• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To freak or not to freak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's some of both.

I think a lot can be accomplished with good instruction and lots of work.

I also think that certain people will always do it better than others, and for whom it will be easier, for other reasons that have nothing to do with instruction and work.
rebus9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
I also think that certain people will always do it better than others, and for whom it will be easier, for other reasons that have nothing to do with instruction and work.

It's embarrassing when 17 yo high school guys are blowing double C a few chairs down, yet I top out at an "always high C, sometimes high D" after 35 years of regular playing, with years of trying to make anything higher work.

_
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
rebus9 wrote:
I believe my dental structure is holding me back. I have a couple of crooked teeth that hit the back of my lips in the middle of my embouchure, which I feel interfere with the free buzzing of my chops.

I'm obviously not familiar with your personal situation, but wanted to clarify that the ideal dental structure (IMO) isn't a line-up of perfectly straight teeth. In fact, all the notable high note guys typically place the mouthpiece on top of an irregular, non-flat section of their dental structure. It's the irregularity, typically a high point, that they anchor the mouthpiece onto that frees up the vibration. A gap can serve the same purpose, ala Bergeron and Faddis. We've all heard the legend about a Maynard fan having a gap artificially created between his two center teeth to replicate Maynard's, only to discover that Maynard had his closed up via caps! Ouch.

Speaking of which, while Maynard's teeth were relatively even, he did have a noticeable high-point off to the right where he'd set-up. He achieved some success with it.

[/img]

Yes, but Maynard had way more success before his dental accident in 1961 (I think).
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "freak" from the orchestral side was Thomas Wohlwender, former 2nd trumpet of the Cleveland Orchestra. He could play the Carnival of Venice, and hit the high "F" at the end--at ten years old.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school I had a brute force high F...and rarely a high G. Which was a brick wall. I could play theat F or G at ffffffffffff, but never pay a G# or an A

In my 20s something just "clicked" and I "discovered" more extreme notes. I gained a fourth or a fifth in a day.

I learned how to use and compress air differently, my chops changed from a stretch/smile player to a more forward chop approach and frown shape.

Now it took a decade to figure out what was really going on with my chops and tongue.

But it wasn't dental stuff. Wasn't "building strength" etc. Long tones, pedal tones??? Nope. Just a discovery, and correcting some inefficient and ineffective issues that NOBODY could have shown me.
rebus9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
I learned how to use and compress air differently, my chops changed from a stretch/smile player to a more forward chop approach and frown shape.

Now it took a decade to figure out what was really going on with my chops and tongue.

But it wasn't dental stuff. Wasn't "building strength" etc. Long tones, pedal tones??? Nope. Just a discovery, and correcting some inefficient and ineffective issues that NOBODY could have shown me.

After making these discoveries, did you have to re-learn the rest of the range with your new embouchure setting?

I've tried several different techniques, like the one described here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SBpiYBieY While bringing in the lower lip improves upper register, it almost totally destroys the range I'd use 99% of the time. I'm not able to do it on the fly as Kurt suggests, even after giving it a fair amount of attempts. I either set normally, or I set with the lower lip curled in. So going up the scale from mid-range into the upper register isn't possible (for me, using Kurt's technique) without stopping to reset.

I've tried also putting more top lip (I play downstream) into the mp which does help upper register, but again it comes at the high cost of losing most of the mid-range where most of the playing is.

_
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best I can describe what I discovered:

Relaxed corners, open jaw ( doing this puts me in a frown shape automatically when my mouth is closed) and my bottom lip now is over my top teeth.

I might be an upstream sort of now. Instead of stretching, I compress top and bottom lips, and my chin now bunches up as I ascend.

This is my always set up. I only focus on keeping everything relaxed. And I play on pretty small hardware about a 10.5C ( or smaller) rim and shallow cup, tight backbore.

I have more endurance the more I play music, and not just practice high notes. Lots of articulations helped me get used to my new set up as I recall.
rebus9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
The best I can describe what I discovered:

Relaxed corners, open jaw ( doing this puts me in a frown shape automatically when my mouth is closed) and my bottom lip now is over my top teeth.

I might be an upstream sort of now. Instead of stretching, I compress top and bottom lips, and my chin now bunches up as I ascend.

This is my always set up. I only focus on keeping everything relaxed. And I play on pretty small hardware about a 10.5C ( or smaller) rim and shallow cup, tight backbore.

I have more endurance the more I play music, and not just practice high notes. Lots of articulations helped me get used to my new set up as I recall.

Did you lose your mid-range and have to re-learn how to play it with the new embouchure, or was it mostly just learning new the new habit to set the chops the new way?

If I make any embouchure changes, my mid-range almost totally disappears. And what doesn't disappear sounds like a new student honking his first few blatty notes.

_
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't that drastic of a change. Mostly just relaxing my corners, and opening my teeth, everything else fell in to place

Nothing else really changed with my lips. No tucking or rolling in or out...that I'm aware of.

I think smaller hardware also helped me, and playing melodies INCLUDING articulations in the upper register. That helped me to learn to back off on over blowing and using too much air.
ConnorJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think while there is some natural ability involved in playing in the extreme upper register, being able to use that high range is completely different and no natural gift will help you with that. For example, I can play double G and squeak the A, but what I consider to be my "usable" range tops out at around a high D ("usable" being a range where I can actually use the notes rather than ascending up a scale to reach the extreme high register like I have to for the G).

Yes, there is probably some natural element to the upper register, but I believe turning that register into something you can use musically and accurately can only be done through practice.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got to music school (college), my next door neighbor in the dorms was much better than me. He could play a double G as a freshman, and I was topping out at C on a good day. In order to preserve my fragile ego, I convinced myself that some people are high note players, and others, like me, just weren't. Of course I never saw the years of serious practicing he had put in to get to that point.

The best advice I ever got about the high register was from a trombone player that could play higher than me (on trumpet!). It was "practice your high register every day." I developed high note routines for expanding range, flexibility, and endurance, and worked at them every day for years, yes, often at a detriment to other facets of my playing. I'm still working on it, and always will be. But my conclusion is that anybody can learn to play high, with the right focus and commitment.

johnlakejazz.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All aspects of trumpet playing, including the upper register, require the development of strength and coordination, just like any other athletic activity. Some fall into the knack of it easier than others, but anyone can develop the ability if they know how, what and when to practice and then have the patience and tenacity to stick with it long enough for the development to occur.

I think I am good evidence of that fact. I did not fall into the knack of playing the upper register easily (though fortunately for me, most all the other aspects of playing came along fairly quickly with proper practice). But eventually when I set about seriously attempting to develop my upper register (around 2005), I developed a practice register to G above Double High C with a consistent performance register to Double High C. Sadly, if I don't do certain playing exercises every day, my strength level drops and my upper register limits drop by about a half octave. But that's okay. I know what to do if for some reason I feel the need for those notes in the future.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: To freak or not to freak Reply with quote

number juan wrote:
Do you think some people are just freaks at playing high, or do you think they just happened to learn to play with their lips in the perfect place for developing an extreme register? So natural gift, or just luck?

There are different physical set-ups, to be sure. Not everyone plays the same way, and there are some pretty good reasons for that. Each of us has an ideal way of using what Mother nature gave us, and we may or may not ever find what that is, for that to be able to develop.

Doc Reinhardt made a study of trying to figure out the differences and similarities among successful players, and made his findings available to the public many decades ago. You can still get his Encyclopedia, which has proven to be the single best trumpet investment I've ever made.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eviln3d wrote:
When I started playing trumpet I could hit a g above high c in the first week playing... I think it was because I started trumpet at an older age and had been a flute and piccolo player for several years before so I had very good breathing and well developed muscles in my embouchure from playing a flute and piccolo... I don't think it is freakish to play high notes.

I just don't think some people ever really develop the right muscles in their mouth. Probably in some instances it is because they developed a habit of just using more pressure against their mouth with the horn to get a sound early on and if that's what you do there is a limit to how hard you can pressure the mouthpiece and how high you will ever get from playing that way.

I think anyone can develop a high range if they approach it the right way.

I'm jealous... It took me two years to hit a G above high C (of course it didn't sound good and it was a squeel).
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebus9 wrote:
similarly the high point falls inside the mp cup while the rim rests on low spots.

This is an ideal set-up. Yoiu just need enough room in the cup to not bottom out. You also need to be able to play with little enough pressure to avoid abrasions.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eviln3d wrote:
When I started playing trumpet I could hit a g above high c in the first week playing

That is extraordinary, but you reveal something no one has talked about here

eviln3d wrote:

... I think it was because I started trumpet at an older age and had been a flute and piccolo player for several years before so I had very good breathing and well developed muscles in my embouchure from playing a flute and piccolo

HEARING! You were already used to hearing those notes. If we don't really hear those notes, the body is going to have a very difficult time trying to figure out how to make them happen.

I will never be one to minimize the muscular role, but the mental role in all this is HUGE.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eviln3d wrote:
what is the highest pitch you can just buzz your lips at with no mouthpiece.... If you can get a high pitch with no mouthpiece you can get it with the mouthpiece

Just throwing this out there that the converse is not true; it is possible to not be able to buzz at all yet be able to play the upper register all day.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebus9 wrote:

If I make any embouchure changes, my mid-range almost totally disappears. And what doesn't disappear sounds like a new student honking his first few blatty notes.

_

That's because under those conditions you ARE a new student. If you could somehow know exactly what would work best for you, it would be worth it to devote time to developing the ability to play that particular way. That could well mean learning how to do some things all over again.

A developed embouchure will produce at least a high G, and be able to do so on a daily basis. So if you're still stuck t a sometimes D, that's a pretty strong indicator something may not be ideal. How to fix it though?

There is sense to say enjoy playing what you can do, and develop that. Most music is in the "cash register," from high C to low F#. Another possible direction would be to find out who those 17 y.o. cats with usable double C's are studying under; that sounds very much like there's a really good teacher near you! We also have more than a few excellent teachers here who give lessons online, via skype and etc.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
In high school I had a brute force high F...and rarely a high G. Which was a brick wall. I could play theat F or G at ffffffffffff, but never pay a G# or an A

Here's a "thing:" playing our top notes too loud can in fact prevent us from developing. It sounds like you suffered from that, just like I did.

NYC-player wrote:

Just a discovery, and correcting some inefficient and ineffective issues that NOBODY could have shown me.

Lots of teachers teach the very things you've expounded on. Not to take anything away from your own journey of discovery ...
rebus9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
That's because under those conditions you ARE a new student. If you could somehow know exactly what would work best for you, it would be worth it to devote time to developing the ability to play that particular way. That could well mean learning how to do some things all over again.

What does one do if he needs an embouchure change in order to move beyond the plateau, but still has to play regularly in groups? As a "new" player by virtue of learning a new embouchure, I won't be able to do what is required of me. If I drop out for 6-12 months to develop that new embouchure, I'll lose my chairs in both bands-- one of those chairs I've held for nearly 20 years. But I also want to make forward progress. I'm assuming it's a BAD idea to play on the old embouchure during rehearsals and performances, and on the new setup during my daily practice-- because how can you learn the "new" while still clinging to the "old".

razeontherock wrote:
Another possible direction would be to find out who those 17 y.o. cats with usable double C's are studying under; that sounds very much like there's a really good teacher near you!

The 2 guys I'm referring to (in our community band) don't take private lessons. Both told me the high notes "just happened" early on, without any particular effort or method. I've talked to them about what they do (and did) to learn the instrument and it's essentially the SAME things I do (and did). Except my range hit a glass ceiling an octave before theirs did.

When I started playing in my teens, my range increased at a certain rate that was very similar to others who were at the same skill level. We all seemed to add a note or two of range periodically-- at a similar pace of improvement-- eventually topping out somewhere in the vicinity of high C. But, there was one guy who just kept going well past high C, and his plateau didn't arrive until he was blowing at high F/G. He was in the same group as us, learning from the same band instructor and not taking any private lessons. He just gained a fifth higher, that the rest of us couldn't duplicate.

_
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: