• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is playing high where the money $$$ is at?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost put this in the "Upper register" forum, but I thought that the business fundamentals involved in this topic would be well-suited for this forum.

Cat said that he could play all types of music: Classical, low-reg, etc., but you'd rarely hear that in recordings because he would get paid $$$ to play high. Back then his abilities where sort of unique or rare.

I think most trumpet players that have the range also desire to express their entire range of their skills, not just playing high.

I remember a story about a top-call trumpet player in WI who signed a contract to play some tracks. He was known for his upper reg, so the contract called for him to play a high G.

Well, one of the pieces featured a double-A at the climax. When they recorded it the first time, he played the entire song perfectly, note for note, except the double-A.

WHen the director asked him what the deal was, the player said his contract only called for a high G, and that he'd have to arrange a new contract if he wanted him to play the double-A (more $$).

I think that's bogus, personally, but is it true that playing high is where the money is at (or at least a huge chunk)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Cat got pigeon holed and although he certainly could play other stuff that's what people knew him for and so that's what he got calls for. Certainly there are types of music where you need notes up into double G and A and even beyond that on occasion but for the majority of our music stays well below that. As for refusing to play the double A in a studio session I'd think nowadays that's a fast way to get blacklisted.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly is some money to be made in the extreme upper register, but my thoughts are that if you want to actually make real money in this business a great sound (in all registers), impeccable technique, flawless sight-reading ability and versatility will serve you better than being able to scream out a note an octave higher than your fellow players.
marktrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where the money is at. If I knew I would probably quit my day job.

Someone once told me I have to wear a strange hat, that way people would remember me. I've been wearing the strange hat but I don't know. So far, no new gigs.

Just don't be an A#"hole or a Smarta$#. People will probably be more inclined to work with you if you are a nice person.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of importance. 1. Tone, 2. Tone. and 3. More tone.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-10 19:06, the chief wrote:
I almost put this in the "Upper register" forum, but I thought that the business fundamentals involved in this topic would be well-suited for this forum.

Cat said that he could play all types of music: Classical, low-reg, etc., but you'd rarely hear that in recordings because he would get paid $$$ to play high. Back then his abilities where sort of unique or rare.

I think most trumpet players that have the range also desire to express their entire range of their skills, not just playing high.

I remember a story about a top-call trumpet player in WI who signed a contract to play some tracks. He was known for his upper reg, so the contract called for him to play a high G.

Well, one of the pieces featured a double-A at the climax. When they recorded it the first time, he played the entire song perfectly, note for note, except the double-A.

WHen the director asked him what the deal was, the player said his contract only called for a high G, and that he'd have to arrange a new contract if he wanted him to play the double-A (more $$).

I think that's bogus, personally, but is it true that playing high is where the money is at (or at least a huge chunk)?

There were many high note players before Cat Anderson hit the scene.
High note players are not the busiest players in any town I know of.
On a commercial date arrangers don't spring surprises, and deals aren't struck in the studio.
If the date is going to be a high one, then the right players are called.
If the gig calls for a player of great sensitivity, the contractor gets the right guy or the contractor is out of work.
The all-around players are the guys in demand.
Wilmer
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the money in the music business?

Well, when I think of that kind of question, my first reaction is where's the BIG money...and IMO, that is in originality and creativity combined with being in the right place at the right time. It's nice if you are very good also, but there are some who are very good who never get anywhere, and some who are very average who really hit it big, so...

I don't think you can really make it big by copying someone else.

You have to have something extra that has commercial appeal, and that IMO, is usually found in bringing forth something original in sound, style, and music.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief,

Define "big money". What is your idea of big money? That may help us to answer your question.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to play the high notes consistently and musically is part of the equation. The rest involves being able to play the middle notes and the low notes equally consistently and musically. They're all equally important.

But extremes are not important. No need for Double C's - a good consistent G above C will cover 99.99% of commercial work, and a good consistent F above High C will still cover about 99.97% of commercial work out there.

As my teacher Claude Gordon always told me, "Don't worry about the High Notes - if you're practicing correctly they'll develop just fine along with the rest of the machine.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief,

I think that if you want to freelance consistently, you need the total package. The players who get the most calls are the ones who can do it all, no question.

I keep fairly busy, but know that I would be working much more if I had a consistent double A. I don't yet.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-13 08:20, Strawdoggy wrote:
Chief,

I think that if you want to freelance consistently, you need the total package. The players who get the most calls are the ones who can do it all, no question.

I keep fairly busy, but know that I would be working much more if I had a consistent double A. I don't yet.

The best players usually get the work.
Playing high notes does not mean the player can do anything else.
I can cout the times on one hand that the arranger wrote those notes on studio gigs I was on.
The studio is governed by arrangers not players.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, being a good musician with an individual style and flair is where the money is at in music. There is a guy at TCU who can wail up to double Cs all day long, but cannot play a lick of music if you asked him to. Sure, it impresses normal people who aren't big into music, but it isn't going to earn him the "big bucks" any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All other things being equal, folks with a dependable upper register work more.

That being said, for almost everything a high G is plenty. Then you have to:

1) Be a nice person.
2) Be reliable and professional in your demeanor.
3) Be a great sight reader.
4) Play in tune.
5) Know styles and repertoire.
6) Have a great tone.
7) Be able to follow a lead player or conductor.
Be consistent, both musically and personally.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2004-02-13 10:17 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not make money, big or otherwise, for very long if you have the attitude you will not give it your best (and have the overall capabilities) everytime you are called to play. To not play a note outside of the contract is absurd. I suspect the guy in question ( if the story is true) really didn't have a double A and was embarassed that he couldn't play it and tried to cover the fact with a BS excuse.

When you get a gig, it is to be a musician - not just to play notes on the trumpet. Play the music as best you can if you want to get called again.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Pat! I agree.

Janell Carter
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance but am I correct in the assumption that high C would be 2 ledger lines on the treble clef and the G four then the doubles and so on are above that?? or Is high c on the staff 3rd space anyone I do know where middle C is so in relation to that high C could be an octave up or two. Someone help a poor fool out

Thanx
Rob Winn
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to say "All things being equal" because that's an obvious "Yes" to my question. I also don't want to say the high-note player is not good at anything else, because that's not a player.

Also, I'm not talking about just being able to play DHC. I'm talking about a slightly more rare ability to hold loud double-Gs and up. Triple C? No problem........that's the type of player I'm talking about (with reasonable skills in everything else).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chief --

I think you should simply make a list of all the players you can think of who meet your criteria: solid all-around player, fat G above double C, useful triple C. I don't think it will be a very long list. Then ask yourself whether the people on that list made more money combined than Herb Alpert.
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my ignorance is unforgivable I know I'm a little off topic but man its just a simple question. You guys aren't the friendliest bunch around are you???? I guess i could find the answer somewhere else
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alwys,
Think about it this way, you wanted a direct answer? Sometimes getting a blunt response is good for you. What these guys are saying is' flat out reality! Take this stuff with a grain of salt? Go to the loung and search back a page or so a look for the rant I posted. Don't leave just beacause of this. You're only hindering yourself. Just keep calm now, you'll find some wonderful things here!

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: