• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trolls - Thoughts and Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:
Oh, come on, man. Well, maybe it is just me, but when I read on an online forum about dangerous chemicals being applied to my horn from someone I don't know personally....I have a tendency NOT to be a complete moron.

And, no I don't think it is wrong to say in loud words: IGNORE THIS. But beyond that, like using it as justification for digging into someone's personal life, sorry, just can't go there.

And anyone who is going to mix up a batch of chemicals and start dipping their horns in it...well as Forest Gump said..stupid is as stupid does.

Well, luckily you're a smart enough fellow to not do it! But trust me, there are plenty that will put two and two together and find out the common theme among the formulas is ammonia, and try using only it on their horn. And even though I'd hardly ever characterize ammonia as a dangerous chemical, it is as far as what it can do to brass tubing.

I kind of agree with you about the private life business, except I think once a few personal bits are out there, usually the "anonymous poster hiding behind a fake name talking bad about everyone else," cleans his act up. Unfortunately with John W. Baumchen of Lennon, MI, it has no effect!

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:

Now if only the blasted thing worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I kind of agree with you about the private life business, except I think once a few personal bits are out there, usually the "anonymous poster hiding behind a fake name talking bad about everyone else," cleans his act up. Unfortunately with (deleted because I find it abominable that anyone would post someone's personal information without their permission) , it has no effect! "

Really. So where does that stop. Let's see...if someone gives bad advice on a public online forum it is okay to:
1. Publish his name and address
2. Dig into his personal records to see if there is something there I can embarrass the person with.
3. publish his home telephone number? why not.
4. maybe park in front of his house? see where his kids go to school? find out the name of his employer, maybe the name of his boss.

This guy told you he is a german Jew, is that correct. No reason that I can see he would take offense in any of that, I'm sure.

What is wrong with you people? I find this MUCH more offensive than anything the Captain has said. If it was my forum, publishing any personal information about someone without their consent would mean a lifetime ban..

But its not my forum, so I just ignore it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavesTrumpet wrote:
slide911 wrote:

My suggestion: take a deep breath, don't get caught up emotionally in an online thread, ignore the poster and have a pleasant day.

Ignoring doesn't help. People actually listen to this fellow and take what he says in good faith.

I find that hard to believe, but what do I know?

Actually, know if there are such people would be far more useful to know than any opinion on banning or whatever. For me, I basically don't read his posts and discount almost everything he says.

It's possible there are people who don't, but I'd think the posting "style" might alert some people to it's nature and level of accuracy.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:
"I kind of agree with you about the private life business, except I think once a few personal bits are out there, usually the "anonymous poster hiding behind a fake name talking bad about everyone else," cleans his act up. Unfortunately with (deleted because I find it abominable that anyone would post someone's personal information without their permission) , it has no effect! "

Really. So where does that stop. Let's see...if someone gives bad advice on a public online forum it is okay to:
1. Publish his name and address
2. Dig into his personal records to see if there is something there I can embarrass the person with.
3. publish his home telephone number? why not.
4. maybe park in front of his house? see where his kids go to school? find out the name of his employer, maybe the name of his boss.

This guy told you he is a german Jew, is that correct. No reason that I can see he would take offense in any of that, I'm sure.

What is wrong with you people? I find this MUCH more offensive than anything the Captain has said. If it was my forum, publishing any personal information about someone without their consent would mean a lifetime ban..

I've never posted anything "personal" than what John himself has posted on both his MySpace and Facebook PUBLIC profiles. So why do you have such a problem with it while obviously he does not????

Oh, and by the way, he's Catholic. (Again public info on his very public profile on very public, facebook.)

slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his post he said he is a practicing Catholic and a German Jew. I can post the link if you want, but since his post was directed at you, I assumed you read it.

Did you really say it is okay to post what he puts on his Facebook page? Did he post that info here himself, and what the hell makes it right for YOU to go to his facebook and myspace page and post the information there - here. Was his pilot license info there as well (yes, I know you didn't personally put that up, but someone did).

You guys are creeping me out.

Jeez...

Can I hit the Ignore button on you now Dave?
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
DavesTrumpet wrote:
slide911 wrote:

My suggestion: take a deep breath, don't get caught up emotionally in an online thread, ignore the poster and have a pleasant day.

Ignoring doesn't help. People actually listen to this fellow and take what he says in good faith.

I find that hard to believe, but what do I know?

Apparently you're doing a good job ignoring, but people do share info with him on this list and take what he says as well. It's kind of sad seeing people give him well-intended advise, only to see later down the road that John never does anything with it, almost like he's taking well-intentioned people for a ride.

Crazy Finn wrote:

Actually, know if there are such people would be far more useful to know than any opinion on banning or whatever. For me, I basically don't read his posts and discount almost everything he says.

It's possible there are people who don't, but I'd think the posting "style" might alert some people to it's nature and level of accuracy.

It's only been very recently that I've felt the need to have him banned from the list, ONLY because I kept holding out with the belief that he might clean his act up.

I suppose if you're ignoring everything he writes then you probably don't know how he's recently besmirched Zig Kanstul, Ken Larsen, DQ, and a whole bunch of others all in one single day. Count yourself fortunate you didn't see it. But at the same time, please try to understand why there is a growing group of us who are positively fed up with his nonsense.

slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: facebook and myspace Reply with quote

so I just checked. I don't see his facebook page or his myspace page listed in his profile. I also did a search to see if he even mentioned the pages anywhere or provided a link.

No, nada, nothing.

Maybe he posted it and deleted it. Maybe he posted it in his profile and took it down when it was used against him to provide personal information to a group of strangers.

Or maybe someone is stalking him and posting that information.

Either way, it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:
In his post he said he is a practicing Catholic and a German Jew. I can post the link if you want, but since his post was directed at you, I assumed you read it.

Did you really say it is okay to post what he puts on his Facebook page? Did he post that info here himself, and what the hell makes it right for YOU to go to his facebook and myspace page and post the information there - here. Was his pilot license info there as well (yes, I know you didn't personally put that up, but someone did).

You guys are creeping me out.

Jeez...

Can I hit the Ignore button on you now Dave?

Your tone is creeping me out. I don't know what you're talking about pilots for either. But, sure, his information about Baker College and his study of aviation is there as well. What's wrong with that? If you have a problem with it, tell Capt.Kirk, not me. It's he who posted it.

His profile is public on facebook. Apparently you're not a member there to see it. If you do have facebook, then there shouldn't be a problem. Same for MySpace. Are you that naive to not know these are both very public social sites? That it's the members who post this information about themselves??? John's not trying to hide. Why do you keep trying to hide him? And why your interest in it anyway? If you're so upset about the information he himself has put on the internet, take it up with him, not me.

Sure I saw the German Jew comment, but unlike you, I don't believe every word he writes. He wrote that while ranting on about hate crimes (after, or course, very calmly telling me in PM he didn't have a problem with my cartoon depiction of him).

Yes, by all means, IGNORE me, you'll do us both a favor! Please!

DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: facebook and myspace Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:

Either way, it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Good God, I hope you'll live.

It's out there, OK? Geesh! Go to facebook and type in John Baumchen

You'll find two profiles. One private, the other one, public. You can read all you want to about him to put to rest any issues you have. But again, if you have a problem with what's posted there, take it up with HIM, not me. They're not my profiles.

Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:

In many ways, the forum is yours. As it is, for all those who participate. A forum such as TH exists as an expression of those who contribute and that is why so many have strong feelings about one individual affecting the hard work of so many others.

As it has been said many times, one can chose to simply ignore certain posts. But can we ignore the fact of what is happening to the forum?

And more importantly, can someone such as DQ simply ignore lies that are being posted? If I owned a small business in this economy, would I be forced to read all of the Capt.'s posts (over 4.5 per day) so I could protect my reputation against his persistent untruths?

Don Lee
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read THIS thread you will see were someone went into his pilot license record and posted it here. I am a member of Facebook and the information I post there is private. Facebook is not a public social site unless you put up a fan page or don't know enought to change your permissions.

YOU may not know that Facebook changed their privacy settings and unless you made some changes to your settings, your private information is public.

and the point is, he didn't post it here, you did. You don't like my tone, I have problem with that.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee wrote:
If I owned a small business in this economy, would I be forced to read all of the Capt.'s posts (over 4.5 per day) so I could protect my reputation against his persistent untruths?

Don Lee

Thank you! And that is the very reason I read everything he writes.

DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:
If you read THIS thread you will see were someone went into his pilot license record and posted it here. I am a member of Facebook and the information I post there is private. Facebook is not a public social site unless you put up a fan page or don't know enought to change your permissions.

YOU may not know that Facebook changed their privacy settings and unless you made some changes to your settings, your private information is public.

and the point is, he didn't post it here, you did. You don't like my tone, I have problem with that.

I have too much to do than spend anymore time on TH today (until this evening!), but I appreciate your comments. But totally disagree with you on the social aspect of facebook. The user chooses which information and how much of it he wants public. Facebook IS a social site.

Not everything about John on facebook is public, but a great deal about his schooling is. Again, please take it up with him if you have issues or concerns.

Oh, I saw the part about the flying on another thread- the one about solder or something. (Figures, doesn't it? Thread about solder turns into thread about shipping, turns into thread about flying, turns into thread about policing threads/banning members, turns into a thread about facebook. etc..... Ah, the TH way!)

Since you ignore his posts, you might not have seen (YET AGAIN) that is was John who brought up the point about being a pilot and flying and all that jazz. I think another pilot on the site used his own credentials to see what kind of pilot John was. Is that stalking? Gee, I'd think it was just another pilot seeing if he knew this guy or something. Anyway, I'm out....

slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was telling Don privately,

I am VERY aware of the disruption caused by people like this. I have gotten sucked in to similar discussions more times than I like to admit. I am totally aware of how frustrating this guy is, how annoying, how it drives you crazy that he doesn't listen to reason and is oblivious to any attempt to try and change the behavior. I understand all this perfectly: I've lived it. And I've been embarrassed by my own behavior in these situations when I get sucked in.

But I also know it is just bringing more frustration on yourself. I don't know what makes people like this tick. I just know that they tick on and on until it drives you crazy.

The danger, and it is a danger, is to use that frustration to justify unseemly behavior: "this guy had it coming" kind of thing. And when that happens, almost anything seems fair game.

There are a lot of crazy people out there. Publishing personal information, regardless of how justified it seems, regardless of where you got it from, can just backfire and no matter how big a dope you are dealing with, just shouldn't be on the table. Too much risk of abuse and identity theft. One person publishes something from a Facebook page that hasn't been button down, another goes into the personal records of someone to use against them, and it snowballs from there. I've seen it happen. I've seen it get ugly. It is just not worth it and it brings you down to their level.

so if I sounded a bit testy, now you know why. Sorry if I offended you Dave, but as someone who has been involved with online privacy matters, it is an important subject to me.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slide911,

I cannot resist, so please forgive...

How is that ignoring working for you?

The problem with expecting people to ignore is that it just isn't human nature. Also as pointed out above some people need to jealously guard their reputation and therefore must read and comment.

I understand your points on identity theft having had to deal with it once myself.

But if you are ignoring the posts in question you probably don't realize that there are personal annecdotes and details in the posts that people find annoying.

It is a natural next step to verify some of the details, especially when they conflict with an area where one is expert. Posting that the details are incorrect, and citing the authority that proves this, is also OK. In my opinion.

YMMV
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty,

I totally understand.

But no. I disagree. If an idiot wants to brag on an online forum that he has expertise he doesn't have... It is an online forum. That happens. When i have trouble with my trumpet i take it Josh Landress, i don't rely on any "expert" on an online forum. His claiming expertise he doesn't have gives no one the right to delve into his personal information and publish it publicly for any nut job to read.

In fact this is the very justification i was talking about.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that life were that simple. Have you considered that many on this site are young people who don't have the life experience you and I do?

That they may believe the inaccurate information, indeed may even do damage to their instruments?

There is a very simple solution to the privacy issues you are concerned about. I have personally given my children the same advice.

Assume anything you post online to be public.

In this case if the person we are discussing had not included the long winded off topic story about his flying experience no one would have had reason to find the publicly available information and post censored details.

Would I have done that? Probably not. Do I think it was inappropriate? Not in the form it was posted.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty,

Would that we could protect all young people from making mistakes. But that is exactly how they gain information, experience and wisdom.

And yes you should assume that everything you do is public. For the very reason that one day you might piss off the wrong person who uses that against you. But i also hope you teach your children that publishing private information about someone without their knowledge or permission is never justified.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do teach them that. And I protect my children and the naive on this site from fools. I don't expect them to have to learn from unnecessary mistakes.

In addition I have yet to see any private information posted associated with the pilot's license. You keep making that claim, but since the information was found in publicly accessible places there is no private information being posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: