• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stories about William Thieck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry....thanks for sharing....that certainly made my night, hearing how my grandfather's playing compared to others! I am back to work and there is no mercy when it comes to nurses hours....I'm so glad my much loved niece Tammy, is keeping this thread going....thanks to everyone who has replied and contributed.....only have a few hours to sleep and I'm back on the job......my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all who have shared info. on this thread.

Lori
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gasoline test on page 5!!! I'd sort of like to try it ... but I imagine it would take forever to get the smell out.

1928 ... reads like it could have easily been written in 2008.

Very interesting! Enjoyable and informative reading! Thanks for posting!

--Joe
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy,

Thanks for posting those pages. I’m looking forward to reading them this weekend!

Barry,

Great story from Bill Adam about William Thieck. That certainly speaks volumes about his quality as a player. Wow!

Looks like we just miss Thieck being recorded with an orchestra:

From a website about the San Francisco Symphony:
The first recording, of Auber's overture to Fra Diavolo, was made on January 19, 1925. It was an acoustical recording for the Victor Talking Machine of music by Auber and Richard Wagner, conducted by Alfred Hertz.

And the Minnesota (Minneapolis) Orchestra:
In the early 1920s, the Minnesota Orchestra became one of the first ensembles to be heard on recordings, as well as on the radio—in 1923 it played a nationally broadcast concert under guest conductor Bruno Walter—and it has been recording and broadcasting ever since.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori and Tammy,

I heard back from the Metropolitan Opera Archivist today, and unfortunately their records (orchestra contracts) do not go back earlier than 1910. So they are unable to say if William Thieck played in the group or not. They also checked on his wife and came up empty.

So, at least for now, we're at an impasse on this question.

Derek

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 10:37 AM
To: Reaban, Derek (MCOE)
Subject: RE: Question about MET Trumpet Section

Dear Derek,

Unfortunately, our contracts for orchestra go back only to 1910. William Thieck is not among the musicians listed in that earliest of our holdings.

His wife is not listed in our chorus file.

Given the period that interests you and the lack of supporting evidence we cannot be of help in your research.

I am sorry about this for both of us.

John Pennino
Archivist

PS: Jeff McMillan left our employ late last year.

Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 12:50 PM
To: Pennino, John
Subject: FW: Question about MET Trumpet Section

John,

I sent an email message to Jeff McMillan who worked at the Met Archives a number of years ago, and since I hadn't heard back from him, I wasn't sure if his email was still active.

I'm hoping that you can help with a question that I have. Please see the attached message, and if you are able to confirm if William Thieck was with the Metropolitan Opera Trumpet Section in the early 1900s, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 9:14 AM
To: 'McMillan, Jeff'
Subject: Question about MET Trumpet Section

Jeff,

It's been quite a while since I've contacted you, but I have another question about the MET Trumpet Section. There is a current thread on the Trumpet Herald website about William Thieck who was Principal trumpet with the Minneapolis Symphony and the San Francisco Symphony in the early part of the 1900s. His granddaughter happened across the website and the research that I had done for many different ensembles and has provided lots of great photos, scans of old orchestra programs, and contract details (and a number of really cool stories):

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1117009#1117009

She discovered that he arrived in the United States in about 1903 and lived in New York prior to moving to Minnesota to play principal trumpet in both the Saint Paul Symphony and the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestras. Is it possible that he may have been part of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra?

His wife was an opera singer. Was she at any point in the opera chorus? Her name was Marie Antonie (Weissbach) Thieck.

I'd appreciate it if you could check your records to see if they may have been at the MET between 1903 and 1905.

Hope all is going well for you.

Thanks,

Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: No recordings of Thieck exist! Reply with quote

I was hoping to one day hear a long lost recording of grandfather playing....but knew the chances of that were slim to none. I appreciate the info. that confirms no such recording could exist....Missed it by just a few years!

Thanks Derek, and everyone, for your efforts and input!......

It is awesome to hear stories passed down, from those who actually "spoke" with those who knew grandfather, heard him play or knew of him.

I'm really enjoying this!!!

Lori

Last edited by Thieckgirl on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Thieck's earlier history info. to add. Reply with quote

WE HAVE LEARNED:

William Thieck, who was a native of Germany, was given a musical education by the govt. there. (Story we heard was: Thieck's father (a french horn player) conducted an orchestra that played for the Kaiser.... See pic on this thread of Wm. Thieck's father, with others in uniform...His uniform is slightly different, possibly showing his higher rank?

WE RECENTLY LEARNED also:

Wm. Thieck was brought to this country by Walter Damrosch, AKA Walter Johaness Damrosch
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Damrosch-Walter.htm

Around 1903, when Wm. Thieck arrived in New York from Hamburg, on the vessel "Patricia".......
Damrosch info shows this: Reference above site..

Born: January 30, 1862 - Breslau, Prussia
Died: December 22, 1950 - New York City, NY, USA
In 1894 he founded the Damrosch Opera Company in New York, which he conducted in performances of German operas until 1899, both there and in other major USA cities. From 1900 to 1902 he was again on the roster of the Metropolitan Opera. He was conductor of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in 1902-1903. After the reorganisation of the Symphony Society of New York in 1903, he was its conductor until it merged with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in 1928.

The 1911 Britannica stated:
Damrosch... the eminent conductor of the New York Symphony Orchestra, and of various operatic undertakings, has established his position as an original and poetic composer, not only by his opera, The Scarlet Letter, but by such songs as the intensely dramatic Danny Deever.

His autobiography was published as My Musical Life (New York, 1923; 2nd edition, 1930).
This book will go on my "MUST READ" list...must try to find it !!!

Thieck's last days:
Wm. Thieck was leader of the 105th (?) Cavalry Band in Watertown, WI not very long before his death.....but was not still with them at the time of his death.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of "The Art of Trumpet Playing, The Thiecke Method" (that's the spelling on the cover) arrived this weekend, but I've only had a chance to browse it quickly so far. If the spelling is actually incorrect, you might contact Charles Colin and inform them that it should be changed.

It's according to the cover text "revised and edited" by Mel Broiles and Charles Colin. I think I would have been happier to have the original version, especially if the changes were anything more substantial than just "bringing the language up to date" (shudder).

Anyway, a very interesting thread. I look forward to reading the text and working through the exercises in the book.
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Glad you got your book, Randy! Reply with quote

When I called them to order my grandfather's book I mentioned "You have a Thieck Book I'd like to order".....the lady on the phone seemed surprised when I said this is Thieck's granddaughter....then she offered to send me a complimentary copy.....I checked the mailbox everyday!

Hope you enjoy the book....guess the grounds for obtaining the copyright was the changing of some of the wording! Yes, I should have asked them to PLEASE correct the spelling of his name!

Best wishes!
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked this site in quite some time. I've heard that my granfather's book, "The Art of Trumpet Playing" was just recently republished. I was wondering if anyone has seen the newest book, published, and if there are any changes in the preface from the last.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use Dr. Thieck's methods; they are very unique & serve as a diagnostic for correct trumpet playing..if you are doing something wrong you will NOT be able to play any of them. He was a genius!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: