• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To Mr. Mohan and All Concerning the aspect:Breathing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Chen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Mohan and all who would reply,

Hi! This is a 16 year-old trumpet player, who has played for six years, from Taiwan.
(I have an urge here to continue with my history as a player and experiences etc., but for sake of conserving time for those helping me, I'll stop on that NOW.)
So, aspiring for the music ideal, if one needs to concentrate on the physical aspects while expressing musically, I don't think the results will be optimum.
I've been trying to learn an efficient physical approach and in doubt in many aspects, I've asked people in the old forum site, which many recommended the Claude Gordon's method. The book "Brass Playing is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" is unreachable considering where I am. I contacted music stores here to help me order it, but they've proven reluctant to help; I guess they can't profit much by doing the favor. I don't know when I'll get the book. End of the year? I don't know. So being stuck at my situation, I came to this forum to help (I'm so glad it's here). My question in this post is, can someone tell me what the teaching for breathing is of Mr. Gordon? What can I do to practice and adapt to the approach while waiting for the book to arrive? Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it a lot.

From,
Richard
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to you!

I will e-mail you a copy of the Breathing Exercises description that I wrote to be included in the Book I'm VERY slowly writing.

These exercises are what Claude assigned to us. They help you to develop the habit of breathing correctly, and they help you to develop the breathing (blowing) muscles of the chest, back and abdomen.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So, aspiring for the music ideal, if one needs to concentrate on the physical aspects while expressing musically, I don't think the results will be optimum.

From,
Richard

I think that you are right on the money on that one but I think that the ideal is to really concentrate on that aspect of playing in practice only, not performance. If you practice something enough, you won't have to worry about it during a performance. You will have done it so much that it will become second nature and it will leave you able to express yourself musically to an even higher degree.

I had to break the habit of puffing my cheeks when I was a Junior in HS and although it did take several weeks to do, eventually I quit thinking about it.

I also need to start thinking about proper breathing again so I will be very interested to see where this thread goes.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: