• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why did you “come back”?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkD

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLGaudet wrote:
I kept my Selmer Radial 2 all these years and would pull it out every now and then. My spouse always bugged me about pulling out the horn. A college rock band was my last performances, then my Engineering curriculum became my focus.

As I now near retirement, the itch to play and perform again became a reality. Started with a teacher about a year ago and quickly joined the local community band. I must say, playing with others and performing is quite a thrill. Our music is not too difficult but challenging enough.

I've done a few recitals as well and was more nervous then I thought I would be.

My brother, also a former trumpet player, sent me his Bach Strad. Which I refurbished. It is my main player now and I really like the ease of playing it and it's fantastic sound. Not that the Selmer didn't have a good tone too.

Music and trumpet playing in particular, good for the soul and fun, including practicing, which I usually do each day of the week.

I can relate to the “bugging” spouse lol!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never quit completely, but after leaving the music business I practiced a lot less, sometimes going several weeks without playing while working two jobs to raise five kids. But it always called me back. It's too much a part of my identity to not play. Practice now is to hang on to what I have left and try to get back some of what I used to have. My range is better than it was before, but much of the technical stuff is rusty. Don't do much classical stuff any more, mainly jazz now.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkD wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

A bad thing is that, for the first time in my life, I don't have an audience to play for or a band to play in. That makes the self-discipline to practice difficult. Yet, I keep on keeping on.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. Putting in all the necessary practice, etc. is almost pointless if you have nobody to share your music with.

I don’t agree it’s pointless.

‘Practice’ is also playing, and playing for yourself or whoever might be around can be and is for many or most of us enjoyable. Of course playing in a group and for an audience can be the icing on the cake, but to me it’s not everything. You can be your own audience of the sound.

You take what you have and make the best of it imo.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit a major wall at age 34 in 2004. Long story short, I quit for 18 months and started playing again late in 2006. I started studying w Chris LaBarbera who graciously took me under his wing and helped. It took exactly 2 years to come back but, I came back stronger. I was able to play lead on a working rock/blues band when I was still living in S. Fl. by the fall of 2008.

Why did I come back? Because I'm mentally ill and I don't know any better.
MarkD

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
MarkD wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

A bad thing is that, for the first time in my life, I don't have an audience to play for or a band to play in. That makes the self-discipline to practice difficult. Yet, I keep on keeping on.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. Putting in all the necessary practice, etc. is almost pointless if you have nobody to share your music with.

I don’t agree it’s pointless.

‘Practice’ is also playing, and playing for yourself or whoever might be around can be and is for many or most of us enjoyable. Of course playing in a group and for an audience can be the icing on the cake, but to me it’s not everything. You can be your own audience of the sound.

You take what you have and make the best of it imo.

Your point is well taken and I agree. I should’ve chosen my words more carefully.
MarkD

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
I hit a major wall at age 34 in 2004. Long story short, I quit for 18 months and started playing again late in 2006. I started studying w Chris LaBarbera who graciously took me under his wing and helped. It took exactly 2 years to come back but, I came back stronger. I was able to play lead on a working rock/blues band when I was still living in S. Fl. by the fall of 2008.

Why did I come back? Because I'm mentally ill and I don't know any better.

Mind sharing what the “wall” was and how you got past it?
How long had you been playing when you hit the wall?
Fritz of WA

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd played a lot through high school, both in concert band and leading a small group. The latter was good enough that we cut two LPs (early 1960s media, for you youngsters) my junior and senior years for private subscribers from our school and our sister school. But once I got to college, it was all guitars, rock, and the British invasion, so my horn gathered dust until a few years later, really down and out, I sold it to help with the rent.

Fast forward 50-some years, and I have a grandson for whom I played some of the recordings from my HS years especially the ones that featured . . . me and my trumpet. Next thing I know, he signs up for band in the 6th grade, and wants to play the trumpet. So I help get him one, and after their first concert, he was so excited he said he was "sticking with this!" So I went out and bought myself a new Jupiter JTR1110S, and started practicing.

He's in 7th grade band now, and I have a year under my belt. Each week or two, we get together and play, usually whatever his school band is working on. Great fun! And I practice every day as I enjoy it plus, never having had a hobby as such, it really motivates me. I am up to Lesson 18 in the Mitchell on Trumpet, Book One. I have Books Two and Three in reserve for when I get the chops to be able to play them.
Cuso

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played professionally about 20 years, had a breakdown and quit. It was so deep that I even stopped listening to the radio. This musical self flagellation lasted 27 years, and then one day it was over.

I could try some self analysis as to why or get philosophical about missed chances, but maybe some rocks shouldn't be turned over. So in my eyes I'm not making a comeback, but maybe fixing something that got broken along the way.

I don't know where the journey is going, but this time I'm staying on the train.

PS: I got a lot of inspiration right here. Thanks on the community.
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR-9820 Piccolo
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid took up the French horn in 5th grade and I wanted to make music again after a 40-year break. Just wanted to be able to play Taps on Memorial Day, Auld Lang Syne on New Year's, and Jingle Bells on Christmas. Ordered a Getzen 900 and when I picked it up I reached for an Arbans and put it back. After 6 months put all the sheet music away. Just noodling and simple improv. No bands, no teachers. Just bought my 5th B flat.

Just playing as an intellectual exercise in melody. I understand it also helps the brain stay strong. An indispensable part of my life. 10 years and counting.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really come back, but started taking it seriously during lockdown.

In the ten or so years between the folding of our R&B band and 2020's lockdown, I only played once a year at Remembrance services in November. Looking back, and considering how much I'm practising now, I'm ashamed at the time I wasted without playing those years. But hey.

Now, I've been trying to make up for lost time, and going to Tritone Jazz Camp in June. Should be fun.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
MarkD

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! It’s very interesting to hear all your stories which boil down to just loving to play music.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep coming back...and life keeps interrupting!

Honestly, I miss it. I was full of hot air and big dreams in high school and college - but never really had the work ethic or stick-withitness to keep improving. The downfall to my 'talent' in high school was that when the going got tough (aka - I wasn't immediately good at it), I just stuck to what I could do and didn't really stretch myself to keep trying when I couldn't!

Now with a little bit of life perspective (I've still got a long way to go) - I come back to it because the music, and making it, is what settles my brain and brings me joy - and now I have two babies of my own, I hope to maybe share that joy with them, too.

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: