• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Copper Bells

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Archway"]
shofarguy wrote:
Of the horns I've played with copper bells (trumpets and flugelhorn), the most consistent characteristic has been added ability to respond to delicate nuance. Also apparent is a reduction in carrying power.This is because the higher frequency overtones are less present, compared to yellow brass. The notable exception is the Kanstul 1601 developed by Tim Wendt for his own use.

Tim spec'ed a lightweight copper bell for his horn. The production version has a bell made from .020" copper sheet, as opposed to the normal .024" used on the 1500 and 1525. This restores much of the brilliance and projection the heavier version lacks.

I know of one Hollywood era Calicchio 1S/2 that is "all copper" construction. It sounded wonderful and played just as well as it sounded. I imagine it would be perfect on microphone or in a small venue. More of a solo sound or reserved trumpet voice than commercial bright.

Brian

WHAT! Seriously, I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, on carry power. This is the first I have ever heard anyone make this statement. I play lead on a horn with a copper bell and I assure you, I have no problem with carry power! If anything, I have always heard, that a copper bell will actually carry even more. Just my opinion I guess.

Archie

I agree with Archie big time. Carrying power and bigger sound is the advantage of copper, hence Conn's assertion "you can't crack a note" referring to the coprion bells. Just try a 22b and 12b side by side. On the flip side copper is therefore less flexible, a feature one might or might not desire.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, already. Conn Coprion bells are electro-formed, not hand spun from sheet, so there is really no comparison between what you guys are writing and what I have written. If I have no idea what playing a Coprion bell is like (I don't) and you have (I'm assuming) no idea what playing a hand-spun copper bell is like, then of course one of us might seem to be stupid. The truth is that we are talking about totally different types of instrument construction that give totally different results. That is why I listed the horns I was writing about.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is sooo silly. Clearly the gauge of the brass, the zinc content and the annealing, as well as mpc choice all come into play. I've played the Calicchio Brian speaks of, and it it like a softer version of the 1s/2 most guys around town scream on. I've also owned Conn coprion bells, heavy gauge, and they are monsters; the sound just doesn't break up. I believe this is why it made for a good student horn, witness the 17 Victor series. Kids could blast away and still sound less blatty. That's one of the more underrated Conns ever made.

My family has been in the brass business for decades, and while I couldn't write much of a disertation on the subject, I can say flat out that copper content and gauge go hand in hand.

ed
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with shofarguy...there are to many variables to make clearly defined comparisons between one type of copper bell, and another type.

Copper bells made from sheet material or drawn tubing may have some nickel or zinc content...even a small amount just for the purpose of making the copper more workable..or it could be (pure ?) copper material.

However coprion bells are pure copper..but I am not sure of variations in gauge for an electroformed bell..between production runs spanning decades. In addition..even though coprion bells are electroformed..the rolled rim bead is not electroformed..so they end up on a bell spinning lathe..and indeed are spun.

I enjoy reading the vintage Conn ads regarding the instrument product line going back into the 1920s...or earlier. Many of the assertions made by Conn 60 or 70 years ago were written to fit the culture of that day..including what they say about coprion bells, and other claims about the playing characteristics of the instruments. The information is of little value today..other than just historical interest. The Conn ads are no different than ads for laundry detergent at that time.

I expect to be confronted on my "assertion"...but if you read the old ads..they really don't say anything.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a copper bell must make a trumpet worth a lot of money...look at this lousy Conn Director that's on eBay right now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conn-Coprion-Bell-Trumpet-/290505355422?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item43a377f09e

What are the bidders thinking???
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper Bells, Copper Bells,
It's trumpet time on the herald.
Players boast; read their posts.
Soon it will be Concert Day!

1963 Connstellation
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Having a copper bell must make a trumpet worth a lot of money...look at this lousy Conn Director that's on eBay right now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conn-Coprion-Bell-Trumpet-/290505355422?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item43a377f09e

What are the bidders thinking???

"Used to belong to Jerome Callet"

That?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogersBrass wrote:

I expect to be confronted on my "assertion"...but if you read the old ads..they really don't say anything.

You won't find me challenging you. In fact, the ad could assert one thing and some years later assert just the opposite.

Ads can be useful but their marketing claims usually are not.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conn53victor wrote:
Copper Bells, Copper Bells,
It's trumpet time on the herald.
Players boast; read their posts.
Soon it will be Concert Day!

Nice!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in here.

I have owned three Kanstul 1001 (think Beng 3x+) horns over the last two years. So my comments are based on playing more than one instrument - one in the 'standard' configuration in lacquer, one was ordered from the factory in what was essentially a standard configuration in silver, and the third was completely customized, which is the one I kept (see my signature). This one has a custom configuration with a reversed lead pipe and a copper bell (I believe it was made from the standard sheet material used for the bells on the model 1500).

I ordered the copper bell simply for appearances sake. I had also hoped the copper would provide me with a darker timbre. This, however, simply did not happen. The horn plays somewhat restrictive for a .464 bore and is not my favorite for splitting lead - this, I believe is a direct result of the copper (the copper simply does not respond as fast as brass). The reversed lead pipe somewhat compensates for this, but not entirely. I love this horn for jazz, but it is not dark by any definition. You could pick it out in a blindfold comparison test with the other two 1001's because the copper produces a broader sound - but not darker.

My experience with my 1530 cornet was, however, quite different. It was ordered with a copper bell and a copper lead pipe and it plays quite dark - in fact the timbre sits part way between a trumpet and a flugelhorn. However, the 1530 is probably the darkest of Kanstuls cornet line-up, which is due directly to the shepherds crook design on the bell crook, third valve slide, and in front of the tuning slide.

What I am saying here is there are a number of factors beyond the copper bell which affects the timbre of a horn. As has already been noted, Schilkes B5 and B6 both have copper bells neither are 'dark' playing instruments (I owed and played a B5 for a few years prior to connecting with a Kanstul) by any standard.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Bill Blackwell on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Conn Director on ebay. There are buyers who look for these horns.

I would not buy a trumpet from a seller who referred to the horn as "she"...I place those sellers in the moron category.

The Conn coprion bells are becoming collectible...but the last one of these coprion Directors I picked up..I paid $20.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comments from Andy Taylor on the subject:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=890353&highlight=#890353
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks who have played copper bells report bell performance much similar to my experience. Amateur experience, sensitive ear.

Thanks much for the info about nickle content & color. Remember that the elecroplated coprion will have a different crystilline structure than sheet copper, though annealing and turning on a lathe obviously makes some differences.

The Conn Coprion bell on a trumpet does allow for a ton of air without distorting. Let's assume you play well enough to stay centered on pitch. What ever the quality of your airstream, your tone will probly come through with less rasp. As an aside, I'd like to compare that Director to the sweet Victor that someone got in LA last week on Craigslist. $150! Looked pristine. Wow. It got bought before I remembered to save the url/picture Who's the lucky SOB?!?!

What I can say is this:
a. the Director's coprion bell does have a good bark. It fills the small rooms "evenly" yet doesn't seem to carry as far as the coprion cored /nickle surfaced Connstellation;
b. comparing apples to apples as best I can among my Conns of 0.438 bore, neither coprion-based bell is a 'fast' off notes as the standard yellow brass Connquest. You might say it feels a bit like running on grass in sneakers instead of cleats, if you were to compare fast footwork to triple-tonguing. Doable and no great hindrance to a quality set of chops, comfortable but does not turn as quick. Great on legato phrases.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Used to belong to Jerome Callet"

That?

Tom

Well, maybe, but he doesn't even say it in the ad - you have to cut & paste his link to more pics for that bit of info. I sold a student-level trumpet to Mr. Callet a few years ago and to me, his ownership of that trumpet sure didn't increase its value. It was still a so-so Conn stencil. Now, if he could infuse it with some of his high note expertise, then it might be worth a lot more!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Did any of your other 1001s have the reversed mouthpipe configuration? The difference in the bracing can certainly affect the timbre and resistance. Also, another one off 1001 variation I've tried just didn't play like the normal version. I wonder what all makes your horn as you describe? At least with the copper belled 1025, the copper seemed to give me better response at low volume; noticeably more delicate.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
... Did any of your other 1001s have the reversed mouthpipe configuration? The difference in the bracing can certainly affect the timbre and resistance. ...

Hey Brian:

While I admit I am not a master at this and I certainly dont do it for a living, I do play well enough to come to some concrete conclusions over time.

Neither of the other two 1001s was configured with a reversed lead pipe. I reiterate my copper-belled 1001 does play a bit broader compared to the standard configuration the sound is simply less focused (this may be hitting on your point). I would use the sound differences between the 1537 (broader) and 1537P (more focused) as a good comparison; both have brass bells BTW, so other design factors are at work in this case.

The effects of a reversed lead pipe (at least in my experience) are the horn plays slightly more open with the trade-off being the horn slots differently (not as well, IMO). But I have never noticed any change in timbre. Since my preferred configuration is the reversed lead-pipe and most of the Kanstul line has the standard configuration, I have had the opportunity to experience the differences first hand. My 1001 (listed below) has been compared directly with two other of the same model, which I played side-by-side for months and my 1600 (also listed below) was originally purchased off-the-shelf in the standard configuration in silver. After playing on this horn for awhile I had Kanstul alter the horn with a reversed lead-pipe. Indeed, it now plays somewhat more open and slots differently.

I personally tend to produce a very bright sound anyway (I have been both criticized and complimented about this), so part of the 'issue' is with me.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 'issue' I had initially with my Kanstul 1500 was that articulations were 'thick'. A mouthpiece change cleaned it up (Warburton XD to D). Like others playing a copper bell - I enjloy a broad warm sound. When pushed, it sizzles; but much differently than any other horn I've got.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper Bells Reply with quote

Mr. Benge wrote:
Sorry if this seems like a noob question but what are the most common applications for horns w. copper bells? They obviously make the sound a bit darker right? Are these more suited for smooth jazz and quiet smoky bar playing or do they work well with high powered lead and rock playing as well?
Best used when all other horns are silver, brass or gold. Just looks so damn good!!!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: