• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why have I lost tone/range?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTopTrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Why have I lost tone/range? Reply with quote

Hey guys! My playing has been going down quick lately and I need some help.
I'm a sophomore in high school and I've been playing for about 10 years now. I've been lead trumpet in every band I've been in, and have been in honors bands, etc.
Within the past month I'd say my range has been getting worse, and within the past week I can't even hit a g above the staff. Here's what I've been doing:

-I've been trying to get into various groups lately so I've been practicing 3-4 hours daily
- most of these auditions are for jazz so I've been playing in the upper register
- I have a cut/ scar like thing where my mouthpiece goes on my lip

What do you guys think? Have I been playing too much? Do I need to rest? Is it something else? Let me know please, I need to be back to where I was for these auditions asap
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I notice my trouble with that it's usually something simple - tight shoulders, pressing on the lips too hard. Those are gradual with me and I only notice them when they go too far. What do I do? It helps me to spend some time slurring scales and Clarke # 2 at mf level. Finger the scale or study while just blowing air first, then play it with the same kind of feeling.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JKhg3z8W7k

Practice softly, back off pressure on the chops, more air support. And as my mentor Leon Merian (RIP ) always said: "lean into the the piece." Don't pull the horn into your chops.
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've been playing long past the point of exhaustion, day after day. Grinding away on tired chops is just about the worst thing you can do. Yes, you need rest, but more than that you will need a good teacher to help you get back on track.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

You're "practicing 3-4 hours daily", "playing in the upper register", "have a cut/scar on [your] lip", and you need to be ready for "auditions asap".

I agree with jscahoy. You're playing a lot, your're playing high, your lips are physically scarred, and your sound in in the tank. You've abused your chops. If you continue playing like this, you could permanently hurt your chops. You need to take time to heal. And you need to change the way your're playing.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare your face now with a picture from a year ago. Your lips might be getting thinner, which ususally means it's time to downsize.

But I think overwork as well.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like overwork to me, too.

Tom may well be onto something with the downsizing comment - if you want and/or need to practice that much and need to be playing significant amounts of high register stuff then you really don't want to be working harder than you have to.
Playing more efficient gear (narrower maybe, shallower maybe, tighter maybe) can help, learning *how* to play more efficient gear can help regardless but whatever you do you need to be practicing smart - just pumping hours and hours in assuming it's doing good is going about it entirely the wrong way (not saying this is definitely you, but it might be).
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most certainly an over use injury. I used to go through this when I was in college. I would be pounding all year and at the end of the year, couldn't play a note.
Can you imagine going to the gym and working out the same muscle group every day? Eventually you would break down. This is what is happening to your face.

My suggestion is to take a few days off...guilt free! Take advantage of the time to listen to music, transcribe solos, do some arranging etc. Just don't touch your horn.

After a few days start with some soft leadpipe buzzing exercises, soft long tone exercises, slurs etc. Bring the chops together and consciously feel the wind passing your lips. Take it from me...think like a 50 year old, not like a young guy who can use physical strength to get through. Practice softly, slowly, and wisely and everything will come back.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't practicing too much; you're practicing incorrectly.

The only viable solution is to find a competent teacher and follow their advice closely.
TheTopTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank to all that replied. I've been taking it really easy these past few days, playing at a minimum. I'm starting to see slow progress back to where I was.

I think a big issue was that I just wasn't listening to my body. And most importantly I haven't been properly warming up like I should.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTopTrumpet wrote:
Thank to all that replied. I've been taking it really easy these past few days, playing at a minimum. I'm starting to see slow progress back to where I was.

I think a big issue was that I just wasn't listening to my body. And most importantly I haven't been properly warming up like I should.

Thanks for the update. I hope things continue to go well.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTopTrumpet wrote:

And what you have said here makes it clear you are not going to follow what has in essence been: STOP PLAYING for a while. At this rate, you will get yourself, even if partly recovered, into a place where you cause permanent damage. Sound harsh? Take it as more of fat and truth than judgement.

So, if you are serious about developing your playing, you need to forget about auditions and stuff and focus o your playing. There is NO ASAP. There is no importance to do with your ensemble seat, etc. etc. It is all about you playing.

Go get a good teacher. If this means a new teacher, then you do that. Clearly, what has gone on did not work, so if there is a teacher involved, find a new one. You are going to need some time, think months, to get back into a good playing place, where you are set up well ad have habitualised positive playing and practice processes. You cannot hurry this process.

cheers

Andy
TheTopTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it. I do agree with you that I need to take time off of the horn. It's just going to be hard because of all of the school activities I'm in, like our marching band which plays everyday. Because of that I haven't been able to meet with my teacher within the past few weeks.

Maybe I'm just struggling with this because I don't have the maturity to listen to others more experienced than me

I'm taking the day away from the horn and going to the gym instead.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to sound draconian or like I am admonishing you but you are not on a good path.

Through eagerness you have avoided your teacher and injured yourself and the body needs rest but you are not resting you are only taking one day off and that will achieve diddly.

Your lip needs 1 week to begin repairing or you risk major issues down the line.

If your lip does not heal and you continue to abuse it you will tear it up and may suffer massive complications.

Runners protect their feet, weightlifters protect their back, trumpeters must protect their lips.

You have torn your lip, dont make it worse, take enough rest to recover and repair. And consult your teacher and maybe a doctor too.

If you dont recover but you win a place in a band you will have to play regardless of your injury you are now carrying that will force you to seriously damage your lip and maybe lose 3 to 6 months. And you will then lose that place you won.

Take a week off see your teacher and a doctor.
TheTopTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman,
Thank you for the reply. I agree that I need time off the horn.

I would love to see my teacher but with schooll, homework and marching band practice, I have no free time to set up a lesson. I will consult my teacher though and ask what I should do.

What do you suggest I do if I am unable to get away from the horn? What do you do when you're in this situation? Thank you!
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been in that position.

I play for between 3 and 5 hours a day 7 days a week and have done for over a year, and apart from fatigue that sometimes hits, I have never suffered an injury as you have.

I play with low pressure and very likely have a completely different style to you.

When I suffer I can stop and allow myself to recover, then resume playing. That may not be possible for you.

When you speak to your teacher be as frank about your playing as you can he needs to know how you practice and for how long if he is to help build a better method for you.

Perhaps I can suggest listen to what your body tells you, when it says it is tired listen to it and rest. Work with your body not against it.

To the question, what can you do if you cannot get away from the horn, I would say, Are you so totally certain you cannot get away from your horn. That might be a copout.

It might seem that you cannot stop playing and you must keep blowing that horn. But that indicates poor thinking. Would your audience prefer someone who plays himself into the ground and sounds terrible, or someone who rests properly remains healthy and sounds great.

Maybe it is time to put the horn down for a while no matter how painful that is so that you can become once more the player you are capable of being.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTopTrumpet wrote:
Bflatman,
Thank you for the reply. I agree that I need time off the horn.

I would love to see my teacher but with schooll, homework and marching band practice, I have no free time to set up a lesson. I will consult my teacher though and ask what I should do.

What do you suggest I do if I am unable to get away from the horn? What do you do when you're in this situation? Thank you!

Take one of the 3-4 hours you practice and have a lesson instead.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much of a good thing, kid. we all have the same problem. it is overwork all the way.
TheTopTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
too much of a good thing, kid. we all have the same problem. it is overwork all the way.

Thanks for the reply! It's hard to balance playing too much and playing too little. I know better now!
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: