• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which is THE Couesnon flugel?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadenza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Which is THE Couesnon flugel? Reply with quote

Inspired by another current thread ("Unusual Couesnon flugel"), I wanted to ask which Couesnon model is THE archetypical, wonderful, granddaddy rich-sounding Couesnon flugelhorn?

As the OP of the other thread, markp, so succinctly summarizes, "Why are all these damn Couesnons such a puzzle?" We've all heard about the "Queenie's" buttery rich tone, but I've never been able to figure out which of the models this refers to.

Thought I would ask.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes Wild Thing.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cadenza

i have a couesnon that i bought at Zeps in hollywood back in 1978 or so. i was just a student so i didn't really know what i was buying. i have had it all of these years but never liked it for the ****ty valves. as a result i hadn't touched it in about 10 years. SO, i was getting my trumpet valves aligned at Reeves and i took the flugel with me to ask Bob some questions about the valves. i wanted to know if an alignment would help. he thought it was the plastic guides causing the problem and suggested that i drop by the factory as i am in Paris quite a bit. so i did.

i took my horn out to the factory to get some guides. instead i got a 4 hour tour of the factory, a history of the company and i got so see some horns being made. from valve blocks to bell making to assembly to spraying the lacquer on the polished brass.

so to get to your question...... the horn that i have is the student model. we know that from the 2 piece bell instead of the pro 1 piece bell. you can see the knuckle on the bottom that tells you that it is in two pieces. they told me that the horns are identical save for the bells.

it turns out that my horn was made sometime in the very early '70s.
........back to my happy ending. SO, the husband of the daughter of the boss is the valve maker. he gave my horn a good look and said that it wasn't the guides but the valve casings themselves. they hadn't been thoroughly finished at the time of manufacture. there were still rough spots where the guides ride along and that THAT is what was causing the valves to hang. so he basically did the final step in valve preparation that was missed back in 1972 and now the student horn KILLS!!! the valves just FLY. they didn't even charge me for the work. now that is a guarantee
if i have ever seen one!!! i also decided to get the new valve caps and felts to give the horn a bit of an update and to celebrate its return to action.

so basically any couesnon that you can get should have that buttery sound that you are describing. mine does. they also told me that the finn on the back side of the bell is not a standard thing these days but was many years ago. they are a wonderful company!!

so if you can get your hands on one get it and you'll be happy that you did.

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun story!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hub van Laar flugels are nowadays the real Cuesnon flugels.
I have no knowledge of the American flugelscene but the Van Laar region is really flugelcountry, dotted with villages with some kind of developed brassbandthing, (Adams is in the same area).
Everybody seems to play the flugel there:

http://www.vanlaartrumpets.nl/content/en/175/brabants-fanfare-orchestra

The website of HvL is not updated, there is even a whole new range of R-flugels, for the rest:

http://www.vanlaartrumpets.nl/content/en/3/flugelhorns

I am saving money for a B1, even thinks of selling my great 40ties 36A and 80A for it.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuesnon Still exist.
They still make flugels and cornets, including a four valve flugel:

http://www.pgm-couesnon.com/catalogueproduits.php

The french word for flugel is "bugle" so look in the bugle section.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Cadenza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for ideas to date.

There seems to be many Couesnon models available, from older to newer, so it's really very difficult to sort out which ones could be wheat and which could be chaff!

Any specific experience or suggestions -- good, bad or otherwise -- with respect to specific models?

Last edited by Cadenza on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: The Monopole
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion some of the best Couesnon flugel's are the one from the late 60's and early 70's.

These have the finger ring that looks like a "C" as well as a big "C" in the engraving. Most of the pro's from that period who used Couesnon's used this model. Some had good build quality while others didn't, regardless, they all have THE French sound.

I personally think the Monopole has a bit of hype associated to it.

Last edited by mpo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwflyboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: I just picked up an OLD Couesnon Flugel Reply with quote

I just picked up a Silver Couesnon Flugelhorn and had it chem cleaned and a basic repair for the 3rd valve/slide trigger. For a 100 bucks it is a beauty of a horn and I now have a Blessing 154t lacquered with double case for sale if anyone is looking.

The horn plays very well and I love the sound. I believe it is a smaller bore, yet sounds very full. Wished they had records to know when this one was made as it is a Monopole Star model that a lady pulled out of the attic saying it had been in the family for some time. What an awesome find for me!
1946 Martin Commitee
1978 L.A. Benge 3x MLP bore
60's Couesnon Monopole Star Flugelhorn
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpo wrote:
In my opinion some of the best Couesnon flugel's are the one from the late 60's and early 70's.

These have the finger ring that looks like a "C" as well as a big "C" in the engraving. Most of the pro's from that period who used Couesnon's used this model. Some had good build quality while others didn't, regardless, they all have THE French sound.

I personally think the Monopole has a bit of hype associated to it . . . .

I agree, and still have a very, very good one that I bought new in 1972 after a long search for a fantastic fluglehorn. Mine's the two-piece bell version and it sounds better than the Monopoles I've heard, hands-down.

Heck, I still have the original hang tags that were on the case. The two-piece bell version was the Model 2155, BTW.

It still plays very well and plays in tune and I thought it was the only horn in my stable that I'd never put down. It is retired today, and serves only as a back up horn to my Wild Thing Fluglehorn . . . which is in an entirely different league.

But heck, I think I paid about $200 for it NEW back in '72. I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

Here's the tag . . .

Tom

Cadenza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Any chance of some pictures from you folks with horns that you like?

If so, many thanks!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadenza wrote:
Great! Any chance of some pictures from you folks with horns that you like?

Your wish is my command...

Fabulous playing. Admittedly, the Kanstul valves are very tight initially. But after you get them broken in properly, they're extremely good. The only better valves I have encountered were done as part of a restoration by Charlie Melk on a cornet.
stevesf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Shew sure sounded great on his "queenie" in the 70's and 80's.
(goes without saying I guess )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaF_DvJG6zY[/code]
rwflyboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I just picked up an OLD Couesnon Flugel Reply with quote

rwflyboy wrote:
I just picked up a Silver Couesnon Flugelhorn and had it chem cleaned and a basic repair for the 3rd valve/slide trigger. For a 100 bucks it is a beauty of a horn and I now have a Blessing 154t lacquered with double case for sale if anyone is looking.

The horn plays very well and I love the sound. I believe it is a smaller bore, yet sounds very full. Wished they had records to know when this one was made as it is a Monopole Star model that a lady pulled out of the attic saying it had been in the family for some time. What an awesome find for me!

Serial on mine is a Couesnon Monopole Star 40998
would like to know the year of it... came in original case green interior. Terrible cases these had...definitely going to get a Vax combo case.
1946 Martin Commitee
1978 L.A. Benge 3x MLP bore
60's Couesnon Monopole Star Flugelhorn
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by mpo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would consider .421 bore to be "large"? Interesting, although I don't agree. Especially given that Kanstul makes a .453 bore flugel as well. It seems to lie more "in the middle" of many of the flugels out there, and smaller than some of the Yamaha models as well, not on the large end, imo.
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
You would consider .421 bore to be "large"? Interesting, although I don't agree. Especially given that Kanstul makes a .453 bore flugel as well. It seems to lie more "in the middle" of many of the flugels out there, and smaller than some of the Yamaha models as well, not on the large end, imo.

.421 is "larger" than .411 or .413 which is typical of French flugels. I never said large

The 1525 is a nice horn, I just wouldn't consider it the French sound.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPO,

Thanks for giving me a good deal on the Couesnon. I am still playing it and love the sound!
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
MPO,

Thanks for giving me a good deal on the Couesnon. I am still playing it and love the sound!

Thanks Jon, I am glad you still enjoy the horn. It means a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: