• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Distance Learning Music Schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking on line at different types of Schools & ran across a few distance learning programs in Music.. I use to work for a Department at UGA that did distance learning so this kind of intrigues me. The one that is most interesting is Eastern College of Music in Greensboro, NC (http://easterncollege.us/)

Here is a list of Distance Learning Music Programs:
http://www.gradschools.com/listings/distance/music_distance.html

I also found some Distance Learning Programs at Traditional College & Universities
http://www.usq.edu.au/faculty/arts/music/Distance.htm

http://www.uni.edu/mishra/icn.html

http://php.auburn.edu/outreach/dl/ctmu/index.php

Has anyone tried doing a Music Degree through Distance Learning?

Has anyone ever heard anything about Eastern College of Music in Greensboro, NC?

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/

Accredidation of higher learning institutions can be a difficult area to understand. The above link will allow you to link to other regional accredidation authorities (Middle-States, for example) and continue your research.

I'm not in higher education, but I frequently need to research accredidation for an employer's tuition reimbursement program. Generally, I use the Higher Learning Commission as the "gold standard" for deciding whether an educational institution is accredited. Distance learning is a growing phenomenon with a great range of quality - from complete scams to programs in respected institutions. However, even in a status university, distance learning has it's advocates and detractors - both with solid arguments. My opinion is that distance programs work best as a feature or option in a more traditional program. Why?

You can get the best of both - face to face and group interaction in many/most courses and distance/computer-based courses that are well suited to that medium. Your degree is from a recognized school and solidly based on the traditional format - even if 50% of your courses were taken on-line.

If a degree is an "entrance" ticket to a profession, most gatekeepers to that profession come from traditional education and probably prefer a mixed or hybred approach to a mostly distance-based education. Even if the degree is formally recognized, the gatekeepers may not trust it, because it doesn't smell like their degree.

Of course, if a person is in a system or setting that recognizes and rewards a pure distance degree for promotion, pay increases, qualifiation for another position - go for it.

Bottom line, research the educational institution, the institution providing the accredidation (they can be bogus or poorly recognized themselves, and talk to lots of people on how they would perceive your degree when you completed it. For example, if you wanted to teach music, go to several school districts and ask administrators how it might work out if you were applying for a teaching job and 10 other candidates had schools from traditional schools.

Convenience can prove costly if you haven't done your homework.
fitzpatrick83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I have never heard of either of those places, which is evidence that distance learning for music is a complete and utter failure.

Mr. FitzPatrick

[ This Message was edited by: fitzpatrick83 on 2003-06-19 22:48 ]
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROLL-O-METER SAYS:

|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

Matthew 25:31-46
fitzpatrick83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey steve,
Nice job as usual with the troll-o-meter. I think I see your strategy when implementing it now. Whenever you have no response or cannot think of anything witty enough to take me, you throw out the big "TROLL-O-METER." Good job though - it really is original and fools me every time you put it up as a response to one of my statements. The only problem with the "METER O'TROLLS" is in reading it. See, it is a bit confusing to read this thing and I was merely asking for a little clarification on how to read it and on what exactly you think a troll is. To me, it is a mythical creature that lives under a bridge and scares innocent pedestrians. Obviously that is not your concept of "troll" because if it is, you are gravely mistaken, my dear friend.

With Love,
Mr. FitzPatrick

[ This Message was edited by: fitzpatrick83 on 2003-06-25 08:51 ]
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what is a "concert of troll"? Does it involve Peer Gynt?

Dave
londonhusker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: