• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advancing age and trumpet playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Doc Severinsen
Maynard Ferguson
Snooky Young
Bill Chase (he was almost 40 when he died and was doing some of his best work)

Just to name a few.

At 37, I'm but a babe in the woods compared to them. They are shining examples that you can continue to play at a very high level in spite of age.

Don't forget Doc Cheatham! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Cheatham
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
perspective
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ But I have learned to play smarter. I have chosen equipment that allows me to play more efficiently .[/quote]

I am intrigued about the equipment you have chosen to help you play more efficiently. There are only two items, aren't there ? The trumpet and the mouthpiece.
I'm sure I've read somewhere that instruments produced nowadays are manufactured with a larger bore than was the case years ago. The tone produced is apparently more desirable, but they require more effort play them. Maybe narrow bore instruments are still available if that's what the customer wants. Why not ?
So what have you got there, Rich G ?
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may "horn" in here, (sorry )-- Innocently, when I bought my Lawler C7 step bore two years ago, I did not realize that it would be so much easier to accomplish the common trpt rudiments as any previously owned horns. The C7 takes less air to play louder, higher and with a good sound and all levels of volume are much easier to produce. Recently, on a whim, I bought a Karl Hammond mpc which is also easier to play.

My point is that there is certain equipment that can make things easier. Maybe not the same equipment for everybody, but never-the-less, it is available if you look under enough rocks.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
But I have learned to play smarter. I have chosen equipment that allows me to play more efficiently .

perspective wrote:
I am intrigued about the equipment you have chosen to help you play more efficiently. There are only two items, aren't there ? The trumpet and the mouthpiece.
I'm sure I've read somewhere that instruments produced nowadays are manufactured with a larger bore than was the case years ago. The tone produced is apparently more desirable, but they require more effort play them. Maybe narrow bore instruments are still available if that's what the customer wants. Why not ?
So what have you got there, Rich G ?

I now play a Schilke B4 with beryllium bell. Compared to the .459 and .460 ML bores I played for over 40 years, the Schilke is a .450 stepbore that is easier to fill than any horn I've owned (and that includes 2 Lawler's, a Harrelson, 3 "Z"'s, a Calicchio, 5 Strad's, a Selmer Chorus 80J, etc., ad nauseum.

The lightweight beryllium bell also contributes to a very fast response. The feedback with the B4 is excellent - I don't work as hard anymore to produce a clear, resonant sound and to hear myself in a section.

The B4 itself is incredibly lightweight, which also reduces fatigue. Really, holding a really heavy horn took more of a toll on me than I realized.

The mouthpiece I use most of the time is a Reeves 40M. I love the full, centered sound with the M cup and the #2 backbore. It works beuatifully with the Schilke B4. I am considering looking for a Reeves 40M "dynamic mass" mouthpiece to see if it will give me another nudge in efficiency. I also use a Warburton 6S top with a KT backbore for big band at times - but I really like the sound best with the Reeves 40M.

I tried heavy bottom caps, but still prefer the Schilke B4 "straight up" - the way it came from the factory.

I also practice more softly than I did when I was younger, and I do lip bends every other day, holding the last note out as long as I can to feel the corners burn. I would not do this everyday - every other day helps the corner muscles to recuperate and strengthen.

This has worked really well for me. Most of my playing is big band and pit orchestra work.
jerrydaz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Bud Herseth, Adolph Sylvester ("Bud") Herseth has played principal trumpet in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra ever since he became a member in 1948 and until he retired in 2001 (53 years!). He is now generally recognized as one of the world's greatest symphonic trumpeter.
Bud is now 86 years old, born in 1921, and still active.
J. Marcinkiewicz E3.1 CH
Karl Hammond Design 4L
"For heights and depths no words can reach, music is the soul's own speech".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: