• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

eBay LA Olds Ambassador

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFHorn13
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: eBay LA Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

Anyone claim this one here???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150496422585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
1952 Martin Committee
1973 Holton ST200
1956 Conn Connstellation 38B
1990's Holton MF ST550
Late 1970's Holton ST304 MF Horn
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty high price and I thought it had probably been relacquered until I took a good look at the case. The horn and the case both look like they never went out of the house which would make that a pretty rare find.
also administrator of Olds Central
www.olds-central.com
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if they still have it, but Capitol Music in Montgomery had a Fullerton NOS in the display case, 700 if I remember. If purchased from them, someone would become the original owner.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

Hello. I looked for a serial#,did not see one. May have over looked it. I noticed the seller had the valves turned where you could not properly see the valve guides. Judging by the second valve,they look like single slot brass valve guides.

Making this Horn a Fullerton made, Olds Ambassador Horn and not a Olds L.A. made Ambassador horn. The best of those Olds L.A. Ambassador Trumpets had the square two point brass valve guides and were in the five serial # listing.

Looks to me like,somebody paid a pretty penny for a Olds Fullerton Ambassador Trumpet. The way that E-Bay seller wrote up his AD. You would think he would be selling off all his Pro-horns and keeping the Olds Ambassador.

I can think of a lot more, better playing Pro-grade used Horns, I could buy for that much money. AHHHHHHH the Olds Ambassador mystique continues.

I have owned five Olds Ambassador Trumpet/Cornets myself. Two five serial# L.A. Olds Ambassador Trumpets,(one was a parts horn)/One 1960's Olds Ambassador FullertonTrumpet. Two 1960's Fullerton Olds Ambassador Cornets.

I also got caught up with that going around idea, of modifying the L.A. Ambassador Trumpet with the lead pipe/brace changes. Like a Bach #25 lead pipe/Etc. I to was hoping to create me a Super Pro-horn with pennys on the dollar.

By the time I was getting around to have my Horn modifying thingie done. I started noticing a lot of these previous, already suped up modified L.A. and Fullerton Olds Ambassador Trumpets. For sale on these sites and E-Bay.

So I sold the whole lot off as parts Horns and bought me two nice playing 1938/1948 King Master Cornets/1976 King Golden Flair Trumpet.

If I had chosen Olds Recording models or Mendez. I am sure I would have liked them just as well. The very best of those,I feel have been bought up a good many years back. At much better prices.

I will still stand by (IMHO). That the Olds Ambassador line was a well made Student, Field Marching Brass Trumpet. That could take a lot of abuse from student - trumpet/cornet players. The L.A. five serial # ones with the double valve guides was the best made of the whole lot.

Hope I have not enrage any of the Olds Loyalist horn lovers. Not my intention at all. Just my personel thoughts and opinion.

If that buyer was expecting to get a Olds L.A. Olds Ambassador Trumpet. He may be sending that Olds Fullerton one back to the seller. Take care all.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

Hello MFHorn13. Click on the bidding list for this Olds horn. Notice the shill bidder with the 1***1(0) buyer pushing the bidding on the winning bidder U***(12).

The winning U***(12) e-Bay rookie is getting himself a good life lesson. I hope he really likes the Olds a lot. He paid enough for it.

When I see these (0) bidders start showing up. I usually never start bidding or stop. The only way to beat out a shill bidder is to know exactly how much you wish to pay. Bid and if you are over the shill bidder,bid your higest bid and wish it well.

Starting to see a lot of this from these Pawn Shop Music sells etc. Take care all.
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single pin valve guides started around sn 100,000. I think I can read the sn on the warranty card as being 131xxx and this also looks like the number on the horn, so it that is correct, it would be an LA horn with single pin valve guides.
www.olds-central.com
MFHorn13
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

study888 wrote:
Hello MFHorn13. Click on the bidding list for this Olds horn. Notice the shill bidder with the 1***1(0) buyer pushing the bidding on the winning bidder U***(12).

The winning U***(12) e-Bay rookie is getting himself a good life lesson. I hope he really likes the Olds a lot. He paid enough for it.

When I see these (0) bidders start showing up. I usually never start bidding or stop. The only way to beat out a shill bidder is to know exactly how much you wish to pay. Bid and if you are over the shill bidder,bid your higest bid and wish it well.

Starting to see a lot of this from these Pawn Shop Music sells etc. Take care all.

Study888: That's interesting, I didn't notice that in the bid history. I was watching this horn for several days, but I had no idea it would sell for this much...and from the sound of it, perhaps it legitmately didn't.
1952 Martin Committee
1973 Holton ST200
1956 Conn Connstellation 38B
1990's Holton MF ST550
Late 1970's Holton ST304 MF Horn
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (0) win guy and (his?) many bids are one story, u***a (12) is another. We can only guess at both. My guess? The winner set a budget and then got what they wanted.

Look at the automatic bids. The winner didn't get strung along day by day, and especially not in the heat of the final minutes. Instead, u***a seems to have come in late with a single bid which proved to be a winner. Note that their earlier (hidden, automatic) tender was $490, as calculated by ebay. That amount is well under the selling price.

If indeed they became caught up in the excitement of a well-written ad or succumbed to the added catalyst of a shill in the crowd, at least they had the sense to bid once and -- win or lose -- let the chips fall where they may. I do wonder why they freed five and a half benjamins, but hey each to his own.
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

study888 wrote:
Notice the shill bidder with the 1***1(0) buyer pushing the bidding on the winning bidder U***(12).
The only way to beat out a shill bidder is to know exactly how much you wish to pay. Bid and if you are over the shill bidder,bid your higest bid and wish it well.

I sell quite a bit on ebay and I've had this same situation occur on my items from time to time It is a seller's dream, but I can assure you that no shill bidding was going on with my items. Shill bidding involves collusion. While it may look suspicious, just because there is a zero feedback bidder driving up the price, that doesn't mean the seller is in on the fix. I've got a feedback rating of over 1700 and I'm sure there are dozens of transactions in that number that have similar bidding pattern and I had nothing to do with it. In fairness to the seller, I think the term "shill" is not appropriate unless you have evidence to back it up.

If you want to avoid bidding on items where a newbie is bidding it up, that is fine, but that doesn't mean the seller isn't honest. Just giving a seller's perspective.

Also, there were 2 other bidders willing to pay at least $465, so with four bidders in the running at that level, seems that the market would suggest that another horn like this would sell for at least $475 if the other bidders are still looking for an ambassador in this condition.
www.olds-central.com
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

Hello Dr-Pepp. You are 100% right. I stand corrected. We should never say something about a E-bay bidder/or Seller, unless we know for sure,our facts are 100% correct. Was up to late last night,was not thinking clearly as I am now.

I still do not get to thrilled, if all of a sudden see, a 0 Bidder pops up and starts bidding like crazy. But We all had to start out as a 0 bidder including Myself.

If I see something I really want. I do a lot of research etc. Look at average prices. Set myself a price, I am willing to pay, and can afford. Bid till I am higest,bid my maxium and forget about it. Till the Fat Lady sings.

Seems to be the safest approach. Good luck all.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

study888 wrote:
Hello Dr-Pepp. You are 100% right. I stand corrected. We should never say something about a E-bay bidder/or Seller, unless we know for sure,our facts are 100% correct. Was up to late last night,was not thinking clearly as I am now.

I still do not get to thrilled, if all of a sudden see, a 0 Bidder pops up and starts bidding like crazy. But We all had to start out as a 0 bidder including Myself.

If I see something I really want. I do a lot of research etc. Look at average prices. Set myself a price, I am willing to pay, and can afford. Bid till I am higest,bid my maxium and forget about it. Till the Fat Lady sings.

Seems to be the safest approach. Good luck all.

Pretty much my approach as well, although I will admit to nibbling at an auction in the first few days just to sort out the fishes from the whales. I do set in my mind what is the maximum I will pay, and don't go past that price.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the trumpet has a 131xxx serial per guarantee card and looks just like my LA, ser.128xxx, which are in the 1953 range. This one's lacquer is better, but mine has better than average, but i don't have the original case.
The comments on the excessive bidding and the florid ad wording are interesting.
I purchased mine at a deceased local trumpeter's estate sale, in combination with my Besson 2-20 for $175 total, given a bit of a break due to my evaluation of 40+ horns available. However the Olds was only tagged at $100 to start with and I feel I got a good deal either way on both horns.

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

study888 wrote:

You may be right. Perhaps Pawn shops are doing this. However I have sold hundreds of items on ebay... many hundreds. I have seen this type of bidding happen repeatedly. I currently have a mp and there are 5 bids and two bidders. One bidder apparently bid his high amount on the first bid.A second bidder with only a few transactions chased the bid by bidding 4 times trying to find how high the first bidder went. It's typical behavior on any item in any auction (ebay or live auction) when an inexperienced auction bidder who wants something badly enough tries to get a bargain and then loses his mind and decides he has to win. It's what auction psychology is all about. I have never seen what I could identify as shill bidding and I've bought and sold well over 1200 items. But maybe that's just me. I only use snipe bids so pay little attention to bidding histories when buying. When selling I watch bid histories even less.

All that being said... the trumpet went way too high. No question about it.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:

Really?

Maybe the parent (possibly a trumpet player himself) bought this for his child rather than pay much more going the rent to own route for a new horn.

Or how about the fact that you very rarely if ever see an Ambassador of this vintage in this condition. I'll bet, if truth be told, that many of us here would have bought it if we had the cash to spare. I sure would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:

Really?

Maybe the parent (possibly a trumpet player himself) bought this for his child rather than pay much more going the rent to own route for a new horn.

Or how about the fact that you very rarely if ever see an Ambassador of this vintage in this condition. I'll bet, if truth be told, that many of us here would have bought it if we had the cash to spare. I sure would.
Many? Maybe and maybe not. But not all. Hey I have a right to be wrong. But that's how I feel. No requirement that anyone agrees.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
dmb wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:

Really?

Many? Maybe and maybe not. But not all. Hey I have a right to be wrong. But that's how I feel. No requirement that anyone agrees.

I wouldn't have bought it, even if I was rich ( not happening) I would have put that kind of money to try and get a good Selmer Kmod, which I played for 10 yrs, many years ago. Everybody has their dreams in some direction or the other.

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fairly amusing how stressed people get and how many responses are generated, all because somebody else bought an instrument for some particular price. You didn't buy it, you didn't sell it. I.e., it has nothing to do with you. If somebody paid too much, oh well. Just hope this guy doesn't wind up bidding for something you want, or odds are he'll bid it up a lot more than the 5 cents on the dollar you want to pay.
forrest
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

I'm with most here - I don't care what it sold for because I'm not in the market for one. When I read this from dr-pepp:

dr-pepp wrote:

Also, there were 2 other bidders willing to pay at least $465, so with four bidders in the running at that level, seems that the market would suggest that another horn like this would sell for at least $475 if the other bidders are still looking for an ambassador in this condition.

I thought that was a prime chance for someone to post an Ambassador at that price. Sure enough, someone did today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-1973-F-E-Olds-Ambassador-Trumpet-NICE-/290480361503?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item43a1fa901f

Even at that price it's better than the "steal this deal of a trumpet from a bankrupt manufacturer." AND IT HAS A SERIAL NUMBER.

I love those eBay ads selling junk.

At least noise comes out of an Ambassador.

More power to 'em.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay L A Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
I'm with most here - I don't care what it sold for because I'm not in the market for one. When I read this from dr-pepp:

dr-pepp wrote:

I thought that was a prime chance for someone to post an Ambassador at that price. Sure enough, someone did today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-1973-F-E-Olds-Ambassador-Trumpet-NICE-/290480361503?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item43a1fa901f

Even at that price it's better than the "steal this deal of a trumpet from a bankrupt manufacturer." AND IT HAS A SERIAL NUMBER.

I love those eBay ads selling junk.

At least noise comes out of an Ambassador.

More power to 'em.

Lots of folks, myself included, haven't sold anything for the past few months because nothing is pulling market value. Folks just don't have the disposable income.

If I were a parent looking for a beginner trumpet for my kid, I would leap over everything else in the new student market these days for either of these two Ambassadors. It is encouraging to see something going for fair market value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: