• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone leaving soon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you leaving TH soon?
Yes
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
No
72%
 72%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 47

puckish02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I didn't realize he had been banned . . ."

I guess that's the "rub", isn't it? Folks have just disappeared over time and, without any kind of indignant response, like what I've introduced here, the assumption is they just "faded away" (when the reality is they were probably banished under cloak of darkness - likely by a lone, rogue, intolerant moderator who likes to throw his weight around). I seriously doubt Johnsboy is this guy's lone victim.

Again, hey mods; maybe you should talk amongst yourselves and think about whether or not the actions of a few (or just one) are painting an unsavory picture of you all, as a group. I don't know how moderators are chosen (is there some kind of induction process?), so I don't know how you would drop one from your "august body" for repeated boorish behavior and stifling of discussion. You should give it some thought, though - he's often pretty out of control.

ConnArtist: Johnsboy still lurks here but can't log on (of course) - he said to tell you he appreciated your kind thoughts.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, this is not government. This forum is owned and run by someone who pays the bills in keeping it going. You are a GUEST of that person, in effect. Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. I really don't see how this is such a difficult thing to grasp. If you were to come into my home and behave that way, i would ask you to leave too.

You have the right to not come here, but if you do, you are expected to abide by the rules. Furthermore, the mods have NO obligation in any way shape for form in tolerating anybody. I

puckish02 wrote:

"You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules."

During the fifties, in the McCarthy era, the John Birch Society came out with a mantra much like this; "America, Love it or Leave it". Eventually clearer heads began to prevail and the response to that became "America, Change it or Lose it". Many of the folks heading up the movement to confront the bullies and take back their country . . . were the musicians of this nation - at least that's how I remember it. If you want to borrow your bumper sticker discussion points from the John Birch Society and Joseph McCarthy I guess I can't stop you. Sadly, at least in my view, from the 60s to the present, the number of venues for trumpet players dwindled to where the majority of opportunities to play wind ensemble music in the US were in the military or in churches of a size to support such ensembles. What's the outcome of that? A vocal community of conservative, religeous minded guys started controlling discussion where prior they would have been ostracised for their intolerant views. Given what must feel to some of them like ultimate power a few (only a few) have chosen to flaunt that power, purport to speak for the whole of the moderators, and say intemperate things like "You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules." Can there be a more childish, playground-like response to a disagreement?

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
Dude, this is not government. This forum is owned and run by someone who pays the bills in keeping it going. You are a GUEST of that person, in effect. Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. I really don't see how this is such a difficult thing to grasp. If you were to come into my home and behave that way, i would ask you to leave too.

You have the right to not come here, but if you do, you are expected to abide by the rules. Furthermore, the mods have NO obligation in any way shape for form in tolerating anybody.

It is childish to come here and stamp your feet and lament that your "friend" was banned - OMG - how unfair! What part about the fact that this site is not owned or run by you can you not understand? That the owner has every right and privilege to determine what can and cannot be said on HIS site? What rule are enforce and HOW they are enforced? And that they own NO ONE an arbitration meeting or anything similar if they so choose?

puckish02 wrote:

"You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules."

During the fifties, in the McCarthy era, the John Birch Society came out with a mantra much like this; "America, Love it or Leave it". Eventually clearer heads began to prevail and the response to that became "America, Change it or Lose it". Many of the folks heading up the movement to confront the bullies and take back their country . . . were the musicians of this nation - at least that's how I remember it. If you want to borrow your bumper sticker discussion points from the John Birch Society and Joseph McCarthy I guess I can't stop you. Sadly, at least in my view, from the 60s to the present, the number of venues for trumpet players dwindled to where the majority of opportunities to play wind ensemble music in the US were in the military or in churches of a size to support such ensembles. What's the outcome of that? A vocal community of conservative, religeous minded guys started controlling discussion where prior they would have been ostracised for their intolerant views. Given what must feel to some of them like ultimate power a few (only a few) have chosen to flaunt that power, purport to speak for the whole of the moderators, and say intemperate things like "You're always free to start up your own board with your own rules." Can there be a more childish, playground-like response to a disagreement?

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
puckish02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. I really don't see how this is such a difficult thing to grasp. If you were to come into my home and behave that way, i would ask you to leave too."

Oh I grasp it alright. Here's something you should consider: the owners of this site established it with the specific intent of providing a place where invited guests could meet and, in a civil manner, discuss topics of the day related to a shared passion. Essentially TH is their (the owner's) home. The owner can't be there all the time so he asks a designated number of folks (moderators) to oversee the discussions and moderate disputes. Somewhere along the way one of these "chosen ones" decides he needs to insinuate, uninvited, his views into conversations about a topic near and dear to his heart . . . and to stifle differing points of view. He does this by, without discussion among the rest of the mods or with the owner, summarily banishing anyone who offends his own world view. Even worse, after having accomplished the invited guest's ouster this guy tries to paint the action as having been sanctioned by all of the moderators instead of as the petty act of a single bully. Since you mentioned how you would feel about how guests are treated in your house - tell me, tough guy, how would you feel if another of your guests started culling the discussion group to satisfy his own desires and attributed the culling to you? I don't think you'd like that. I don't think you would feebly defend your moderator guest when people started to object.

And while we're at it - just what "way" did the person we're talking about behave? Do you even know what prompted the out of control individual to banish him? If you do then I find myself wondering if, maybe, you are that individual. I don't insist on freedom of speech and neither does my friend. I do insist that, when I'm an invited guest to a discussion and someone doesn't agree with my position or mode of speech that they either explain the error in my reasoning . . . or shut the hell up. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me - I do mind if my words are deleted and then snide comments are made about me and my deleted words.

Are you the rogue moderator in question?
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. This is something you should consider: the owner(s) of this site have extended to you whatever privileges you have to post your messages on this PRIVATELY OWNED message board.

You went updid you think would happen?
I'm not defending the moderator per se, but I am taking issue with the entitlement you have been displaying in your posts.

yews, the moderator is as you mentioned an extension of the owner. As such, he/she again has no responsibility to put up with anything at all. If you don't like it, you are, as I mentioned totally free to not post messages here, and to even go and establish your own board.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter you acted. The fact is, the mods took exception, and banned you. They owe us no explanation unless they so desire to do so.

You can demand what you want all you want, but the mod(s)have already told you to shut up by banning you. They don't owe you any discussion as to why what you are doing is verboten, and the certainly don't owe you any arbitration process. This is what you don't get - YOU DON'T MAKE THE RULES HERE.

And why you would feel compelled to call me "tough guy"? Well, that too is just childish. But I totally expect that from you now.

And finally, no I am not a moderator. There are no rogue moderators here - just thos e appointed by the owner. Deal with it.

puckish02 wrote:
"Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. I really don't see how this is such a difficult thing to grasp. If you were to come into my home and behave that way, i would ask you to leave too."

Oh I grasp it alright. Here's something you should consider: the owners of this site established it with the specific intent of providing a place where invited guests could meet and, in a civil manner, discuss topics of the day related to a shared passion. Essentially TH is their (the owner's) home. The owner can't be there all the time so he asks a designated number of folks (moderators) to oversee the discussions and moderate disputes. Somewhere along the way one of these "chosen ones" decides he needs to insinuate, uninvited, his views into conversations about a topic near and dear to his heart . . . and to stifle differing points of view. He does this by, without discussion among the rest of the mods or with the owner, summarily banishing anyone who offends his own world view. Even worse, after having accomplished the invited guest's ouster this guy tries to paint the action as having been sanctioned by all of the moderators instead of as the petty act of a single bully. Since you mentioned how you would feel about how guests are treated in your house - tell me, tough guy, how would you feel if another of your guests started culling the discussion group to satisfy his own desires and attributed the culling to you? I don't think you'd like that. I don't think you would feebly defend your moderator guest when people started to object.

And while we're at it - just what "way" did the person we're talking about behave? Do you even know what prompted the out of control individual to banish him? If you do then I find myself wondering if, maybe, you are that individual. I don't insist on freedom of speech and neither does my friend. I do insist that, when I'm an invited guest to a discussion and someone doesn't agree with my position or mode of speech that they either explain the error in my reasoning . . . or shut the hell up. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me - I do mind if my words are deleted and then snide comments are made about me and my deleted words.

Are you the rogue moderator in question?

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
YOU DON'T MAKE THE RULES HERE.

I think everyone understands that. The question is one of fundamental fairness. Was what transpired fair or not?
I don't know and I wouldn't think that you do either.

Don Lee
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. My point is that expectation of fundamental fairness is nto necessarily applicable here, and Johnboy is trying to impose his definition of it However, given that mod's side of the story is "The user in question was banned after repeated warnings and continuing to post material in violation of the Usage Agreement. " then if that much is true (and who are we to believe that it isn't), then all arguments of fairness are moot. We are not owed fairness by the mods (not that I am implying that this mod was not fair), and we are neither guaranteed freedom of speech nor the right to argue with a moderator.

Sorry, but for all my experience and time here, I have never seen the banishment of an individual who didn't behave in a manner that provoked it. I don't think that happened here either. I don't have a problem with Johnboy, in fact, I enjoyed his posts. I just have issues with those who constantly abuse the "freedom of speech" victimization card as a defense for uncivil, inappropriate, or undesired (by the mods, etc) behavior.

However, you have a point, and I will post no more on this.

Don Lee wrote:
Quote:
YOU DON'T MAKE THE RULES HERE.

I think everyone understands that. The question is one of fundamental fairness. Was what transpired fair or not?
I don't know and I wouldn't think that you do either.

Don Lee

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My point is that expectation of fundamental fairness is nto necessarily applicable here

Of course the moderators have the right to be "unfair", because it is, as you say, their forum. I would suggest however, that no one wants that and certainly not the moderators.

Who owns the forum? Interesting question. Legally, I guess whoever established the forum. In reality, I believe the true owners are the people who spend the time and effort contributing to make TH the (mostly) great place that it is.
And that is precisely why contributors become so upset when they feel "their" forum is being ruined.

A somewhat simple analogy would be, if I threw a party and no one came. Is it a party then? The guests make the party, the host sets the scene.

Puckish has posted his understanding of the facts as told to him by Johnsboy. The moderator(s) have posted theirs. So where is the truth? I don't know, and I still maintain you cannot either.

I have been reading the forum since 2001 and I could not tell you with certainty if anyone has ever been banished. How would I know?

I do know that one moderator re-wrote an innocuous post of mine and changed it's meaning. He did this without noting that it had been done, so no one would know the post was not what I meant. He politely informed me that he simply did not see a problem in "re-writing history" (my words) and in fact, that is the prerogative of the moderator. Of course it is, but it is fair? Or more importantly, is that sort of thing good for TH?

Don Lee
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen good moderators, and I've seen moderators who have a sense of entitlement and are nasty as all get out. I was banned once from a jazz forum for mentioning that I was starting a simple Facebook fan page for those interested in acoustic jazz. The moderator took exception thinking I was trying to compete with him even though the facebook page was just that, a simple facebook group and he had a major site with advertising, etc. I thought it was an overreaction, particularly as I was a pretty consistent poster, but, as has been said, it was his forum. Doesn't make it right however.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of at least one other poster that was banned.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:
Doesn't make it right however.

And I think that is the concern.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to stay out of this, but...

If you have followed the postings of Johnsboy you will find many times over the last six months or so where his posts have been edited by the mods.

There have been claims of unfair moderation over that time also. Sometimes I agreed. Sometimes I didn't agree.

This could be a case of over zealous mods or someone who isn't interested in coloring between the lines.

You can decide for yourself.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One doesn't have to read his posts and become upset to the point of leaving TH. If his posts offend - ignore them. You probably don't let "one person" in the "real world" cause you to leave the things you enjoy. One or more people making questionable comments on this "cyberspace" forum won't cause me to leave TH. I just ignore 'em in my mind and ignore 'em when I see the discussions going nowhere. Why should I let such people push my buttons?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
JBResponse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you have followed the postings of Johnsboy you will find many times over the last six months or so where his posts have been edited by the mods."

I just read the last six months of Johnsboy's posts and found that exactly zero of his posts were edited by the mods and exactly zero of his posts were removed. The only actions taken by the mods with regard to johnsboy was banishment. Period.

Ditto Puckish02 - no edits, no removals - just banishment.

Here's another irony for you - Puckish02 just got a PM from the mods . . . but he can't open it because one has to log in in order to do so - the mods, apparently, don't even understand their own mail handling system.

LittleRusty: you need to tell the truth - making false claims about people who can't defend themselves is almost (but not quite) as unconscionable as banishing members in good standing because you disagree with their world view and want to silence them.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBResponse,

Your "facts" are wrong. How would you know if a post has been removed? By reading it? Hint: if it has been removed you cannot read it.

I am taking the high road by not going into details, but suffice it to say JB and I got into quite a spitting match in late July that ended up in a good number of posts that were removed by the moderators.

Edit:

And there were other posts since then.

P.S. I agree about false claims, which is why I never would post them.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else think that at least a couple of participants in this thread are actually Johnsboy? My spider sense is tingling.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I sure hope "spider sense" is not a euphomism....
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBResponse wrote:
"If you have followed the postings of Johnsboy you will find many times over the last six months or so where his posts have been edited by the mods."

I just read the last six months of Johnsboy's posts and found that exactly zero of his posts were edited by the mods and exactly zero of his posts were removed. The only actions taken by the mods with regard to johnsboy was banishment. Period.

Here's another irony for you - Puckish02 just got a PM from the mods . . . but he can't open it because one has to log in in order to do so - the mods, apparently, don't even understand their own mail handling system.

LittleRusty: you need to tell the truth - making false claims about people who can't defend themselves is almost (but not quite) as unconscionable as banishing members in good standing because you disagree with their world view and want to silence them.

I don't expect an apology for your insinuating that I was lying, but here is one of the redacted posts that you missed.
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99046&highlight=

You will note that in this thread there is one post that was removed with a comment from the moderators and then a new post by JB edited by the moderators.

No false claims here, only the truth.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBResponse wrote:

LittleRusty wrote:
I don't expect an apology for your insinuating that I was lying, but here is one of the redacted posts that you missed.

You will note that in this thread there is one post that was removed with a comment from the moderators and then a new post by JB edited by the moderators.

I know that some of johnboy's posts have been edited or removed and some threads have been removed. Rusty provided an example of one that's been edited (that I posted on too). The posts and threads that have been removed aren't available anymore because... well... they've been removed. They're gone.

I'm not saying I agree with the editing or post removal, as some threads I've posted on have vanished too. I'm just saying that that it's happened, because I was there, too.

Anyway, it probably doesn't really matter that much what I think.

lh wrote:
Pat,

I sure hope "spider sense" is not a euphomism....

Is that like a Euphonium?

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

No false claims here, only the truth.

Rusty he didn't miss anything. He made those posts. As I hinted earlier, I am 99.7% sure that both Puckish & JBresponse are Johnsboy posting under multiple user names (and therefore once again violating the User Agreement).
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: