• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Capt. Kirk is not completely full of crap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend try to argue that the National Electrical Code should be ignored because the risk was low.

I spent hours ripping him a new one. Then he brought up ethics and morals.

I told him that it was not ethical to willfully ignore standards, regardless of the risk.

Thank you for reading my nonsequiter.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Nuck81
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every thread has at least one post from the so called "regulars" who think they are in the know bashing Capt Kirk. I've never seen Capt Kirk bash or insult anyone personally on this forum, in fact given his circumstances and how he is treated almost by the minute here.

Capt Kirk gives his opinion, which is what the entire point of a message forum is. Not everything is going to be to your liking. It's like a buffet, you take what you want, and forget the rest.

But the behavior of the "forum leaders" towards Capt Kirk is mainly why I quit coming here daily. When it comes down to it, pretty much no one knows what they're talking about. They can only speak from their personal experience and ability. The rest of the time they bash Capt Kirk.

I don't agree with everything he says, but Capt Kirk always keeps things polite and he never insults or bashes other users. The same can't be said for a lot of others. I think this says more about his mental state and personal character than some here. The constant and unrelenting bashing of Capt Kirk makes for a pretty immature and undesirable forum. For some reason the trumpet forums are the only ones like this. I find Low Brass forums to be very helpful and friendly....
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand, Kirk tends to run on with his replies. On the other hand, I've seen more than one person on this forum be extremely rude, smug and snide to him, which to me is just flat out wrong on a human level...
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
I had a friend try to argue that the National Electrical Code should be ignored because the risk was low.

I spent hours ripping him a new one. Then he brought up ethics and morals.

I told him that it was not ethical to willfully ignore standards, regardless of the risk.

Thank you for reading my nonsequiter.

Tom

I deal with national (and international) codes every day. They are written to be as foolproof as possible, so that even the dumbest engineers/designers/installers can produce a safe product that operates correctly. They embody extreme overkill, that in many cases an expert in the field could modify with no ill effects...but that's not allowed. The safety/performance overkill factor built into the codes costs a lot of money and time to conform to, but I understand the reason - everything has to be brought down to the lowest common denominator. I don't ignore the standards, but I do question parts of them.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Adam West wrote:
I think the capt's day job is as a producer for Fox News.

Surprised to finally see something complimentary from you directed at him.

Beauty, John!

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
John R Davidson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by John R Davidson on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow the prime directive, to seek out new life..., to go where no man has gone before...

Doesn't sound like today's media, so my money isn't on the Captain as a producer, for Fox, Wolf, Blitzen, Donner, Santa Clause or otherwise. To wit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXAFEZUBGY [url][/url]
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with the points you are trying to make, which I believe are 1) civility towards TM members and 2) encouraging a rational understanding of these chemicals.

This is TH. TM is over there.... and I don't think you'll see Capt K over there.

I was guessing *not* a typo... as in civility exists on TM, whereas it tends to fall to the wayside on TH. Not that I give a cr@p. I just scroll past the ones I don't like, or shake fist at monitor when someone sinks my battleship...
Perhaps you are right about civility existing on TM, but lest you forget, the moderators on TM decided to ban him and toss him off the site after only 630 posts (his post per day rate was about 6 over there). Perhaps civility on TM is higher partially due to that action. Fact... the same behavior that he exhibits here is what got him banned there.

Addendum... I am not criticizing the moderators here on TH. All decisions are theirs alone to make and I respect and appreciate what they do.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."

Last edited by supportlivejazz on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
Perhaps you are right about civility existing on TM, but lest you forget, the moderators on TM decided to ban him and toss him off the site after only 630 posts. Perhaps civility on TM is higher partially due to that action. Fact... the same behavior that he exhibits here is what got him banned there.

An excellent point. No doubt the lack of civility is due in large part to frustration over lack of action.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX and supportlivejazz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyu82WG_edM

A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattergrub wrote:

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattergrub wrote:

+1000!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Kirk sometimes does post accurate, useful information. But all you need to do is skim through some of his many posts, and you'll see that he also in fact can be sarcastic and insulting, as well as inaccurate. Every time Kirk is mentioned here, we see a few people rush to his defense. And I agree that he sometimes is abused unnecessarily, but a lot of the criticism he receives is deserved.

Brad361
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with the points you are trying to make, which I believe are 1) civility towards TM members and 2) encouraging a rational understanding of these chemicals.

This is TH. TM is over there.... and I don't think you'll see Capt K over there.

Oops. Of course, I meant TH.
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk hasn't said anything to bother the moderators, so I don't lose any sleep over it. He has "gone where no man has gone before" so it is very likely that some of his postings are out of this world.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been putting off getting involved here, but I just can't hold out any longer.
No, he isn't always full of it. Every once in a while, he finds some common, well known information, posts it right and practically proclaims it as the next great thing. Has he ever come up with an original thought? Has he posted the pictures of his work yet? (If they are here somewhere, please point me to them).
Last year he made mention that he thought Vincent Bach was not a "good enough" trumpet player to really test his designs. I guess performing in the Boston Symphony as associate first trumpet and later in the orchestra forned in New York for Diaghilev's first US stagings of Petrouchka and other now standard ballets wasn't good enough. Also last year, he posted Ren Schilke might have been losing it when it was posted that Schilke suggested valves don't always have to be taken out to be oiled - which they don't. Not long back he rather agreed with Mr. Schilke's thought on that matter. Nothing like being consistent.
He constantly lamented the fact that Getzen wouldn't sell him valves to make his horns. Getzen simply does not do that. Period. Still, he whined about and perhaps in some poor sap's mind, planted wrong thoughts about the splendid Getzen company.
Of course, his distaste for the Bach 37 bell and 25 pipe is legendary. I guess the thousands of performers who use that combination with great success should immediately switch to something else.
I don't know if he has ever been talked to by the moderators and he sure is always good for a laugh or a couple WTF is he talking about, isn't he?
Annoying, but rather harmless.
R. Tomasek
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sort of waiting for the next suggestion on horn cleaning.

Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I've been putting off getting involved here, but I just can't hold out any longer.
No, he isn't always full of it. Every once in a while, he finds some common, well known information, posts it right and practically proclaims it as the next great thing. Has he ever come up with an original thought? Has he posted the pictures of his work yet? (If they are here somewhere, please point me to them).
Last year he made mention that he thought Vincent Bach was not a "good enough" trumpet player to really test his designs. I guess performing in the Boston Symphony as associate first trumpet and later in the orchestra forned in New York for Diaghilev's first US stagings of Petrouchka and other now standard ballets wasn't good enough. Also last year, he posted Ren Schilke might have been losing it when it was posted that Schilke suggested valves don't always have to be taken out to be oiled - which they don't. Not long back he rather agreed with Mr. Schilke's thought on that matter. Nothing like being consistent.
He constantly lamented the fact that Getzen wouldn't sell him valves to make his horns. Getzen simply does not do that. Period. Still, he whined about and perhaps in some poor sap's mind, planted wrong thoughts about the splendid Getzen company.
Of course, his distaste for the Bach 37 bell and 25 pipe is legendary. I guess the thousands of performers who use that combination with great success should immediately switch to something else.
I don't know if he has ever been talked to by the moderators and he sure is always good for a laugh or a couple WTF is he talking about, isn't he?

R. Tomasek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNxGZP49ls
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to read the posts in this thread. I'm just going to suggest that perhaps you all ought to remember that youre discussing another person, a person who shares a common interest with you all, and a person who is capable of the same gamut of emotions you are.

Before you post, you should ask yourself if what youre posting is something you'd say about him at say, a social gathering of friends you have in common with him, with him within earshot. I have a feeling some of the comments here wouldn't have been said under those circumstances, and if they had been, I'd really have to wonder about the person saying them - and as it is, I really would wonder about the person writing them.

And judging from the length of this thead, there must be a whole lot of trumpet players out there that are completely satisifed with their playing ability.

Sincerely,

John Mohan

P.S. What do trumpet players use for birth control?

Their personalities.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I just went ahead and read through the posts. My feeling was basically wrong. Unless I missed something, everyone's been pretty civil in this thread. What a bunch of wimps. (Just kidding).

Nice to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: