• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Colleges...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Applying to college this fall, and I've been thinking about these 3:

Northwestern (Top Choice)
Oberlin
Carnagie Mellon

I have heard that all three have good programs in both music and engineering and was wondering if anyone had any further comments.

I'll also be applying to GaTech just in case, but I really want a college thats strong in both music and science/engineering because i havent decided exactly which one i want to be a career and which one i want to be a hobby yet.

Stuart
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Barb Butler and Charles Geyer still teach at Northwestern? Can anybody affirm this? If they are still there, then that would definitely be a great school to go to!
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Butler and Charlie Geyer are still at Northwestern as of this year.
The competition was stiff, and of course you need the grades as well as the trumpet skills.
They seem like wonderful people as well as great teachers.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is enrolling this fall at Northwestern in flute performance and may double in English so I can tell you what she liked about it.

NW offers a double degree program in Engineering or in liberal arts. There are actually boxes on the application you can mark if you want to apply. They are 5-year programs and if you are enrolled in one I believe the 5th year is tuition free. (I hope so)

Of course the NW music school is strong in brass and winds. We were advised to find a teacher my daughter would get along with well (both personally and technique-wise) and whose students get jobs. As far as trumpet is concerned Geyer and Butler both have great reputations I believe Chris Martin the principal in Atlanta is one of their students and he sounds great. (although I think that was when they were at Eastman)

The academic credentials of NW are well-known. Its a top 10 school and the Princeton Review rates it as #1 in undergraduate academic experience. Of course rating lists can be somewhat arbitrary, but I think they generally show if the school is well thought of.

Logistically the music school is integrated with the rest of the university (i.e on the same campus) so I think double majoring (or at least minoring) is easier and the music students can interact with others, and visa versa. At U of Rochester/Eastman, for example, the campuses are about 3 miles apart and the music students live in a dorm a block from Eastman. We thought my daughter would spend alot of time on the bus going back and forth, and would be alienated from one group of students or the other depending upon where she lived.--- Of course Evanston is a nice place, and there is supposed to be a school shuttle that takes you downtown so you can go hear the Chicago Symphony, or go clubbing and not have to drink and drive.

I can tell you that my daughter is having second thoughts about double majoring. Both the music and English programs are rigorous with required courses and she thinks she may come out having a less-rounded education (and less fun) if she doubles. We'll see how it goes.

Lastly from a parent's perspective, its an expensive school. I think, except for athletic, all scholarships are based on need. The only trouble is, they don't think you need as much as you think you do. Good luck.
Prof Zep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three schools which you are considering have excellent programs and reputations. I am currently a student at Oberlin and I could not be more pleased. Roy Poper is the trumpet faculty and he is truly a great teacher and person. Also, the science dept./programs are very good from what I hear from my friends. I know Oberlin has a Double-Degree program, but I am not sure on Northwestern or Carnagie Mellon. Good luck with your college search and auditions. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at Prof_Zep@yahoo.com .

Last edited by Prof Zep on Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dltrmpt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with what was said about roy poper at oberlin. great trumpet player. one of the greatest studio players ever. had the opportunity to attend a masterclass and also to talk with him a little bit. real nice guy. also, one of the foremost authorities on the jimmy stamp method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: