• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody ever hear of a Getzen Bob Ceccarini Custom Version?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajmix2 wrote:
...sadly, I'm a poor musician and have no money.

But hey, you know what they're saying:

Wanna get wealthy being a poor musician? Start conducting!
If you're really bad, just ask for more money and become friends with some politicians (or their spouses).
At least they will believe you're great and will keep pushing you forward.

(If only this were a joke...)

MvW.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: re: Bob the teacher Reply with quote

I took a lesson from Bob when I was on the road and in his neck of the woods way back circa 1977.

I am not sure but I think he started me on Claude Gordon exercises and recommended that I take lessons from Claude when I got back to California (which I did.)

I always wondered if Bob was still around and what he was doing.
dpdan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark936 wrote:

I always wondered if Bob was still around and what he was doing.

Bob is playing his tail off. He is amazing!
He is playing this week at the Sheldon Concert Hall.
Dan

Last edited by dpdan on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Bob was wanting good reviews of his horn, there are like 4 or 5 right here!? I forget how many different leadpipes were made for the Eterna II, but I had a 700SP (Eterna II) and while people knocked it, man that thing played well! Eventually sold it to a TH'er who bought it for his beginner son so the son would stop playing Dad's horn, and Dad kept playing my Getzen!

My point being that I think the leadpipe has a lot to do with how well it plays. This sounds like the perfect time and place for a shameless request for details on the Eterna II leadpipes, as well as that of the specially modified leadpipe of the late great Leon Merian, lead player extraordinaire, who played (IIRC) a not terribly high-end Getzen, but certainly put it to good use. Who ever really played up to Leon, volume wise? I knew Bob Livingood way back, (late 70's) who was an absolute monster in the studio. For Liza Minelli he played 2nd while Leon played first, and for all Bob's power he never really held his own sitting next to Leon ...
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads like this make TH such a great site.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I have to say I'm really impressed Mr. Getzen's willingness to bird-dog the details on this. It's the sort of thing we'd like to see from all musical instrument companies, but know we never will.

+1!

Brad361
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
as well as that of the specially modified leadpipe of the late great Leon Merian, lead player extraordinaire, who played (IIRC) a not terribly high-end Getzen, but certainly put it to good use. Who ever really played up to Leon, volume wise? ...... Bob's power he never really held his own sitting next to Leon ...

Leon's friend, the late great Johnny Howell for one. He also spoke of Al Porceno, Charley Shavers, Ernie Royal and Bernie Glow. It wasn't just volume with these guys. There was an electric intensity to their sounds.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! You're not going to get this kind of ... whatever you wanna call it, without that intensity you speak of! And a horn that responds to how you play is one key. Getzen horns respond quite well
lindsayt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving a dead thread as my first post, which is appropriate since that's what's happening to my trumpet playing too.

I got one of these in fall 1990 at St. Ann Music in Ballwin, MO as my first "serious" trumpet. It continued to be my primary trumpet through high school, a couple stints at Interlochen, and on through college on my way to a music degree.

My jazz band conductors always loved the horn for its fabulous jazz sound and in 1994 John Faddis, who performed with us at Interlochen, commented positively on its sound. My wind ensemble conductors liked it okay, but obviously it was a horrible orchestra horn; as orchestra began to dominate my playing, I played this less and less.

Since I didn't become a professional, after college I pretty much always play on my C trumpet, and in the last ten years I hadn't really touched this one until this week when my daughter started band on the trumpet, and I realized that I shouldn't be playing next to her on a C trumpet when she's on a Bb, so I got out this horn.

Anyway, it needs a little work (its main spit valve is sticking and in trying to fix it I think I damaged the circlip) but I think I'll get it fixed up so I can use it to play with my daughter until she's ready for a nice trumpet, and maybe I'll let her use it then. Its valves are also a bit more scuffed up than I'd expect - by contrast the valves on my Bach C trumpet and Yamaha flugel both look virtually new, while these look a bit rough - but they seem to operate fine and the horn still sounds nice.

I'd be curious to know how many of these were made, sounds like it's more rare than I thought. That said, I've never seen another one; though almost everybody I knew in high school and in college played Bach Strads.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was studying with Bob Ceccarini when he received this horn If I remember right. Im not sure he played it for long. But I vaguely remember talking to him about it. He had developed a relationship with Getzen thru connections. Bob is a family friend. He is an awesome person always on the cutting edge of trumpet playing and teaching. He still plays in St. Louis and teaches I believe. He is probably 70 now. When i have gone back to St. Louis I have seen him. He and my oldest brother are buddies. He had a hand in many trumpet players formative years especially in St.Louis. Just a consummate professional, and great trumpet player. One of those guys who could do it all. Lead, Legit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: