• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dishonest Ebayer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PacoTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Dishonest Ebayer Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Kanstul 1600 on Ebay, described as in perfect working condition and dent free, with some very flattering photographs in the listing. It arrived with an obvious dent that had been strategically unphotographed, significant warping of the bell between the valve block and bell flare, and nearly frozen first valve slide and sluggish third valve slide. I contacted the seller about a partial refund of $100 to repair these problems, and he attempted to negotiate, offering $50. I reluctantly offered him a chance to make it right for $65 to which he didn't respond, and finally he sent me a taunting message saying he had quit playing trumpet and wouldn't be selling any more on Ebay. I have not received a check or PayPal payment from him, and in the interest of protecting others from any possible future con artistry on his part, I am listing his name. His Ebay name is mflory, and his full name is Michael Flory. I think he has behaved unethically and dishonorably, and I caution my fellow Ebayers and trumpet players to beware.
forrest
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just file it with PayPal. He may not have funds in his account now, but maybe, someday, he'll sell something else on the 'Bay.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dishonest Ebayer Reply with quote

PacoTheTrumpeter wrote:

...finally he sent me a taunting message saying he had quit playing trumpet and wouldn't be selling any more on Ebay. I have not received a check or PayPal payment from him, and in the interest of protecting others from any possible future con artistry on his part, I am listing his name. His Ebay name is mflory, and his full name is Michael Flory. I think he has behaved unethically and dishonorably, and I caution my fellow Ebayers and trumpet players to beware.

That's horrible.

Where is he from?
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why even deal with the seller and his plans not to play trumpet again or sell on Ebay in the future? Do you trust his integrity from the email he sent to you? Why let him intimidate or dismiss you?

Just file with PayPal now while you can and be done with it.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It arrived with an obvious dent that had been strategically unphotographed, significant warping of the bell between the valve block and bell flare, and nearly frozen first valve slide and sluggish third valve slide

. Where is the hidden dent? how is it that with all the photos in the auction that a "significant' warping of the bell is not visible?
Maybe the owner didn't use the 1st & 3rd slides? The horn is under a year old, maybe they were never even broken in at all.
considering the invoice shown in the photo, and the price you paid, i don't see how you feel this guy owes you anything. If you wanted a "perfect' horn, you should have purchased a new one but realize that even brand new Kanstuls are generally not perfect. and you would not get one for $1000
I would recommend that you contact Charles at Kanstul, and ask him about sending it back to the factory for fixes. (or what about the warranty that came with the instrument for the 'warping')
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
Quote:
It arrived with an obvious dent that had been strategically unphotographed, significant warping of the bell between the valve block and bell flare, and nearly frozen first valve slide and sluggish third valve slide

. Where is the hidden dent? how is it that with all the photos in the auction that a "significant' warping of the bell is not visible?
Maybe the owner didn't use the 1st & 3rd slides? The horn is under a year old, maybe they were never even broken in at all.
considering the invoice shown in the photo, and the price you paid, i don't see how you feel this guy owes you anything. If you wanted a "perfect' horn, you should have purchased a new one but realize that even brand new Kanstuls are generally not perfect. and you would not get one for $1000
I would recommend that you contact Charles at Kanstul, and ask him about sending it back to the factory for fixes. (or what about the warranty that came with the instrument for the 'warping')

WTF???

Ruh Roh.....

ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a note on repairs, last time I spoke with Charles in regards to getting 1600 repaired...a huge part of the cost was removing the brushed lacquer and redoing it as part of the repair job (note they never saw the acutal horn). I believe that was $250 +/-.

For what it's worth he's still selling stuff, so his paypal account can be held, at least for a small amount. If you used a credit card, that's another area where a hold can be placed.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip - 1. never buy a horn that has 'photogenic' images. Go for thes that show the horn fair and square - front, back top bottom, etc.

2. If it's too good to be true for a price, then it is.

Another quality eBayer is one Jake Bloss, who goes under the tag 'jake3335jake'.

He auctioned a Jupiter 1602 - but it was one of those student Carnegie 60 models. In perfect condition - dirty and stuck, dented with lacquer missing. He denied everything, maintined the rage of innocence, until ebay ordered a refund, including my return shipping - thanks eBay!

You get dishonest shonks everywhere.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post some photos substantiating the damage to the bell and the dent?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: