• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air speed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most (clearly not all) would agree that controlling pitch is a matter of balancing lip tension, air support, and tongue level. That being said, it is reasonable to assume that players will emphasize those three variables differently. Less emphasis on one variable will simply require more emphasis on another.

If a player places less priority on air support, he will need to compensate with more emphasis on lip tension and/or tongue levels.

If a player places less priority on tongue levels, he will need to compensate with more emphasis on lip tension and/or air support.

Many great players like Herbert L. Clarke have found that minimizing the reliance on lip tension was the most efficient route for them, allowing them to play with the greatest ease an instrument that can be quite challenging.

My own experience is that many years of focusing on lip tension got me an average amateur range. By shifting the focus to tongue level and air support, I gained 1-1/2 octaves in a matter of months. I hope others will experience this kind of success!

It seems that success in the upper register is illusive to most. That is unfortunate, as it seems to make everything easier; even if you aren't bringing solos up 8va. It is nice not tensing as the e-flat approaches in Haydn's Trumpet Concerto. It's just another note that is WELL below your max. Also, once your range has expanded, the notes seem "closer together." This makes things that are technically challenging seem less so, regardless of register.

The ultimate goal of course, is to find what works for each of us. I believe I have learned what works. I KNOW I have learned what works for ME!

I know there are people out there that have a different view on how things work. That's fine. If you have another view, and it brings you the results you want, Keep it up. If, however, you are still searching, I encourage you to follow in the footsteps of Clarke, Gordon, and so many others. You might be very pleasantly surprised how easy playing in the upper register can become in a VERY short period of time.

[ This Message was edited by: comebackkid on 2002-02-18 15:50 ]
fzr Phil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comeback, Comeback kid!
Yamaha Maestro Cornet RW3
Yamaha pro 631 Flugel dw3fL
Yamaha YCR6610T Soprano
Elkhart pocket trumpet
www.thundersleybrassband.co.uk
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-18 15:46, comebackkid wrote:
I think that most (clearly not all) would agree that controlling pitch is a matter of balancing lip tension, air support, and tongue level. That being said, it is reasonable to assume that players will emphasize those three variables differently. Less emphasis on one variable will simply require more emphasis on another.

If a player places less priority on air support, he will need to compensate with more emphasis on lip tension and/or tongue levels.

If a player places less priority on tongue levels, he will need to compensate with more emphasis on lip tension and/or air support.

Many great players like Herbert L. Clarke have found that minimizing the reliance on lip tension was the most efficient route for them, allowing them to play with the greatest ease an instrument that can be quite challenging.

My own experience is that many years of focusing on lip tension got me an average amateur range. By shifting the focus to tongue level and air support, I gained 1-1/2 octaves in a matter of months. I hope others will experience this kind of success!

It seems that success in the upper register is illusive to most. That is unfortunate, as it seems to make everything easier; even if you aren't bringing solos up 8va. It is nice not tensing as the e-flat approaches in Haydn's Trumpet Concerto. It's just another note that is WELL below your max. Also, once your range has expanded, the notes seem "closer together." This makes things that are technically challenging seem less so, regardless of register.

The ultimate goal of course, is to find what works for each of us. I believe I have learned what works. I KNOW I have learned what works for ME!

I know there are people out there that have a different view on how things work. That's fine. If you have another view, and it brings you the results you want, Keep it up. If, however, you are still searching, I encourage you to follow in the footsteps of Clarke, Gordon, and so many others. You might be very pleasantly surprised how easy playing in the upper register can become in a VERY short period of time.

[ This Message was edited by: comebackkid on 2002-02-18 15:50 ]

comebackkid

Im just curious about your concentration on lip tension. Please describe exactly what you concentrated on? Was it a method or something which showed you how to use the lips? Also what was your range before the 1 1/2 octave increase?

Regards
Jeff Lambardino

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-03-02 15:30 ]
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Did I use a "method" with regards to the lips? No....Just concentrated on contracting toward the center.

You ask what my range was back then....
E above high c. Beyond that was an occasional squeakin' f.

Now I can get to g above double c (and higher) daily. The few times I have put in the effort for a max high, I got to tripple C. I assume I could do that most days, but I don't like to push it. I like to try to be efficient. I do wander if that is the right way to look at it though. Maybe if I put in maximum effort daily, I would get even higher.

Well I don't think I will try hard to get any higher. I have all the other areas of trumpet playing to improve upon. Everything else needs to catch up! Speaking of which, time to hit the Clark Technical Studies.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 14:00 ]
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-04 01:26, comebackkid wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Did I use a "method" with regards to the lips? No....Just concentrated on contracting toward the center.

You ask what my range was back then....
E above high c. Beyond that was an occasional squeakin' f.

Now I can get to g above double c (and higher) daily. The few times I have put in the effort for a max high, I got to tripple C. I assume I could do that most days, but I don't like to push it. I like to try to be efficient. I do wander if that is the right way to look at it though. Maybe if I put in maximum effort daily, I would get even higher.

Well I don't think I will try hard to get any higher. I have all the other areas of trumpet playing to improve upon. Everything else needs to catch up! Speaking of which, time to hit the Clark Technical Studies.

Hey comebackkid come back where can I hear some sound clips of your playing making use of your range in live performance situations?
I just want to hear the type of core and control in your sound in the extreme upper register.
I would like to hear the same from Quadruple C. Where can I hear playing samples at?

Regards
Jeff Lambardino
Lead Tpt Buddy Rich Orchestra
Lead Tpt Max Gregor Orchestra
Lead Tpt Slide Hampton (Germany)
Lead Tpt Jiggs Whigam (Germany)
Las Vegas show bands, free lance, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-03-08 15:39 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hesitate to bring this topic to the top again, I finally found the reference I wanted. It's from Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind, by Brian Frederiksen (ed. by John Taylor), pp. 152-153. I'll pull a few lines...
---
Dynamics

The velocity of the air stream varies with dynamics. In soft playing, the air stream is slow, for loud playing, the air stream is fast.

For dynamics, a musician must be concerned with the velocity of the air, not air pressure.

If you were to blow fast air you would get louder.
---

So, Arnold Jacobs equates air speed with dynamics, not pitch. In other places, he equates air pressure with pitch, and lip tension. BTW, anyone who thinks Jacobs didn't know embouchures inside out, ain't familiar with the man and his teachings. And before anybody asks did I know him, nope. I wish! I know him through his writings, a couple of books, and my teacher was a student of his.

Don't know why I'm putting out this flamebait; reckon I felt it was something ya' oughta' know. More likely, I hate not closing a loose end (when I couldn't think of the reference I was using for my earlier analogies and other various and sundry dribble).

Toodles! - Don
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

This thread is just becoming more and more interesting by the minute. So it would appear that the Chicago School and the Caruso camp have a very similar view of how air speed functions in sound production.

Yes, I think it would be fair to characterize Mr. Jacobs as having more that a rudimentary sense of how the air works in a brass player's embouchure.

CR

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-03-09 09:43 ]
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contention is that Mr. Jacobs knew the mechanics as well as anatomy and airflow. Elsewhere, he relates that he uses "wind" rather than "pressure" because wind implies movement, which is required for sound production, Air pressure can be static (my example -- there's pressure inside an aerosol can, but until you push the button it's static).

Certainly if you make your aperture smaller while blowing the same amount of air (volumetric mass density, if you prefer), the airspeed must increase to maintain that quantity and a pressure differential results. How do you sustain the pressure differential, when the energy has to go somewhere? I'd say, tighten your lips (go higher), or increase the amplitude of vibration (get louder).

Research shows that the actual volume of air decreases as we ascend, but the air pressure increases. As a matter of fact, any brass player playing the same enharmonic note (i.e., same pitch) will exhibit roughly the same pressure. In other words, if I, a French horn, and trombone player all play the same pitch, we'll all have the same internal pressure, though the airflow will be different.

I maintain my belief that thinking "faster" works because as we tighten our lips in response to the faster air they vibrate at a higher pitch. OTOH, if we think "louder" we again blow more air, but without tightening our chops.

This whole thread smacks of over analysis, imho. While the musician in me abhors it, the engineer laps it up. Hopefully, here at the computer and maybe in practice (part of the time) the engineer can have fun; in performance and musical practice the musician had better be in charge!

As an aside, I wonder if we can actually blow faster air without tensing our chops to hold it back? Are we perhaps opening the aperture to allow more vibrating area as we tense to maintain the same pitch while getting louder? I feel like this is what I do.

Probably past time to turn my muddled brain off!

See ya' - Don
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

"As an aside, I wonder if we can actually blow faster air without tensing our chops to hold it back? Are we perhaps opening the aperture to allow more vibrating area as we tense to maintain the same pitch while getting louder? I feel like this is what I do. "

You have, of course, hit right on what the issue is, that seems to be constantly overlooked by the fast air campers. I would rather think in terms of vibrating mass as opposed to aperture. It requires more tension/control/effort from the facial muscles to maintain a vibrating mass (the amount of lip tissue that is vibrating) at greater amplitude than it does at less amplitude. And this would be true also to increase the pitch. As vibrating mass decreases, the pitch goes up (much like shortening a string on a violin. Same tension, shorter string, higher pitch. But the shorter string is really a reduction in the mass that is vibrating and more relevant to the issue of pitch change than the fact that the length is changing, so I am told. It seems to be more appropriate to view the aperture change in the lips as a result of the vibrating mass being reduced.

If you maintain the same mass you can vary the aperture by blowing the air faster. The result will be a louder pitch, BUT the same one. The vibrating mass stays the same, but it vibrates over a greater area. This has been induced by the increased air speed. If the facial muscles act to reduce the vibrating mass, the pitch will change and go higher. If the air pressure is not increased to maintain the same air speed, the volume will reduce.

CR
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-09 15:32, dbacon wrote:
What vibrates the mass? What causes the mass to vibrate?
Dave Bacon

Hi Dave!

I think the fact that air vibrates the mass has never been in contention. Air sets the volume; tension sets the pitch. Of course, as QuadC states, the whole thing is a tightly-coupled system so in reality it's hard to isolate just one facet. If you blow harder and tighten your chops to control the airstream, pitch goes up. Maybe. Or, you open your aperture wider and get louder. This is all getting too Zen for me -- I'm a simple country boy engineer trying to play trumpet now and then

Personally, I don't think about any of this stuff while playing, or at least I try not too. I don't think Charly does either -- I seem to recall him making a statement to that effect some time ago. I think about lots of air, and the sound I want (pitch, tone, and all) -- when I don't let all the physical stuff cloud my little pea brain I'm better off. Sometimes, anyway!

As an engineer, I have burning curiousity about most all things, and I like to understand how and why things work (or don't). As a musician, I have to fight to suppress the engineer and focus on the music. A real Jekyl and Hyde thing, and the final chapter ain't writ yet!

Take care - Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-03-10 00:58 ]
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have definitely spent a lot of time debating which came first....The chicken (air speed)...or the egg (lip tension).

I Guess the common ground has been found. Clearly you can have no chickens without eggs. Clearly you can have no eggs without chickens.

Does Increased air speed necesitate greater lip tension? Does increased lip tension necesitate greater air speed?

I will be more than happy to just acknowlege that they are both important, and interrelated. Why continue to worry which came first?

What great theropy this has been!

Thanks Guys!
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

"I don't think Charly does either -- I seem to recall him making a statement to that effect some time ago. "

Your recollection is correct. I do not ever think about what is going on with my lips, facial muscles AND air stream or wind while playing music. The same holds mostly true for practicing as well. The KEY to developing your embouchure is DON'T THINK!!!!!

But that does not, in an way, preclude the appropriateness of seeking to understand the mechanics of what is taking place in the embouchure. And this search does not in any way impact the embouchure negatively. You train chops to play and then you try to figure out what is happening.

I'm with you, I wanna know how it works, beside being able to make it work.

Regards,

Charly
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Gee, a lot of my "cyberbuddies" have gotten in on this technical debate . . . yet I rarely speak on these prolonged debates about achieving mechanical perfection. Now I'll tell you why I don't establish a reputation of a "Technical Tom" . . . and its a sad, sad story indeed.

As one passes 40 years of age something terrible happens to your eyes . . . and, DARN IT, I cain't see well enough anymore to even SEE those hairs, much less SPLIT 'em! Gosh, at my age the hairs most of us have remaining are either turning grey . . . or turning loose!

Yes, it is important to understand the mechanics . . . and equally important to practice to where you don't have to think about the mechanical anymore when playing so one can create music vs. playing boring notes.

Sincerely,

Tom (gettin' blinder every day) Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-03-10 09:47 ]
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to developing the embouchure is don't think. Ok, I can agree with that just exercise the muscles but..... you have to establish the embouchure set up before you can develop it. Embouchures are like opinions, everyone has one no matter how much they are alike of different. Breathing is a naturally occuring function, God saw to that, can't improve much on what God created. Man has already proved that.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

"you have to establish the embouchure set up before you can develop it."

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but if you mean that you have to do something specific with your lips BEFORE starting a note than the answer is yes. You must,

1. put the mouthpiece in contact with the lips
2. put tension on the lips for the note to be played. (The correct way to achieve this tension is to imagine that you are spitting a thread off your lips. Sometimes this is referred to as the spit buzz. This is also the reason that lip buzzing routines may be helpful in getting that basic "feel" of what your lips should be doing to produce a sound.)
3. position the jaw properly. This should happen more or less intuitively.
4. angle the instrument properly. I like the feel of even distribution of pressure on both lips with a straight out horn.
5. blow the air.

These things require purposeful action on your part and may be discussed individually. (For example, the whole wet/dry issue relates to #1, putting the mouthpiece on the lips.) But once these 5 movements are completed, you are very near the end of thinking when it comes to sound production. It is from this point that you train this "set up" to produce a tone in all registers, at all dynamic levels and with all articulations.

That's really all there is to it!

Regards,

Charly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: