• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Method Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently at an Honors Wind Camp at NSU in Louisiana and our jazz band instructor told us about some books that we should check out. If I remember right, he said there are about 14 of them, and they come with a CD. If anyone has any clue what they are and and where I could buy them, I'd appreciate it. Also, feel free to recommend other books as well, but I really need a high quality back up band type CD seeing as I don't have the opportunity to play in a jazz band at school. Thanks, Will.
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jamey Aebersold play alongs are awesome. They are not the be all and end all but they are excellent for learning the left brain stuff in jazz. But thats more for soloing, But there is a ton of great writing don by Mr. Aebersold on practicing and what to think of, how to aproach the subject. But as for a "how to play jazz" book on articulation and such, never used one... Always had the benifit of meeting great directors who would tell me if I did something wrong They are out there though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterns for Jazz for Treble Clef Instruments by Jerry Coker has helped me out a lot!
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Aebersolds, they build such a good foundation, by giving you practice with heads and changes and when you are improving in a real situation it will be a piece of cake
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Baker's Jazz Improvisation has become an extremely useful resource for me. I've also read his Techniques of Improvisation (in 3 volumes), thumbed through How to Play Bebop (also in 3 volumes) and glanced over Modern Concepts in Jazz Improvisation.

Most of the subject material is still advanced for me, but one thing I did notice, and really appreciate about Jazz Improvisation is that it references materials by Aebersold, Coker, Ricker and others in such a way as to help create a sense of coherency. He tells what Aebersold playalongs to use and when, and which other jazz methods to refer to for more rigorous explanations of certain concepts.

Naturally, he also refers to his own methods and the Aebersolds he basically wrote in collaboration with Jamey Aebersold. Jazz Improvisation seems most useful if you also have Techniques of Improvisation, Coker's pattern books and the Baker's favorite Aebersold playalongs.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2003-08-06 03:50 ]
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase Sanborn's book, Jazz Tactics, and John McNeil's The Art of Jazz Trumpet are really great resources-

Kurt Z
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: