• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'Universal Trumpet Day'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comosun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: 'Universal Trumpet Day' Reply with quote

Hi all,

A masterclass with young Spanish trumpeter/teacher/humanist Jordi Albert this week gave me an idea.
He noted that much of our classical music stems from a time when the aristocracy was in full bloom. The classics were for the rich; the poor had to make do with lesser musical offerings.
The fact that symphony and ballet halls are today still full of people dressed in their fineries, he said, is a strong sign that this class bias is still alive and well. The cost is a real barrier to the less affluent attending these events and enjoying and spreading a love for live quality music.
Later I asked Jordi how we might overcome this, given that live quality music is right now being swallowed up in the digital revolution.
He proposed that top flight trumpet players devote one day a week to going into the poorer areas of cities and towns in which they live to hold street concerts and recitals
In this way, he said, we could spread love for brass playing among many more young people.
To this I say - let's create a 'Universal Trumpet Day' - a day in which one day a week quality brass players take to the streets, to the parks, to the malls to spread the wonderful sound of live, quality brass playing.
Of course, take along a tip jar!

Gerry

- Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: