• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blue Juice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

NO valve oil will be perfect for all players. As someone mentioned earlier, different people's chemistry will adversely affect some valve oils.

Blue Juice is included with horns from both Cliff Blackburn and Flip Oakes because Blue Juice has special detergents in it that will help remove buffing compounds, and microscopic metal particles as the brand new valves break in, from the valve/valve block assembly area!

Flip says that once his valves are properly broken in that the player can then switch to their favorite valve oil.

Blue Juice is NOT my favorite brand, but I agree with Flip about using it to properly break in new horns!

Flip and Cliff know what they are talking about. Breaking in a new horn's valves is as important to the way the valves will always work as properly breaking in a new target rifle's barrel is to a benchrest rifle competitor. Those guys will fire one round, then clean and allow the barrel to cool for about thirty minutes before firing another round. They'll spend a full day slowly breaking that barrel in . . . and the accuracy of the rifle becomes much, much better.

Valves are the same way! If one breaks 'em in with a very lazy cleaning regimen, the horn will never have the valve action and valve life that the horn COULD have had! The key is removing those contaminants . . . and Blue Juice excels in this area!

Tom Turner
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Tom Turner makes a great deal of sense. My bottle of Blue Juice works great in my C trumpet, which is a brand new Bach (Okay 1 year old, but using Blue Juice since I bought it).

My Bb Bach does not like the Blue Juice at all. It could be that I didn't clean the valves well enough before I tried it. The Bb horn works great with Al Cass.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that a horn is either an Al Cass or a Blue Juice horn. When I had trouble with valves oiled with Al Cass, I switched to Blue Juice, and everythings been okay since...

jbqd
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a 35 yr Al Cass user until I got my Jazz. It seems Cass wouldn't work with the close tolerances. Got turned on to Blue Juice and it worked quite well, but I experienced the aforementioned green gunk on the valves ports. I am a one a week horn cleaner, so it's kinda strange to see that stuff. I got a sample of Fat Cat (merely ok) and the slide grease. Fat Cat says that their products are pure, and that the grease won't break down when contacted by valve oil. I was previously using Schilke grease. Since switching to Fat Cat grease, I have had no trouble (or green gunk) with Blue Juice.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Nates statement. The Blue Juice is OK(and just OK!) on valves found in a Callet Jazz but doesn't hold up that long(not even through an entire performance). I switched to Fat Cat(a "natural" oil as the manufacturer recommends) and have found a significant improvement.
I made a post/thread on this subject recently.

Blue Juice is a good synthetic brand..but dosen't work on all valves...and what a shame..I still have most of a whole bottle left.
cwerickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Blue Juice is included with horns from both Cliff Blackburn and Flip Oakes because Blue Juice has special detergents in it that will help remove buffing compounds, and microscopic metal particles as the brand new valves break in, from the valve/valve block assembly area!

Just to clarify, Cliff Blackburn decided to send Blue Juice with new Blackburn Trumpets because it worked well with close tolerance valves, and seemed to last a good while. The fact that it has a detergent element, while never a negative, didn't enter into the decision. How do I know? I asked him this morning..

We don't tend to have a lot of trouble with buffing compound in the valve casings..

Thanks --

Tina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: