• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good jazz Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Calicchio R32 the copper model? I've heard those are really nice, but I also heard exactly the same things, that it doesn't work great for legit....
Hilander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-15 07:56, shaheim wrote:
Hi
3 horns that I like for jazz are the
Martin Commitee, the Bach large bore 25 model and the Flip Oakes WT. This is purely personal experience, so all disclaimers apply!

The Committee I guess is the timeless jazz horn, I have only played the new ones, not any vintage horn, but they were great sounding. Miles, here we go!. The problem is the intonation, requiring a lot of compensation to play in tune. This is weary on the chops, so I would only recommend the Committe to soloist players with good chops. I would very much want one, but it would be a horn for small group jazz only. Monette claims to have made a horn which sounds like a Committee but without the intonation problems (for Mark Isham). Now that would be something if I had the money...

The Bach 25 large bore is a rare model Bach for jazz players. I think it was made for symphonic playing in big orchestras, where big sound was required. I had one for 15 years and used it for a lot of jazz playing, mostly as a soloist with a piano player. When played softly it has a broad dark sound that I liked.

The WT was developed to be the optimal soloist horn, with a broad dark sound, but is really versatile. While it can sound broad and dark, it can also cut like a razor if you stick a small mouthpiece on it. Beware that you might need a different mouthpiece setup to really get the benefit! Now and then I use heavy bottom caps on it to darken it even more.

Play Well
Svein

I have a bach strad 25 too. I suspected it was rare because I hadn't seen anyone else using one. I think it sounds great. I bought it used and the laquer is worn out from some places. I'm not really happy about that. the previous players sweat has worn it. There are all these weird dots on the surface. Hope it doesn't affect the sound...
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine plays a Bach L 72LT. Only he put a Blackburn 20 leadpipe on it and stripped off the lacquer.

went from a tasty jazz horn to something that collects dust between Mahler's and Wagners.

I can't imagine blowing a night of lead on that. That's musician abuse.

Nick

[ This Message was edited by: Nicholas Dyson on 2001-12-25 03:20 ]
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of you focus on equipment too much. Frankly, REALLY good players always have their sound on whatever horn. You hand a strad 37 to Miles, and he would still sound like Miles, Dizzy like Dizzy, and so on. I've heard great players sound great on every kind of horn. Frankly some of the best lead players there are right now play on a Bach, and some don't. Their horn isn't what makes them great though.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''...Looking for less bright more free!''..

how about using a 3B mpc. (darker)..or..

Andy Taylor does a really dark SOB.

http://www.jaztec.com/taylor_trumpets/

I hope this helps!!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-22 18:39, dbacon wrote:
Check out the Kanstul 1500A. Very stable on fast bop lines, full open sound with good access to the complete register of the horn. With the dual bore it's almost Cornet like (conical in a way), but no problem being a trumpet. Looked one over, but like my Lawler.
Worth checking into.

Alright! Yeah, I'm biased because the 1500A is my personal horn, but man does it play! I use it in all settings with no problems. Its heavy, dark, and sweet. However you can make it quite light and feathery and can blend pretty well in orchestral situations. I find that experiementing with bottoms caps really works. I got the laquer version, without bracing on the back part of the horn, and bought a set of regular weight bottoms caps to balance out it dark characteristics. For jazz though, I still use the non-heavy braced slide, but I use the heavy caps that came with it, and even more recently have just started using those monster magnum CCaps with it. Works for me but might not work for you. Best of luck!

Bb Trumpet - Kanstul 1500A
Cornet- 1939 King Master
_________
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! Glad to meet a fellow Arizona resident. The reason you've never met me is because I'm a student still...hehe. Hopefully I'll be able to grab some gigs or music work in the future. I'm in Mesa right now. Who do you play with or do you have any gigs anywhere that I might see? As a student, I love to see other trumpet players and learn from the guys with more experience (like you). I actually just went to Jack's on Thursday and played all the horns...they really are wonderful. When you were there, did you happen to see a picture of that really cool double-belled horn that was made with a valve to switch between the too? It was really awesome (designed for one mute in one bell so that you could switch without having to pull the mute in and out). Drop me an e-mail or something and we can talk! Thanks!

--Stephen

P.S. My teacher is a local guy (principal trumpet of the Mesa symphony), Mr. Kingsley. He's also a teacher at a local elementary school. A really great guy and a wonderful teaher.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great discussion!

I have this Olds Clark Terry trumpet that has a really big bell and is easy to get that rich, syrupy sound on . . . great for small group work.

However, my "main" horn these days is a Bach L25, and I've also been playing a Bach L43.
The kind of work I do (all commercial/jazz) rarely requires me to try to consciously alter my sound. And when I pick up that Clark Terry Olds, especially after playing my Bach for a long period of time, it might mess me up because I'm still going for "my" sound that I'm accustomed to hearing coming out of the Bach.

I played that Olds exclusively for about 6 months a couple years back, and often wonder why I went back to the Bach . . . something about peer pressure, I suppose. After playing the Olds for that long, I was able to sound all sorts of ways, even sorta "legit."

And now I'm even thinking about selling the Olds because I haven't played it in a while, and it seems a shame for it to sit in a case not getting played. If you're interested, write me at my email address, below.

Later, folks!
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bach Strad, 72 lightweight, with the 43 lead pipe, XL bore valves, amado water keys, and I had the tuning slide braces removed to take just a little more weight off of the horn. It has a rich buttery sound in the lower register and really barks up top. With my Warburton 4SV/8* it really screams on lead (at least as much as I can make it scream, up to like a G or Ab) and with my Marcinkiewicz E8 Rick Baptist, it has a nice clean sound for jazz, and even legit. It takes alot of air, but if you can fill it, its the best horn I've ever put my chops to.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally own a Bach LB 25 bell and it works well for me. It allows the sound to be big as well as focused without being too bright. With my sound, I certainly don't have any problems with being bright!

A buddy of mine was playing the Bach ML 37 and bought a Yamaha Bobby Shew Z. (has that one been mentioned yet?) He could rip on that horn! If you are looking for something that can sizzle and it's within your budget, go for the Z horn.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had set my gold WT and Callet Jazz aside to play some horns before they went out the door. 'Twas truly "comin' home" to put the mpc back into these horns again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: