• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cursing, swearing, profanity. Why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself very well educated. Even above the academic roof. The proud author of dissertations. I´m an avid not to say almost over indulgent reader of books. In English or Swedish or...I´ve had my fair share of therapy. I just love to play on words.

But I must humbly confess to you that nothing feels more satisfying than to express a heartfelt curse, i.e. when I suddenly find that an expensive screw suddenly breaks when it´s half way into a propeller shaft and the only way to save the day is to drill a hole in it and.....but there is no time for that since the boat is about to enter the water.

It´s not that I wait, searching for words and then curse - the curse seems to have a life of its own and just forces itself out of my mouth. Not seldom that silent either.
My since long late dad found an ingenious way of cursing: he combined 3 different swear words into one - fu-sa-de (hard to translate) thereby escaping condemnations as nobody understood.

Once, aged 16, I had the opportunity to work a month at a factory - making ladders. The owner was the father of one of my school buddies. Also a member of the local Free Church.
A hired guy, from the congregation, dropped a heavy sledgehammer onto one of his feet. He pulled off the boot in question, blood everywhere and said in a very meek voice: "Oh dear I think I have done myself some harm". And that was it. Then back to the reservation.

Different personalities! The meek shalt inherit the world Or???
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:56 am; edited 4 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there's a distinction between truly disgusting and profane per se.

I used to love Richard Pryor and even found some of his humorous stories poignant. They had cuss words. But then, he reached a point where some of his references were just crude and offensive. I guess you'd have to hear it to know what I mean.

I used to cuss like a sailor - not very much anymore. Just found a lot of it unnecessary and offensive to some listeners, so why do it? Unless I hit my thumb with a hammer.

I love watching Chef Gorden Ramsey. I would want him to tone down his rhetoric if I and my mother were in his company. But to watch him in action, I find it hilarious when he screams at somebody in his Scottish accent, you f***ing goat.

For some, it's a given set of conduct. For others, it's situational.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that´s a truly important distinction. I agree. Situational!
I can be very situational
Catch the moment!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I love watching Chef Gorden Ramsey. I would want him to tone down his rhetoric if I and my mother were in his company. But to watch him in action, I find it hilarious when he screams at somebody in his Scottish accent, you f***ing goat.

For some, it's a given set of conduct. For others, it's situational.

My son’s marching band travelled to Ireland many years ago to march in the Limerick St Patrick’s day parade.

One of the hosts was a very nice lady who cursed basically ever other word. Not my cup of tea but with the heavy Irish accent it was very amusing.

On their reciprocal trip to the US I had the opportunity to drive some of them in my mustang convertible. It was highly amusing to hear her says things like “this ****ing mustang is so ****ing American. This is so ****ing cool.”

Last edited by LittleRusty on Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parenting challenge: While I was performing with the O'Jays a good while ago, my oldest son, then in his early teens, now 51, sat with R&B singer Millie Jackson offstage for about an hour. On the way home, he asked me about her use of certain "colorful" words, many of those making my explanations for her seemingly unlimited usage embarrassingly difficult. I finally ended up telling him that many people seem to have communication priorities that differ from others and that he would much better express himself with the same prudence that he would speaking with his grandmother. That seems to have done the trick!

Life is too Short for bad choices! Be discerningly particular!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have "put away" several people, both male and female, young and old who chose to use profanity ... with the following comments:

"Is this this best way you can express yourself?"
"Sooo ... you find it necessary to use profanity. I thought you were smarter than that."
"Please refrain from using profanity. You are belittling yourself".

I have a litany of other "follow-ups", but I believe the above have had significant and immeasurable impact.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
I have "put away" several people, both male and female, young and old who chose to use profanity

You could also wonder why people feel the need to curse at you to begin with...
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don´t beat them with sticks when they seem to depart from the right or narrow road you might be tolerable.

Joking aside - I do agree with you that there are, in this Godforsaken world, an abundance of people who don´t seem to be able to communicate without using degrading, condesending, more or less guttural sentences filled with scanty expressions, thereby often invoking creatures from above or down below - while at the same time not telling anything worthwhile at all. Like floundering in the mud instead of describing your mood.

So a general appeal in order to make discussions/communications personal or otherwise much more distinct, related to reality, problematizing instead of denying, going into details instead of generalizing - in short try finding the essence of a sitaution, a problem, the fact of the matter - should be more than welcome.

But beware of righteous tendencies. I am fundamentally opposed to fundamentalism. Freedom of speech!!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:

You could also wonder why people feel the need to curse at you to begin with...

Pay attention !!
If you take time to read carefully, you will learn my comments are "follow-ups".
NOT original statements in a dialogue.
I respond to THEIR profanity and "salty" (a kind euphemism) and lame attempts at any meaningful dialogue.
NOT as I "begin with", as you put it.

I am having suspicions YOU use profanity a great deal, and are attempting (rather lamely) to justify it.

"Hoist with one's own petard" ~ (thanks to Wm. Shakespeare for applying this apt retort to Mr. "stuartissimo")

"Lay on McDuff" ~ (Wm. Shakespeare)

Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
For me there's a distinction between truly disgusting and profane per se

I would NEVER be around him.

I fear taking his profane diatribes personally. It would not end well (purged segment, never to be included in the broadcast, surely).

Although, violence is not the perfect response, I do hope someone "clocks" him someday.
(Good use for applying a raw steak to a black eye ).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I fear taking his profane diatribes personally. It would not end well (purged segment, never to be included in the broadcast, surely).

Although, violence is not the perfect response, I do hope someone "clocks" him someday.
(Good use for applying a raw steak to a black eye )."

I just can´t refrain from pointing out the following:
I humbly suggest that you reflect on what you have written! The essence of which is that words don´t seem to suffice - when the ability to contain emotions breaks down....
The definition of a punchline

And dear old Willie - reminds me of Emile Ford in In "Why do you wanna make those eyes at me for when they don´t mean what they say"!He sings: "messing with dynamite"!

Yes this might be at stake in human meetings. Sometimes emotions get too intense. And I must say that I prefer a curse instead of getting a black eye.
Writing that I hereby put an end to my comments to the OP (in these matters)
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:03 am; edited 2 times in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay attention !!

Among those who do not swear, the more enlightened are quite creative in the use and understanding of alternative means to insult (sometimes humorously so). From your reply to my comment I can only deduce that you are not one of those people. And since it seems important to you for some reason: rarely do I swear, though I'm not arrogant enough to disdain those that do.

From my intepretation of what you wrote, you come across as a bit of a bully, which is why I'm calling you out. Given your need to belittle those that you feel you can, and excusing exclusion and violence regarding those who swear, you may see where I'm getting that impression.

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Writing that I hereby put end to my comments to the OP (in these matters)

A motion I support.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted.

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 👆🏻
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014

Last edited by Ronnman on Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:

This 👆🏻

F***ing A.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really???

So two pages, in the LOUNGE, equates “beating a dead horse”? Thank goodness we never see threads here go 5,6 and more pages.🙄

Unbelievable. But thank you to the last two guys for reminding me why I had stopped participating in this forum.

Brad
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I have two questions.

1. Why do you automatically assume that your post was being singled out by the last two posters? That was not my impression. Rather, it seemed to me they were commenting on the thread in general.

I'm also not sure why those two posts were so triggering. Such posts are common and relatively benign, imho.

2. Why do you continue to say that you are not going to ever post on the TH again, yet you continue to post? In my opinion, it is not a good look.

Of course, you can do what you want. And I hope that you continue to post here, as you are not anonymous, you have expertise, and tend to say useful things.

Jeff
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Brad, I have two questions.

1. Why do you automatically assume that your post was being singled out by the last two posters? That was not my impression. Rather, it seemed to me they were commenting on the thread in general.

I'm also not sure why those two posts were so triggering. Such posts are common and relatively benign, imho.

2. Why do you continue to say that you are not going to ever post on the TH again, yet you continue to post? In my opinion, it is not a good look.

Of course, you can do what you want. And I hope that you continue to post here, as you are not anonymous, you have expertise, and tend to say useful things.

Jeff

Ok, fair enough: I assumed the dead horse comment was directed towards me in part because it was posted two hours after my last comment in this thread. Maybe I’m mistaken.

Regarding my ceasing then resuming posting here, I’ll say this: I stopped posting completely for about a year, I recently resumed on a somewhat limited basis. But speaking only for myself, for my own reasons, I’ve decided it’s best not to make further comments on TH. I’m fairly certain I’m not the first person here who has fluctuated between participating, taking a break, etc. I probably should have just done that without making any sort of “announcement”, I agree with you there. Mea culpa.

I considered today simply shutting up and doing what I said I would, which is probably the best choice, but I think it was appropriate to respond to your comments, and I appreciate your positive words.

I certainly wish no one here any ill will.

Brad
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I rarely post these days. You gotta pick your spots, and be prepared for some pushback. It is pretty much that way across the internet. Not always fun, but life is not always fun.

If you reconsider, you are always welcome back (strictly speaking for myself).

Jeff
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Self-cancelling".

Interesting concept.
Have to admit, I've done it myself.

It is better to disappoint others, rather than yourself ~ anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: