• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What was your very first horn, and where you get it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pickmusic.net/my_first_trumpet.htm
don't laugh too hard.

this took 2 1/2 years of BEGGING during which time I was sucking REEDS, "cause girls don't play trumpet".

don't really know the brand, but it had a 10 1/2 CW mouthpiece.
maybe someone can tell by the case what the brand was. Cost my dad $25.
It was so bad that as soon as I started with lessons, my teacher sold us a good used Holton cornet.

I pawned that trumpet for $5 sometime while in school and broke.

The kid in the pic is my brother. His son is now 6 and 'playing' the old Holton.
vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First horn: Pan American Cavalier cornet that my uncle had used all through school and college.
After one or two years Mother got me a new Olds Special cornet. That was '66 or '67. I would sure love to have that horn now! ! !
First trumpet: Bach Mercedes from 1972, which is my current horn. It just made its first trip to California this week for a PVA at Bob Reeves.
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Director:
My Grandfather bought it for me in the Pawn Shop next to the business he owned.

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Brass Monkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was a 1965 Holton Collegiate cornet. Still have it - had it relaquered and "undented". I still love to play it. The repair guy said "You know, this horn isn't worth the cost of restoring it". I told him I'd had it for 35 years, and darn it, I wanted it fixed. Call me sentimental.
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundy from Fox Music in Charleston, SC. What a beast. It fell appart but I kept the valves!
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Brass Monkey ...

You're sentimental! But, I'd do the same if I still had my "first" horn (see the first page of this thread).

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trumpet was a H.N. White King Cleveland, a very nice horn on a three-month rental back in 1960. After that I had to play on some old Sears (I think) piece of junk called a Belltone that my parents got from my great aunt for $5. I practiced every night to show my parents that I deserved a better trumpet, which eventually came along for me- another King Cleveland! I took precious care of that instrument but parted with it when I got my Connstellation in 1967.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited my first horn. It's kinda been in the family, it was first my Great-Uncle's horn. And then, get this...on the day of my great-uncle's funeral, I got a new trumpet...creeepy...

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got just a plain and simple King Trumpet, model 600, I think? It was a good, reliable student horn and enjoyed playing. I wish I still had it, but I decided at one point to paint it blue and it never played the same since....
pitchb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was a Blessing B-125 scholastic. Terrible, terrible horn-- so bad I almost quit several times. Then I got a Bach Omega, and that was a little better.

Matt
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know what my 1st horn was it was a CONN cornet of some sort i had it for 2 days for beginner band (which was done durring summer school for 6 short weeks) i do know that i took the entire horn apart and put it back together the 1st night i had it

the 2nd day of having the horn a local horn sales place from lansing (i was in jackson) came down to do the horn rentals... my mom got me a good condition but used bach TR300... about 6 months later (come christmas time) she turned it in and bought me a brand new TR300, that was back in '92 i belive although i'm not 100% sure (though i do still have the recipt) my SR year in high school they bought me another horn (stomvi) at that point i was learning more and more on the net about horns and had my beginner horn strippped of it's laquer and such... to this day i love how it plays and sounds... especaly for a beginner horn.

still have it.

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rent to own conn 20b..... ah that thing sucked. But it ain't the horn that counts
Vox Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was a “tin can” called the Vox Ampliphonic, a stencil horn made in Germany distributed by the folks who make amps and such. You see these show up on Ebay once in a while. My Dad bought it (and made me pay for it out of my allowance for 2 years!) for $95. That was back in 7th grade and I REALLY wanted to play the French horn, but the cheapest f-horn at our neighborhood music store was $500 and he decided the trumpet was close enough.

Strangely, it had been the only horn I owned and played up until last year (except for an antique Martin cornet and my Bach Strad F/G sopranino that I use for specialty gigs). Never had a teacher or a conductor try to talk me out of using that terrible horn, and I made it work for me through junior high, high school, college, and playing semi-pro all the way up to age 45!

I called my Vox “Socrates” because it taught me early to adjust just about everything about myself to get it to play in tune and to brighten or darken the tone as needed. A friend turned me onto Ebay last year and on a whim I bought a Burbank Benge the same vintage as ol’ Socrates (thinking to get the horn I wished Dad had bought – but wait, what I really wanted a Conn 6D French horn). Now, of course ol’ “Benjie” gives me the same results without all the work of bending notes and fluctuating my mouth cavity, so “Socrates” has gone into a well-deserved retirement. And now I just purchased an Olds Opera cornet (I review it on another TH thread). After practice sessions with the Benge and the Olds, I keep thinking, “Where have you been all my life? I coulda been sitting next to Irving Bush! Well, maybe not…”
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was a loaner from a friend, it was a Getzen from the 50's. It was multi-colored with copper, rose brass and yellow brass. I know 5 other kids who have started on that same horn since I did in 1969. The first horn that I owned was a 1970 Conn Director that I purchased from a friend who had given the trumpet up. I played that horn through High School. My first decent horn was a DEG Signature which was stolen and allowed me to buy a Schilke B5 which I played for 6 years. I now play a custom made Lawler.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
nickyboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First horn: Getzen 300 series student horn
Where: Local music store bout 600$$
why: cuz i thought trpt would be fun (and it is)
2nd Horn:ZueS Geranius Copper 1 pc Bell
where: Dad for christmas
why: My getzen is in shape of a marching horn and i needed a cleaner looking trpt for concert
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priscilla; your parents were very wise. I see they gave you a mute with that "new to you" trumpet!
FreshBrewed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading over some of these horns was interesting. My first horn was a Bundy cornet. That was later upgraded to a Getzen Capri. They were both so beaten up when I received them that I had to have them overhauled. I still have the Bundy. Don't think I will ever get rid of the horn that gave me such a desire to play music for the rest of my life.

Those who roll up their sleeves rarely lose their shirts!

Eclipse MHY Bell- Savannah Finish
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trumpet - B&M Champion

Very, very battered.

My Dad acquired it from his college (where he taught biology) for the grand sum of 3p (about 4.5 cents for those in the US)! It was found in the back of one of the cupboards when they were clearing out an old classroom.

All the valves moved, all the slides moved, what more can you ask for?

I still have it, it still looks in terrible condition, but the valves do still move!

One of these days I am going to have it done up properly. From when I last took it out of it's case I recall the sound was actually very pleasant, very mellow indeed. I wonder if the bell will fit my Yamaha?

As for why I started, somebody came into school, played a trumpet and said that lessons were available - I went home and told my parents that I wanted to start the trumpet!
I now work with that very same trumpeter quite a bit - Roy Falshaw, you have a lot to answer for!!!

Yamaha Bb 6335HS (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Rotary Bb
F Besson C (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Eb 6610S
Scherzer G
F Besson Piccolo
Yamaha Maestro Bb Cornet
Eclipse Copper Flugel
Getzen 4-Valve Flugel
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can remember every horn I have ever owned....

1.) old King cornet

2.) King Silver Flair

3.) Bach Stradivarius 37 Bell

4.) Schilke B5

5.) Benge C trumpet

6.) Another Bach 37 Bell

7.) Bach 229, 25A C trumpet

8.) Schilke S22

9.) Yamaha Mike Vax Model trumpet

10.) 6335HGS yamaha heavywall

11.) Schilke X3

the funny thing is.... I've only played three mouthpieces....Bach 1-1/4C, Denis Wick 1CW, and warburton 2 series.

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2003-09-30 03:05 ]
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only just remember all the instruments I currently use, at a push I can almost name all the ones I currently own, as for the ones that have passed me by during the years - no idea!!
And as for mouthpieces, even those that have been labelled would be hard to recall!
Numerous Bach mouthpieces, a fair number of Denis Wicks, assorted unnamed bits of junk, a Jet Tone or two now settling on Warburton, although still deciding upon gold/silver plate - currently have a matching set of both!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: