• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Capital Punishment: Good or bad?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Capital Punishment?
Good
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Bad
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
In moderation
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 32

botula
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Capital Punishment: Good or bad? Reply with quote

What is your opinion on spanking, whipping, and beating your children?
botula
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using capital punishment teaches our kids that using physcial agression is okay. Also, most psychologists say that it is detrimental to the child's mental health.
uli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never beaten my kids, and I can say that if I insist on something they obey. They are well behaved and all without any capital punishment.
I am very glad that it is illegal here to beat a child. Of course I know that sometimes your temper is hard to control, but it is always evil to apply force to a human being. Not acceptable.

Uli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was little and did something terribly bad that I knew I wasn't supposed to do, I got a spanking. It taught me quickly that doing bad things is a very bad idea.

In moderation, I think it's ok.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...spanking your kid is corporal punishment. Capital punishment is execution.
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick point, Capital Punishment is when a person is executed. Corporal Punishment is when you beat someone.

I think it's important that a child be taught when they have gone way over the line. It should be a rare occurrence though.

Edit: whoops, looks like Tom beat me to it!
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:

+1

Kill 'em all. Mouth off to the teacher? Off with your head!

Quote:
Also, most psychologists say that it is detrimental to the child's mental health.

I would certainly hope so. Execution tends to be detrimental to just about anyone's health.

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, after my son totaled his sister's car, I was opting more for capital punishment....

It depends on the child and the child's age. 99 per cent of the time, it does no good at all to spank a child over 12, and once my kids reached 8 or 9 it took something that posed a risk to their survival to make me break out the belt. A child under 2 has no concept of right or wrong, so spanking one that young doesn't do any good. In the terrible twos, a child is in explorer mode, and a swat on the butt with a stern warning is sometimes needed to keep them from hurting themselves. As they get older, and their awareness of their surroundings increases and refines, a spanking will help emphasize the moral forks in the road. This is only effective if they also get rewarded for the correct choices they make. Adversion therapy coupled with positive reinforcement will help define good and bad choices on their part.

My sons get uppity and sassy with their mom sometimes, and she is not above a pimpslap to the side of the head, if the situation dictates. I haven't had to raise a hand to them since they were probably 9, but the threat of total and complete destruction tends to keep them in line when they get into the whole 'hey y'all, watch THIS!!' mode.
botula
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick point, Capital Punishment is when a person is executed. Corporal Punishment is when you beat someone.

wow, I feel like such a dope >_<

I know the difference, but I don't know why I wrote it wrong...
ADziuk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal punishment has been shown by most studies to be just a very bad way to raise a child. You might get lucky and have a good kid anyway, but in general you are asking for more problems.

First of all, instead of a kid connecting their punishment for bad behavior as a natural consequence for what they did, they just connect bad behavior to "I shouldn't do it because I get spanked." Psychologically you raise a kid that has no mental connection to the real reasons WHY he or she needs to behave a certain way in society.

Second, there are just other behavior management techniques that may require more time and effort but work much, much better in the long run. Hey if you don't want to take the time to raise a kid right, you shouldn't have one in the first place.
badocter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think Capital punishment is a form of corporal punishment (the most severe kind I suppose...). Corporal simply means that it involves the body.
horndevil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a well considered slap if it is the final option, or used to stop behaviour that would otherwise lead to injury or death if not addressed instantly.

When very young, my son who is now 15, put his fingers into the mains electric socket on the wall (240V AC). When told to stop, he laughed and did ir reapeatedly. This resulted in a very gentle tap on the back of his hand which made him recoil. Each time he reached for the socket, he got another tap (3-4 times in total). He associated putting his finger in the socket with this response and never did it again. Result - he is now 15 and healthy, not dead!!!

Some people advocate talking to children over this type of incident, but you can't reason with a child of 7 months. By th time they are old enough to understand your rantings, they might already be no more than a crispy shell with a startled look and hair stood on end

Shouldn't this subject be in the locked forum???

Ian Barnes
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was spanked as a child, but it was always preceded by a lengthy explanation of why it was about to happen. I fully understood it to be an act of love -- of correction, not a process of fear. Corporal punishment was very effective for my upbringing. I turned out fine, and I deeply love and respect my father -- we are even business partners. We are closer now than we ever have been.

Can corporal punishment be detremental? Certainly. But ANY form of punishment, if not employed effectively, can be detremental.

Personally, I hope the religion/politics thread gets ironed out. I'm not saying "don't post this here," but I liked having a distinct home for the hot-button issues, separate from the lighthearted fare that has prevailed here in the lounge. It was great while it lasted...

<sigh>

Paul
badocter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horndevil wrote:

Shouldn't this subject be in the locked forum???

Agreed. But most children only observe timeouts if the parent is within eyeshot.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: delete Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by DaveH on Thu May 05, 2005 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADziuk wrote:
Corporal punishment has been shown by most studies to be just a very bad way to raise a child. You might get lucky and have a good kid anyway, but in general you are asking for more problems.

First of all, instead of a kid connecting their punishment for bad behavior as a natural consequence for what they did, they just connect bad behavior to "I shouldn't do it because I get spanked." Psychologically you raise a kid that has no mental connection to the real reasons WHY he or she needs to behave a certain way in society.

Second, there are just other behavior management techniques that may require more time and effort but work much, much better in the long run. Hey if you don't want to take the time to raise a kid right, you shouldn't have one in the first place.

I don't agree about "most studies" showing this is a bad idea. Many current studies do support this theory but one can make studies say whatever they want.

There are times in society where incorrect behavior earns one a swift kick in the rear so the argument that it doesn't communicate the real reasons for not repeating the behavior is also inaccurate.

I don't hit or spank my children. (not that there are times I don't consider it)

However, I did try many types of punishment/corrective behavior before I found the one that works with each child. Each responds to something different.

My point is that for some people verbal discussion, logical discourse, removal of priviledges, etc have no effect.

IMHO, if a spanking does, not one done in anger, does have an effect then it is the appropriate punishment.

But you as a parent need to find what works, and unfortunately that takes extra effort that many won't take the time for.

BTW, I feel there are far worse forms of verbal abuse used to punish children, which can do even more long term damage.
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:

Well hey, capital punishiment for some kids might be a good thing!

According to law you may spank, smack, or box your child's ears in public or at home as long as you do not leave a mark--Colorado law.

Isn't this a political discussion?
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was spanked as a child, but it was not an everyday thing. The same for my kids- I had two of my grandkids over one morning several years ago and they were eating waffles. My grandson was trying to put what amounted to half a waffle in his mouth at one time. I told him to cut it up more and he just glared at me and stuffed the whole thing in his mouth. Bad move on his part- I was a senior NCO in the military at the time and was well versed in admonishing people when necessary. I put my mouth about 6 inches from his ear and went up one side and down the other- never laid a finger on him. When I got through, I checked my grandaughter and she was cutting her waffles into almost micro sized pieces. I get along fine with the grandson now and he has given me no more problems since.
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murph66 wrote:
I was spanked as a child, but it was not an everyday thing.

My wife spanks me when I don't take the trash out!
ward42
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:
Tom LeCompte wrote:

Well hey, capital punishiment for some kids might be a good thing!

According to law you may spank, smack, or box your child's ears in public or at home as long as you do not leave a mark--Colorado law.

Isn't this a political discussion?

Correct! Turns out people can't live without R/P!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: