• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton F101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Holton F101 Reply with quote

I was able to trade for a Holton F101 fluglehorn that is in practically new condition. There has been a past, brief thread on this model, but it generated very little information or opinions.

The F101 certainly seems to be a good horn, with good intonation and sound. I certainly can't compare it to the classics but it is a very well made horn and meets my limited needs for a good flugle. I am hoping that Jim Stella, who has recently posted about the Holton T101's, can give me us some information on the Holton flugle horn line. Jim?
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Holton F101 Reply with quote

Hello,you have a nice playing Flugelhorn. You can read about it's stats/specs on the www.brassreview.com. Holton was making very good Pro grade horns at that time.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it somehow a close "cousin" to the Holton Galaxy Fleugel?

Robert

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
Is it somehow a close "cousin" to the Holton Galaxy Fleugel?

Robert

I have never owned or played a Holton Galaxy, but am aware that they are considered to be "intermediate" level instruments that many seem to like, and feel are underrated. I would rate the F101 build quality and playability as similar to the Holton T101S that I own. It appears, visually, to be a LeBlanc F357 with a yellow brass bell instead of copper, and lever style water keys instead of Amado keys. Both horns have the same bore, 0.421", a third-valve trigger, and top-sprung monel valves.

I have played, but not owned, a Conn Vintage One flugel, a Selmer, and a couple of different Getzens, and all were good horns. I rate my F101 right in the middle of this group, with the V1 as the favorite.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Holton F101 Reply with quote

Albert Parrott wrote:
I was able to trade for a Holton F101 fluglehorn that is in practically new condition....

Albert, since there is practically no info on this model on the Internet, in fact I found none, could you please provide some more information on this horn?

Where and when was it built? I have some vague information that it was produced in the beginning of 2000-s... (in the USA?).
Who was the actual OEM manufacturer of these horns? I know that the Leblanc facilities were closed as far as I remember sometime in 2004. Is it possible that it was produced in Kenosha before the factory closed?
Anyway, please provide as much info as possible.

This question applies to anyone who has the relevant information because I don't know if Albert still visits this forum regularly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: