based on what they've discovered so far in their lifelong "walk" of playing the trumpet, at least those "lifers" who are accomplished players.

Yep, trumpetwinds is dead on. However, let's see what he discovers in the next three or four decades.

My range a solid, rich Double E (and this rises to the G above that when I woodshed a lot). That being said, it matters not whether I'm playing my HUGE and DEEP custom-made Warburton 2DD (like a Bach 1A in size) or my Warburton 8 series mouthpieces. I've got 'em all in the #8 size, with the 8M being my favorite generally for commercial work. BTW, the #8 rim, at .620 is about the same as what Clifford Brown used, the tiny Bach 17.

I also have the same range on my Bach 6 sized fluglehorn mouthpiece. Ditto on my .650 sized 1911 Boston "cookie-cutter" mouthpiece that has an obscenely huge V-shaped funnel and a huge throat.

No difference. Each is a tool, and I like to grab the right tool for the job.

Oh yeah . . . after over 45 years of performing, I use VERY little pressure . . . just enough for an air seal only. If I was still a "face masher" my opinions on what would work would collapse into a much smaller choice range.

BOTTOM LINE . . . learn to avoid pressure and you'll be able to play all night long on any sized mouthpiece you want! An additional benefit of not having the "expando-swell" lip problem? You can use a much shallower mouthpiece and STILL have more remaining cup volume than "Mr. Masher" and "Ms. Poke N. Hope" have when tired on their toilet bowls.

Here's a commercial gig where a photographer caught me playing my Wild Thing short cornet by simply resting the bell on my outstretched left thumb and pinky finger. I also was floating my right hand totally away from the horn too . . . no way to really apply pressure. I must have been playing some dubbas about then . . . an my Warburton BC (deep funnel) cornet top mouthpiece with a Warburton #10 backbore.

Reducing arm pressure on the chops changes EVERYTHING for a player! Several clinicians in the past would hang their trumpets on strings at clinics and "amaze" people who simply didn't understand this fact yet.

AGAIN . . . everyone is right . . . based on where they are in their progression. Thus the right answer for a person THIS year may be totally wrong in the future.

Hope this helps,

Tom
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Mr. Benge wrote:
Hey Ed,

Ryan

Lip buzzing and then mouthpiece buzzing is what has helped me. Well, ask Ed up in the previous post if I sound any good, since he is the one who has heard me play lately.

Brian

Ehhh...

(kidding). Brian's got a great, focused sound and his Wild Thing is very complimentary to that sound. We were just arpeggioing aroung, but it fills the hall. Lip buzzing has been a great boon to me, as well. I'm now a champion lip buzzer and will be performing the feat at the remaining holiday parties on the calender. I accept paypal.

And Tom, yes, pressure reduction is tantamount to richer overtones, higher notes, better sound control, flexibility, everything but bicep workouts. I only wish I had taken my old trumpet teachers' advise lo these many years ago before I quit in disgust 23 years ago thanks to the scars forming on my upper lip after even short gigs/rehearsals. FINALLY, a different tale to tell, but old habits die hard. Just ask Bruce Willis.

ed
Mr. Benge
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so I've pretty much known for a while now that I'm going to have to make some major changes to be able to play the way I want. I've been out playing like this for over a year and have seen minimal gains in endurance, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist. So I guess the first question is, what is the most effective way to go about strengthening the muscles that are necessary to play w. a lot less pressure?
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Benge wrote:
Yeah, so I've pretty much known for a while now that I'm going to have to make some major changes to be able to play the way I want. I've been out playing like this for over a year and have seen minimal gains in endurance, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist. So I guess the first question is, what is the most effective way to go about strengthening the muscles that are necessary to play w. a lot less pressure?

lessons!!!!!

I am not trying to be a wise ass here. You have many questions and quite frankly you need someone who can guide you and be able to help you achieve your goals as a musician.

Search out someone good and enjoy as you improve!!!
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
davewithabuescher
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:

Correct! There are no easy shortcuts...especially on the internet...

uh.........
http://www.google.com/search?q=easy+shortcut&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
1947 Blessing Super Artist
1959 Mt Vernon Bach Stradivarious
1961 Buescher Aristoproject
1979 LA Benge 5x
???? Holton T102S
2009 Del Quadro Custom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: