• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

distance from stand and eyeglasses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickenator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: distance from stand and eyeglasses Reply with quote

This is a strange question, but as I am getting a bit older, I have been having more difficulty seeing the small print on my music stand. I am an amateur; practice a lot, and play in a couple of community orchestras. What do the pros recommend in terms of stand distance from my eyes? I have seen people keep stands close, but when I watch professional orchestras, it looks like the stands are lowered and at least 2-3 feet away. Also, I am thinking about a pair of single strength glasses, as I have never had luck with bifocals or progressives. Thoughts? Thanks.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very bad eyes, so I use single vision lens that my optometrist fits specifically for 2-3 feet. Also, whenever possible, I use an iPad Pro in place of sheet music. For me, the lighting had a lot to do with vision.

When I was studying with George Vosburgh in the 1980s, he said your stand should be placed where you had to lean forward to turn the page. He said in Orchestra Hall, they use the floor in front of them as a reflective surface to aid in projection. Rarely do you have that much room, but it's something I have always remembered.

HTH

Ben
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: distance from stand and eyeglasses Reply with quote

nickenator wrote:
This is a strange question, but as I am getting a bit older, I have been having more difficulty seeing the small print on my music stand. I am an amateur; practice a lot, and play in a couple of community orchestras. What do the pros recommend in terms of stand distance from my eyes? I have seen people keep stands close, but when I watch professional orchestras, it looks like the stands are lowered and at least 2-3 feet away. Also, I am thinking about a pair of single strength glasses, as I have never had luck with bifocals or progressives. Thoughts? Thanks.

I have special music-reading bifocals. Most of the lens is a special "intermediate" prescription optimized for 32 inches (81 cm). There's a thin distant-vision segment across the top of the lens, aligned roughly with the top of the music stand when I'm seated, so I can see the conductor clearly and make eye contact occasionally.

It's easy enough for an optometrist to prescribe a lens for a 32-inch distance (or what you prefer), but it's not so easy to find an optician that can provide "high-segment executive bifocals" which is the technical description of the lenses.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a strange question at all. I found music stands and my laptop screen in my office were both exactly in the no man's land between lenses in my bifocals last time my Rx changed. The music stand issue was especially embarrassing because I ended up reading every note a line higher the first day at a jazz camp.

I went with progressives. Most my playing is done without music in front of me, so there they suffice, and they are very good at computer distance.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Stand Distance Reply with quote

Nickanator,

Our playing activity is quite similar. I'm into the latter half of my 70's and I'm blessed with pretty good vision so far, but I cannot read the music on my stand accurately. My solution is a pair of +1.00 diopter reading glasses I find in drug stores. Plus 1.25 will work, but anything more is too strong for my eye-to-stand distance. I do have to lean forward a bit to turn pages.

I keep at least two pair in my horn case and each of my trumpet cases.

A horn player friend of mine and at least one oboist I know have a pair of "music" glasses they got from an eye doctor, set to their desired eye-to-stand distance.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. I tried progressives. The mid range section was too narrow for me to scan the music without turning my head. The answer after having single vision for the intermediate was to go with bifocals. A lower section is to read print very close. This is for sorting music and doing things in my lap. The large upper section is just for reading music on the stand.

The conductor is a bit fuzzy, but really it is just peripheral anyway. If I really have to see the stick waver, I look over the top of the glasses.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically wear progressives in my everyday life. However, when I read music, I switch to a pair of single vision glasses that were fitted for me by my optometrist. I believe I set the stand at approximately 33 inches away for this fitting.

As I often play with a group that does outdoor performance, I had these music stand glasses made with Transition lenses, so they darken in sunlight.

(Many years earlier when I could get away with single vision distance lenses, a late afternoon outdoor performance went later than expected, and I was having much difficulty wearing polarized, single vision sunglasses when the sun went down. Transitions are my sunglass of choice now.)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I've found Foster Grant Multi Focus reading glasses (found at CVS) to be a pretty good option. They're a bit more costly than other OTC readers, around $35 but that's way better than the cost of prescription glasses. These are progressive (no line) trifocals that come in a variety of strengths. The top is set for "interacting", the middle for computer use, and to bottom for reading. After my good experience with them my wife went online and bought a few more that we share. I like them a lot better than standard single strength readers.

I'll echo the sentiment that a larger tablet is noticeably easier for me to see compared to most printed parts even when well lit. Wife just recently gifted me a large iPad Pro that I can't wait to use when I get back to performing.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found any bifocals to work for me in this situation. I took music and a stand into my appointment with my opthalmologist and we concluded that the sweet spot for me was about 29". So, we retested my eyes for that distance and to identify a specific prescription for music reading glasses. For many people, this might not be necessary, but my it was for me.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to find the right strength for the reading glasses is to measure the distance to your music, then go the the grocery of drug store, try on the different reading glasses (over your prescription glasses if your wear them), and select the ones that have the music in focus at the right distance.

Then, the strength of those glasses tells you what add you need for your music glasses. You can get single vision prescription glasses for a good price at zenni.com I'm not connected with them in any way except as a very pleased customer. LOTS cheaper than your local eye place, and the quality is excellent.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use special glasses for playing music. Same as Ben.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Noodly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have bad astigmatism like I do (also age 70) then drugstore readers will not be much help. Back in high school band I wore single-focus glasses. Now I wear progressives that also correct for astigmatism. I can read my computer screen just fine at arms length but the in-focus band is small. Without my glasses, I can tell that there is a piece of paper on the music stand.

Custom "musicians glasses" may be the right way to go if you are playing in a group.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured my typical eye to stand distance and took that to the optometrist. He examined me for that distance and wrote me a prescription for single-vision lenses for that purpose. I keep them in my case, and all is well again.
rbtrpt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nickenator

I've played with Dallas Opera for 30 years, so I have some experience with seeing my music in dark pits. We use stand lights 100% of the time, and they have gotten much better over the years, thankfully!

If you don't have an opthamologist/optometrist, you might want to get one. They can test your eyes and recommend what you need. Otherwise, you can easily waste time and money guessing.

For me, I use reading glasses at 125 strength for music AND computer distance. I don't like bifocals for those purposes or progressive bifocals for ANY purpose. The ones I use are OTC and smallish so I can peek over the top of them to see the conductor.

For reading, (non-music, non-computer) I need a 250 strength, and I DO use lined prescription bifocals. This may mean some switching back and forth between glasses sometimes, but no biggie. The rule of thumb that my eye-guy tells me is that readers should typically be twice the strength of computer lenses. That formula works for me, but your mileage may vary.

I have had cataract surgery with lens implants, so my distance vision is almost 20/20. It's only close up that glasses are needed.

Find the right combo, and it'll change your life!!!

Best wishes
Rick Bogard
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear progressive daily, but for music I have single vision glasses adjusted for 36 inches. I also make sure that my music glasses don't get darker in the sunlight and are not tinted in any way.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most optometrists will know what computer reading glasses are: set for just over arm's length away. These usually work well for music reading.

Luckily, I only need close up reading glasses for now, a my eyes have done the normal 'we're not going to do the quick change focus thingy anymore' routine. I eagerly await my 70's when it all reverses and my close vision is good and need glasses to drive or wave at the timpanist whole conducting...

Being in a country with universal healthcare, I get an annual eye checkup. This includes glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc, and for most optometrists, you will be eligible for a free pair of script glasses as well. Usually not the Gucci diamonte encrusted type, but you get the idea... It's good to be able to see!

cheers

Andy
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I played in the Brooklyn Symphony and our bass trombonist, Barry Santini, was also an optometrist. I visited his shop along with my trumpet, a music stand and a page of march book (you know what I’m talking about). Barry made me music glasses that were perfect.

When I moved down here my prescription changed, especially after cataract surgery. There’s a shop here that advertises “2 pairs plus an exam for $69.95. Again I brought my trumpet, music stand and march music. I have 2 pair that work splendidly.

I remember at the first Lake Placid Trumpet Seminar Tom Stevens took out a pair of glasses and said “These are my music glasses. I can see my music and not see the conductor!”.

LCM
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not even 50 but my eyes easily compete with some of yours With -12 diopters on my regular glasses reading the print is a real issue now that the eyes start to change again.

I went for a separate set of glasses that focus at about a yards distance (have to get that bass trumpet in there ...) and since having them I am fine again. Expensive but worth it and much better than bifocals.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my optician to make my glasses for my music stand distance.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I just got my optician to make my glasses for my music stand distance.

Same for me. I got glasses for computer work, and the distance to the stand is about the same.

Last edited by starkadder on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: