• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bebop vs. Hard bop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhillhows

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I may be showing my ignorance here, but I'm curious about this and I won't get the answer unless I ask the question. So here goes: What's the difference between hard bop and bebop. I know hard bop came after bebop, but what musical clues do I listen for when trying to categorize a tune? I really enjoy listening to jazz and particularly enjoy listening to Blue Mitchell, Clifford, Dizzy, Kenny Dorham, and James Moody to name a few. I want to learn more about the sorta "sub-categories" of jazz.

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.

Shed Hard!

-Robert
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
musically Hard Bop is more melodic. Bebop is more of a performers art-form, while Hard Bop is more of a listeners art-form. By performers artform I mean to say that players like Diz, Bird, and Monk would play through a tune without playing the "head" first. They approached the music thinking that the listener had already digested the standards of the day and would recognize them by their chord structure. Hard Bop is based more around the melody in that you usually hear the melody atleast one time, then the performer(s) will start in on a (usually) technically challenging solo. Yes, Hard Bop post-dates Bebop, but without Bebop Hardbop would not really exist. The best example of this is probably listening to Charlie Parker's Embraceable You, then listening to a recording onf Wynton playing the same tune. You will hear the difference immdediately. Also, keep in mind that Wynton is a disciple of Art Blakey, who pioneered the Hard Bop genre.
That's my best explaination..
-efwd
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also..
try listening to Clifford playin Stardust on Clifford Brown w. Strings and then listen to Diz doing the same tune.. The difference is usually tremendous.
-efwd
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try this by mentioning that there had began a movement sometime during the 1950s on the East Coast to restore the old vitality to jazz music that had been lost as a result of the commercialization of cool jazz. This movement was, in part, a reaction to the cool jazz established on the West Coast. The main proponents of the hard bop movement included Horace Silver and Art Blakey. Silver, in particular successfully fused blues and contemporary Black gospel music into bop music resulting in a music that is highly volatile and emotional. Some describe these influences or qualities as "funk". By the way, it was not long before the style underwent simplification and commercialization and would later be known as "soul jazz". Some of the devices noticable in Silver's style include little interludes, similar to short introductions for each soloist to relieve the monotony of a form that had become basically, head-solos-head. For the horns Silver often wrote riff patterns and rhythms patterns as accompaniment material, similar to sax and brass sections of big bands of an earlier time. The main players of the hard bop school can be heard through the music of Silver, Blakey, Bobby Timmons, Les McCann, and Cannonball Adderley. Seek out these players and you will discover the best of the hard bop school.
Larry Smithee
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry hit the nail on the head.

Hard bop has a blues/gospel component. Listen to anything with Horace Silver or Bobby Timmons and you're in the ballpark. Most of the early Blue Note catalog is hard bop stuff.

I'd put Lee Morgan, Blue Mitchell, Donald Byrd, Bill Hardman in that category.

I'd hesitate to call Clifford Brown a hard bop trumpet player. He certainly played some of that stuff (e.g., the Blakey "Live at Birdland" recordings), but I think of him more as a protean post-bop player. Certainly the bulk of his recorded material is not hard-bop stuff (more west coast, IMO).

Some people think of Freddie or even Woody Shaw as hard bop players, but I think this is guilt by association. Again, it's not like their association with Blue Note hard bop in the early 60s reflects the kind of music they ended up recording once they got their own recording contracts as leaders. Kenny Dorham is another one who played hard bop, but also played alot of bebop (w/Bird) and post-bop (w/Joe Henderson).

Of course, my objection probably infers an approach that you can pigeonhole a player into a particular style. It's probably more like a venn diagram -- recordings representing styles, where a player's participation and approach overlap into different genres...

I can't figure out how to respond to the suggestion that Clifford's ballad playing is somehow an example of hard bop playing. That somehow seems like it overreaches the stylistic components of hard bop. (That is, I've never heard someone make a case for there being a ballad style of hard bop.)
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would Trane fit into the scheme? I am interested in hearing your opinions...

I have always thought of the mid-section (late 50's - early 60's) of Trane's vast musical career as being, in part, one of the evolutionary steps from bebop to hard bop.... to me, Giant Steps (the album as a whole) is a departure from the traditional bebop idea of creating a new head based on existing chord changes... in many ways, he is kind of a "Beethoven" type of figure, with his feet planted in the past while stretching towards the future. I am not trying to pigeon-hole Trane...it is impossible to do that when you look at the diaspora of music he created over his career. Do you guys think there is some validity to my assertion here?

Let's work on a definition of bebop and hard bop. I realize that the very nature of this discussion is inviting flames like nobody has seen to date on this forum. If you consider that the whole of jazz is highly individualistic in nature, there will certainly be passionate opinions and disagreement on many issues. I will admit to being a novice when it comes to jazz knowledge. I am interested in sitting back and reading/learning from all of you folks who have lived it passionately for a long time.

Sorry about the can of worms, guys...it just slipped out of my hands...er, mouth...er, keyboard!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Paul Poovey
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry and Jeff explain it well. I'll just add that hard bop evolved from bebop independently of John Coltrane -- it'd already happened by the time Coltrane joined Miles Davis in 1955, and the _Workin'_, _Steamin'_, _Cookin'_ and _Relaxin'_ albums they made epitomize the hard bop style.

Basically, the great original hard bop records were mostly made in its heyday in about 1954-58, and they include the Davis titles; Horace Silver's _Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers_; Art Blakey's _At the Cafe Bohemia_ and _A Night at Birdland_; and the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet records. The entirety of Coltrane's records for Prestige in the 1950s were hard bop, and his Blue Note album _Blue Trane_ was one of the last great hard bop albums from this original period. After that, Coltrane started playing more harmonically complex music. On _Giant Steps_ and the great live records from his last Miles Davis tour in 1960, he tries to jam it all in on top of hard bop rhythm sections. After that he went modal and it wasn't really hard bop anymore. Silver and Blakey more or less continued developing hard bop for the rest of their careers; Brown died; Davis, Roach and Coltrane moved on.

Many Blue Note records of the 1960s could be called hard bop, but were colored by free jazz and modal jazz, too.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dales is correct regarding Trane. Shortly after the recording of Giant Steps in 1957 (I think) he would quickly move on toward a style that he is best remembered for and sometimes characterized as his "sheets" of sound conception. For this style he needed material with very few chords and within this framework he often attached a mass of dense melodic ideas that were nearly devoid of traditional phrasing. This too was a time when he become intensely interested in Eastern music philosophy. This is the style that represents his bread and butter musical heritage and what he is best remembered for, aside from his association with Miles. I would recommend listening to his recording of "Alabama" and "A Love Supreme" for really outstanding examples of Trane's mature style.
Larry Smithee
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Yanow of Allmusic.com offers the following on bop:

Quote:

Also known as bebop, bop was a radical new music that developed gradually in the early 1940's and seemed to explode in 1945. The main difference between bop and swing is that the soloists engaged in chordal (rather than melodic) improvisation, often discarding the melody altogether after the first chorus and using the chords as the basis for the solo. Ensembles tended to be unisons, most jazz groups were under seven pieces and the soloist was free to get as adventurous as possible as long as the overall improvisation fit into the chord structure. Since the musicians were getting away from using the melodies as the basis for their solos (leading some listeners to ask "Where's the melody?"), the players were generally virtuosos and some of the tempos were very fast, bop divorced itself during the early years of bop from popular music and a dancing audience, uplifting jazz to an art music but cutting deeply into its potential commercial success. Ironically the once-radical bebop style has become the foundation for all of the innovations that followed and now can be almost thought of as establishment music. Among its key innovators were altoist Charlie Parker, trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie, pianist Bud Powell, drummer Max Roach and pianist-composer Thelonious Monk. Bop also mutated into Swing-Bop, which crossed the inventions of bop with a swinging Big Band, and Vocalese, which was a vocal interpretation of bop. Contemporary artists performing straight bop are often classified as Modern Bop

and the following on hard bop:

Quote:

Although some history books claim that hard bop arose as a reaction to the softer sounds featured in cool jazz, it was actually an extension of bop that largely ignored West Coast jazz. The main differences between hard bop and bop are that the melodies tend to be simpler and often more "soulful," the rhythm section is usually looser with the bassist not as tightly confined to playing four-beats-to-the-bar as in bop, a gospel influence is felt in some of the music and quite often the saxophonists and pianists sound as if they were quite familiar with early rhythm and blues. Since the prime time period of hard bop (1955-70) was a decade later than bop, these differences were a logical evolution and one can think of hard bop as bop of the 50's and 60's. By the early '60s, the music had already splintered into a number of different styles, notably Modal Jazz, Post-Bop and Soul-Jazz. By the second half of the 1960's, the influence of the avant-garde was being felt and some of the more adventurous performances of the hard bop stylists (such as Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan) fell somewhere between the two styles. With the rise of fusion and the sale of Blue Note (hard bop's top label) in the late 1960's, the style fell upon hard times although it was revived to a certain extent in the 1980's. Much of the music performed by the so-called Young Lions during the latter decade (due to other influences altering their style) can be said to play Modern Mainstream although some groups (such as the Harper Brothers and T.S. Monk's Sextet) have kept the 1960's idiom alive.

and, finally, the following on post-bop:

Quote:

It has become increasingly difficult to categorize modern jazz. A large segment of the music does not fit into any historical style; it is not as rock-oriented as fusion or as free as avant garde. Starting with the rise of Wynton Marsalis in 1979, a whole generation of younger players chose to play an updated variety of hard bop that was also influenced by the mid-'60s' Miles Davis Quintet and aspects of free jazz. Since this music (which often features complex chordal improvisation) has become the norm for jazz in the 1990s, the terms modern mainstream or Post-Bop are used for everything from Wallace Roney to John Scofield, and symbolize the eclectic scene as jazz enters its second century.

The underlying theme here is a persistent move away from melodic improvisation and more and more towards complex harmonic improvisation.

Bop turned music on its ear rather quickly by interpolating altered extensions into the functional vocabulary of the improvisor, and tweaked the establishment by using these extensions in ways that dragged the listener along with. Very angular, vertical thinking. Lots of unison head charts, used exclusively as vehicles to get into the blowing.

Hard bop, then, could be seen as a reintegration of sorts of the "arranged" features of the music of big bands. Introductions, heads, interludes, sendoffs, codas are much more common in this form. Seems to me that the blowing also steps back a bit into more melodic form, as well as the melodies themselves.

I personally view everything of Coltrane's past Blue Trane as post-bop. I'm not sure it's fair to call Giant Steps modal, it's more the beginning of pentatonic approaches. Again, he's getting away from heavily arranged material in favor of something to set up the blowing, but the blowing is now more harmonically complex by virtue of tangentially related key areas (B / G / Eb in the case of Giant Steps), as opposed to following the traditional harmony of popular song forms (bop, post-bop), though he would later start crossing them over ("26-2" as compared with "Confirmation", "Countdown" versus "Tune Up". Again, Trane played long enough in enough different styles to fall under several different umbrellas.

Obviously, as cited above, post-bop is a pretty big umbrella, enough so as to be pretty useless except to distinguish it as being different from hard bop.

Fun topic...
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, thanks for posting that enlightening and informative synopsis. I've never seen it all explained so clearly before.

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
bluenote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that how one approach's a 'hard bop' tune is quite different than a straight bebop tune. If you want a GREAT example of the hard bop genre, get the newest Abersold "Lee Morgan." Much of the tunes are based on either a vamp or 4-8 bars of a dominant chord. The bridge is often a sequence of ii-v progressions or 4-8 bars of a augmented chord (they really seemed to like that). Another master of 'hard bop' writing is Hank Mobley. A regular be-bop tune (Confirmation comes to mind) is mostly based bar ii-v's that fit into a harmonic scheme.

Someone earlier stated that "hard bop was more of a listeners art form while bebop was more of a performers art form", and I would very respectfully disagree with that. I actually find the hard bop style not only more interesting, but more challenging to play. You have know how to play over extended one bar chords, run chord changes, play altered chords (such as playing over eight bars of an augmented chord), and progressions that don't always fit into a harmonic scheme. Plus, the tunes are often in different time signatures. 'Valse Hot' is the only bop tune I can think of in 3/4.

[ This Message was edited by: bluenote on 2003-07-07 16:54 ]
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all -- I have enjoyed reading and learning from you! Looks like I have some recordings to go buy!

Paul Poovey
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-07 16:49, bluenote wrote:
'Valse Hot' is the only bop tune I can think of in 3/4.

I'm not sure that tune qualifies as a bop tune, but your point is a good one. Tunes originally written in 3/4 (e.g., "Lover") were sometimes converted to fast 4/4 for the purpose of blowing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: