• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What happened in R/P?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ward42
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badebop wrote:
Maybe we need some "Minutemen" to keep an eye on things?

I think that's what moderators are for, but when they lack objectivity, things like the RP forum getting locked down occur.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet356 wrote:
It's [the topic of racism]discussed [in high school classrooms] to the point of making me feel guilty about being white... You don't need to feel guilty, just compassionate and understanding.
Thanks for the browbeating! But the poster went on:

trumpet356, you sure do know how to beat a dead horse; how you can get "browbeating" out of this post is just beyond me; you definitely don't know me at all which is fine. My reason for limiting my posts are the same reasons many blacks have stopped or limited their postings in that forum; many of us talk about the nasty, condescending and sometimes racist attitudes that exist in that forum. Take a look around, there aren’t too many blacks that post nearly as often as they once did, although this may be somewhat comforting to you; the R/P forum is now yours, enjoy.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB wrote:
My reason for limiting my posts are the same reasons many blacks have stopped or limited their postings in that forum; many of us talk about the nasty, condescending and sometimes racist attitudes that exist in that forum.

Hey man, you could have remained anonymous! We're not "beating a dead horse" with your remarks; I'm just using them to illustrate some of the nonsense that the Left posted before the forum was shut down, and why AA for the far Left IS necessary.

BTW: You don't speak for all blacks - probably just the dyed in the wool Lefties (the ones I know laugh at the tired, uniformed positions you continue to trot out - but then, I guess they're not Black because they are CONSERVATIVES ). You're free to speak for yourself, and you JUST PERFECTLY illustrated what I wrote in my post above. You feel threatened, insulted when asked to back up your 100 million slave quote. You didn't, you don't, and I suspect, you will never back it up. Additionally, since there's no way you can back it up, (and I suspect even you realize you've been duped), you won't come back to the conversation and say something along the lines of, "Hey yeah, I was wrong. I don't know who came up with that figure - or why - but they were way off the mark. But whether it's 14 million or 100 thousand, it was certainly an evil in the history of our Country". But the Far Left can't do that. No intellectual honesty, no "Good Faith" debate. If you don't let them present their numbers (facts, positions, etc.) unchallenged, they feel you are being nasty.

Hence, the Affirmative Action for the far Left, that you will certainly be a recipient of if you ever decide to post in R&P again.

ARB wrote:
Take a look around, there aren’t too many blacks that post nearly as often as they once did, although this may be somewhat comforting to you; the R/P forum is now yours, enjoy.

ARB: I noticed that many of the far Left stopped posting there, including some Blacks. Hey, their decision. (I think those on the Left that, well, left, did so because they were tired of intellectually getting beaten up, as you did. 100 million... LOL!! Too much! )There are plenty of folks that did continue to post, from a bunch of cultures and races. Ray Nelson didn't seem to have too much of a problem getting his ideas across (although I noticed he recently got hammered in the Lounge about his take on the Mac ).

I'm sorry ARB; you're judged on the strength of your ideas, arguments, and facts (nobody here really cares about your color - we're musicians, man). If you're hurt because your positions are often lame, get better positions! (And you can start with coming clean on the 100 million nonsense )
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet356 dude, you should get out in the sunshine more often, you take this stuff much too seriously. Go out and rollerblade, play a round of golf, go mountain climbing, play tennis, jog through the park, go to the gym, take up Tai Chi, meet then make love to a BEAUTIFUL woman. Life is just much too short to be so wrap around R/P.

R/P - RIP

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB wrote:
trumpet356 dude, you should get out in the sunshine more often, you take this stuff much too seriously.

You may be right. It's probably the reason whenever I see absolute nonsense posted here, I need to put my 2 cents in. Either way, since I have that tendency, and guys on the other side won't admit their facts are wrong - hence, their conclusions flawed - it probably is better that R&P goes bye-bye. Hey, we're not curing cancer here.

ARB wrote:
Go out and rollerblade, play a round of golf, go mountain climbing, play tennis, jog through the park, go to the gym, take up Tai Chi, meet then make love to a BEAUTIFUL woman. Life is just much too short to be so wrap around R/P.

The best revenge is to lead an absolutely awesome life. I wish you great success in that endeavor.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only forum where discussion of religion and politics is permitted is the Religion & Politics Forum, which, as noted, is locked. Please refrain from using other forums to try to continue discussions from the locked forum.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think they were trying to work out their differences, even if they agree to disagree. Isn't that what this forum is for? Things get way uglier in here. What gives? Seems rather inconsistent to me.
RNelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet356 wrote:
There are plenty of folks that did continue to post, from a bunch of cultures and races. Ray Nelson didn't seem to have too much of a problem getting his ideas across (although I noticed he recently got hammered in the Lounge about his take on the Mac ).

Heh...heh....

Its because I miss the R&P. I was hankering for a little tussle...PC v. MAC is always good for a fight!

There were some great and heady debates in the R&P forum and I enjoyed most of them. I must admit that over the last few months it was not worth posting...mainly because cats stopped presenting sound ideas.

For any good debate to occur there must be at least a little bit of aggreement or common ground as a starting point. The most imprtant of those, when dealing with politics, is the idea that the guy on the other side is a good cat and honestly wants what is best, just as you do. When both sides agree to that then the debate shifts away from the personalities and back on to the ideas.

That whole concept got lost in the R&P. "Nazis", "facists", etc.... the R&P became less about the ideas and more about animosity towards one another....that's why I stopped posting and stopped reading.

Allen made a good point on the PC v. MAC thread that was mentioned, stating that the R&P did not die, but rather like a cancer, had spread. Some truth there...some guys, after I posted my thoughts went right to calling me ignorant and never dealt with my arguments. I can't speak for Allen, but I think that is the kind of thing he is talking about...ideas stop, name calling starts.

Am I ignorant...of course, on a ton of subjects, we all are. No big deal. There was a time when I learned a lot on the R&P....when ideas were being exchanged and we were able to draw on the strength of knowledge from the different posters. Yep...we can learn form everybody.

One thing that I try to remember is that we all have much more in common that we have differences. I have not doubt that if I ran into my left leaning R&P buddies on a gig or at a bar we would have a great time talking about trumpet, sports, babes, beer, and yes, politics....just like I do with most of my musician friends who lean to the left.

I do hope they open it up again and we try to get back to a place where it can be heated and civil.

Ray
www.raynelson.net
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that RNelson has it right. While there is a reason to avoid talking about religion and politics in mixed company, there have been a good number of intelligent exchanges in R&P. No other forum on TH has me Googling on church history, dinosaur tracks in Tibet, Social Security reform, etc. I think it's fun and stimulating.

As for mudslinging and stupidity - I'm thinking "City Mouse, Country Mouse." It just doesn't bother me very much. I can get in the passing lane and move right by it.

I'd like R&P back.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafterman wrote:
No other forum on TH has me Googling on church history, dinosaur tracks in Tibet, Social Security reform, etc. I think it's fun and stimulating.

I'd like R&P back.

I'd like it back too. There's a lot of R/P stuff happening in the news this week (cough...Quran...cough) that I'm itching to discuss or at least read opinions about.

Oh and Rafterman's point about Googling topics can be great thing about debates in R/P. Sometimes you have to Google you arse off just to keep up with the topics, facts, history, etc.
ward42
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can post like a liberal and just make wild statements and ignore it when proven wrong. Who needs research!
The Glidd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ward42 wrote:
Or you can post like a liberal and just make wild statements and ignore it when proven wrong. Who needs research!

Welcome to the reason R/P is dead.
ward42
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glidd wrote:
ward42 wrote:

Oh, should I have not mentioned that?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ward42 wrote:
The Glidd wrote:
ward42 wrote:

He wasn't agreeing with you???
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
ward42 wrote:
The Glidd wrote:
ward42 wrote:

He wasn't agreeing with you???

I wouldn't be surprised to find that those in charge of locking down R/P are monitoring the postings here on the Reveille forum to see if attitudes towards fellow THers have changed any before they decide to reopen the R/P forum.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate" Cool Hand Luke 1967. Great movie

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

placebo11
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarface wrote:
rafterman wrote:
No other forum on TH has me Googling on church history, dinosaur tracks in Tibet, Social Security reform, etc. I think it's fun and stimulating.

I'd like R&P back.

I'd like it back too. There's a lot of R/P stuff happening in the news this week (cough...Quran...cough) that I'm itching to discuss or at least read opinions about.

Oh and Rafterman's point about Googling topics can be great thing about debates in R/P. Sometimes you have to Google you arse off just to keep up with the topics, facts, history, etc.

Hmm.. I dunno if the left would wanna talk about that story
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO we need to build another site for trumpet players who need to argue about all that is not related to the trumpet, give em free lifetime memberships, and keep em off this site.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be insensitive, offensive, non-inclusive, close minded, and unconstitutional.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badebop wrote:
That would be insensitive, offensive, non-inclusive, close minded, and unconstitutional.

Not necessarily unconstitutional, but we can't discuss that here.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Reveille becoming R/P?

I like this, it's kinda' like 'R/P Lite'.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: