• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going 100% Paperless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I have used a 12.9" iPad Pro for a number of years almost exclusively. The only situations I still read from print is gigs where I do not get the music early or national tours. I have lost some vision and the consistent lighting and clearness of the iPad has made things much easier.

However, I've had no issues in my entire experience. I'm not sure about the reliability of Android or other tablets, but I feel confident with the iPad. To me, it's no more of an issue than making sure you have power for a stand light. My only issue is that my eyesight continues to degrade. I hope they will release a larger tablet as my vision goes south.

HTH

Ben

As someone who uses ForScore on an iPad with a screen slightly smaller than an A4 piece of paper, but also a bit put off by dropping a grand or more to get two more inches of screen size, I had briefly looked into Android tablets as there are significantly less expensive models with 12" screens. But...... ForScore is only available for Apple products. So it's really iPad or paper.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am within a few weeks of my 74th birthday, and, burdened with having to schlepp around a big notebook of printed parts for each of the 2 groups I play in, I committed about 3 or 4 years ago (right before COVID and 2 knee replacements) to go from over to putting my music on IPAD. I started with the smaller IPAD which worked pretty well at first, but I began to realize that I was making more and more reading errors.

I am not complaining because my overall health is good (aside from a few surgical repairs every year or so) and my overall vision, while great for outdoors or driving, is requiring more and more "reader strength") all the time. Anyway, by last fall I had graduated to the 12 inch screen, specialized IPAD stands, and dedicated music stand special prescription readers.

Additionally, I have about a 45 minute commute to both bands each way, and we often rehearse one of the bands for 2 hours a couple of hours before the weekly concerts, and my IPAD battery is challenged to hold up without my being able to top it off. So I began to reassess whether to use printed or PDF.

Since COVID, the bands I play in now put the music up in PDF format rather than heading out sheets, which would be helpful for IPAD, but puts a strain on ink costs. After discussing my problems with my eye doc, I have decided that the printed .music is much easier for me to read, if I have enough light, due to size and clear contrast on bright paper.

Anyway, I use the IPADS now with Fourscore to store, and print on my new Epson tank printer, which is much better on ink than my 14 year old HP.

Being able to read and store electronic files would, in the long and short run, be ideal, but in my case, not the best solution.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:

I used to use an AirTurn pedal, but it was one more charging issue. I now use a Flic controller. To go backward, you have to press twice, diminishing the chances of accidentally going the wrong way. Using magnets, in conjunction with plastic washers and nuts, I can mount the Flic on the valve block and use my left thumb to turn pages; super-convenient. The magnets make it a snap (pun intended) to swap the Flic from horn to horn.

I can't see this in my head. Can you share a photo or two of your setup with this?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the tiny scanner app on my phone and it makes nice looking PDFs. I put them on my old iPad Pro 12.9 inch that I bought refurbished for cheap about 8 years ago. The battery is starting to wane, so I would be worried on a 4 hour gig but it's never died on me. I haven't had to play a 4 hour gig in quite some time. It HAS overheated twice during hot outdoor gigs in the sun. It's good to have a backup binder of the paper charts in those situations.
I currently don't use a page turning app and I usually just read the docs straight off of iBooks or Dropbox. I had some issues with Fourscore in the past and now I just avoid it. I think my operating system is too old, but I'm not really good about tech like that.
Sometimes on wedding gigs I might miss the first few bars of a tune while I pull up the chart. I should probably work on that...

The benefits are not needing to print, not needing a stand light, and not worrying about wind.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I use the tiny scanner app on my phone and it makes nice looking PDFs. I put them on my old iPad Pro 12.9 inch that I bought refurbished for cheap about 8 years ago. The battery is starting to wane, so I would be worried on a 4 hour gig but it's never died on me. I haven't had to play a 4 hour gig in quite some time.

When I have concerns about battery life I just invert my iPad and plug a backup battery or charger into the USB-C port which is now on the top.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
I can't see this in my head. Can you share a photo or two of your setup with this?

Here are some photos of the Flic and my Bb & C trumpets, along with a close up of the magnet mounting on the Bb:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/LS1T5cboZ9

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/D8V789X11x

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/HNc0hD0712

And here's a short video switching between horns. I bought the plastic screws, washers, and nuts at the hardware. The magnets came from Amazon. The magnet mount of the lower horn was an earlier try that has the magnet glued to a Curry Harmonic Balancer. The direct screw mount is much better.

Page turns are easily accomplished with the left thumb...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/1Yy2RsV6fv

HTH

Ben
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
trumpet2012fhl wrote:

Here are some photos of the Flic and my Bb & C trumpets, along with a close up of the magnet mounting on the Bb:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/LS1T5cboZ9

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/D8V789X11x

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/HNc0hD0712

And here's a short video switching between horns. I bought the plastic screws, washers, and nuts at the hardware. The magnets came from Amazon. The magnet mount of the lower horn was an earlier try that has the magnet glued to a Curry Harmonic Balancer. The direct screw mount is much better.

Page turns are easily accomplished with the left thumb...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199033223@N02/shares/1Yy2RsV6fv

HTH

Ben

Really awesome stuff! I didn't read closely enough that they were plastic washers and my first thought was scratching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: