• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Masters and PhD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
troyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one year from now I have to make some very important choices in my career as a musician/teacher. Stay in the Army band program, switch to Navy, go back to school for my masters and PhD. Maybe some of you have some insight that would help me. If I deceide to go back to school, how do I afford it, school and family life. Is it possible to live on assistantships and fellowships? How do I go about finding finacial aid? And of course the biggest question...what school would be best for me? I hope someone can shed some light. Thanks!!!!
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you at? If there are any schools nearby, stay in the Army and let THEM pay for school.

Rich
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would that work? I know that I recently saw a trombone soloist perform with one of the military bands and the announcer said that she had just obtained a masters in music from a local school while still a member of one of the D.C. bands. Is there really enough free time in the schedule of a military musician to permit this? Would this be possible in a field band?

Thanks,
Rich
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on the rehearsal schedule and the commitments you might have as a bandsman/woman in the military.

I personally severed in the Marine Corps, but not in the bands or Bugle Corps. Anyhow, I know the military will pay upto like 90% of the schooling. If I were a little more mature when I served ... I would have stayed in longer ... just to let them pay for school.

As far as time, it is probably upto the band and the local school schedules ... sounds like the guy above was luckily enough to work them all in ... or his command supported the chance for him to got school ... maybe TAD (Temp. Additional Duties) ... while he was in school ...
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as time goes, if you're in one of the D.C. bands, there's plenty (well maybe not plenty) of time to pursue graduate degrees. Heck, in my first year of DMA studies I played in ensembles with two members of the Marine Band. I don't know about the field band's schedule, but I would imagine at least part-time status is achievable.

Rich
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend in the Marine Band and next fall he'll be starting a DMA. There are times that he's really busy with his gig, but there's also a ton of down time. He's going to Catholic University in DC, and it's considered really good for commuter students.

To the origional question....there are some schools that have really great deals. Also, if they really want you they can be pretty accomodating. When I was in school there was a guy with a wife and kid. He had assistance from the school, his wife worked and he did gigs outside of school......but he made it happen. Keep in mind, "most" masters and DMA students are competent enough to do some freelance work outside school and make some money. It also depends on what the local scene is like which might affect where you choose to look.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who did his DMA at Catholic in DC, and I think that he served in the Navy Band at the same time. His name is Tom Gibson, and you can contact him thru his website at:

http://www.trombonelessons.com

Good Luck,

Paul Poovey
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military paid for most of my doctoral program while I was on active duty. Policies differ with the services and with the times. If it's good for the military, the money flows. If they couldn't care less and are manned the way they want to, policies will change to reflect that. At any rate, I've certainly got no complaints.
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You might also ask yourself what type of degree is most appropriate for your field. The amount of reading and writing (and hence, the study time commitment) for a research degree, such as a PhD, will differ significantly from that of a performance degree, such as a DMA, where a greater amount of time would be spent developing interpretive skills and applying common performance practices on your instrument. Your PhD will be loaded with statistical and research tools as well, which may or may not suit your needs or tastes. An EdD is an education degree with a lesser research component, more oriented to immediate application in the field, rather than the creation and validation of theoretical issues found in most PhD programs.

Lots of schools have teaching assistantships and later, instructorships, as well as research grant opportunities available to fund your graduate education. Some schools will hire PhD pre-candidates with special skills for fixed term contracts, allowing them to buy academic hours for a nominal fee available to faculty members (sometimes as low as $1 per credit hour). Although money was incredibly tight, I did my degrees full time with a TA and I-ship, with a daughter and a wife teaching pre-school. It can be done with the help of a loving and supportive (albeit destitute) family. I'd recommend that you get get a good taste of grad school in that master's degree program before you decide if you can stand to undertake the sizeable scholarly commitment of a PhD.

Best wishes for your success!

Dave
londonhusker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: