• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

self clearing waterkeys Joy-valve

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: self clearing waterkeys Joy-valve Reply with quote

their slogan

Take your mind of the water and just play!!!!!

its true...and its a godsend for french horn players!(invented by one)

trumpet players dont seem to like the idea of leaking around all the time,but im gonna install them on the 3rd valve slide of my Couesnon Flugel...for example

its amazing and really works

i played french horn for about 15 minutes straight at the musikmesse...(usually you can only last about 3 minutes without gurgling)
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thejoykey.com/
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but why not just use an Amdo or Saturn water key. Those both are about as friendly as you can get to the interior of the horn if installed properly. No black magic to a French Horn or Flugel like any brass wind instrument you just have to put the water key some place it will not be sitting on a nodal point. You have to replace the wicking material on the Joy key but a Saturn is $19.95 each from Denis Wedgwood + $9 shipping and is easily able to last the life of the horn with nothing to replace and you have control over the key and drainage.

I am just wondering what it is about the Joy Key that makes you want to use it over all other well proven key designs.

What happens when you get water accumulating faster then it can wick out of the system???? Their is no way you can speed it up correct so you could end up gurgling.

Also how ugly is your FLugel going to look with that? Should you want to sell it do you think anyone would buy it in that configuration? I know I would not buy anything with it unless it was almost give to me because they look so hideous and I am not a big fan of trendy products that serve no purpose. Their are already too many water key systems that will out perform it and that are controllable by me the user. Just something to think about....Ic an only imagine for instance if this was a Bach C trumpet we where talking about instead of a Flugel how hard it would be to sell it unless you had a spare slide to go with it!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it come with a Joy Spring?
sparxIV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: joyspring Reply with quote

blaser............... please let us know how these W/Ks work on your Fl. Hn.

Sparx
blaser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its guaranteed to work wonders...first of all,spit doesnt accumilate that fast for me to even notice the air coming out,and it completely does not interfere with air flow...its better than an amato in that it doesnt have a spring....the only issue is cleaning,or replacing the filter(if your too lazy to clean the darn thing)...and that depends on your spit type....i happen to have "clean" spit!!!
amatos are also succeptible to problems if you have acidic or kalk ridden spit....been usin them for years without issue.....
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a device called a magnehelic. It is a device that gives you a visual readout of the amount of air flowing through an object. you can see it here:http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/tool-m300.html. Anyway, the lower the number on the readout, the better the seal. Between a 1 and 2 or below is an acceptable readout on a clarinet for example, as the pads tend to breath a bit. On a brass instrument ideally you would like to see it read below a one. Especially if it is new and the valves are good, there should be very minimal leakage. I have not personally tested these water keys, but I have a trusted colleague who has. It read about a 4.5 on the meter. If you were fitting slides or valves, that would be unacceptable. I would not pay good money to have my horn leak air. Just me. Maybe you won't notice the difference. But then, maybe you won't notice the difference if the spit cork in your traditional key is leaking air. I think I would. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe the design has been improved since the test was before. But, in my opinion amados and conventional valves are time tested and work. Why mess with it.
www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
Al's Music Shop
Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/
blaser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting shaun,

this seems to be a very important point concerning the main tuning slide..... would you say that perhaps it would make less of a difference ,say on the 3rd slide where its not being used all the time????
blaser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry!!! sean!!!!
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a Joy Key installed on my "travel" cornet. This is my beat-up horn I take on business trips. I did it as an experiment.

First ... the horn is much, much drier now. It used to collect water like a sponge before. Now, I never have to take off any slides to dump the water.

Second ... you have to be careful how you hold your horn. If you don't sit forward in your chair while you play, your horn can dribble on your pants (and it can look quite embarrassing).

It was a worthwhile experiment. My horn is much drier now. But, I don't know if I would ever put a Joy Key on my good horns.
sparxIV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: W/Ks Reply with quote

Thanks!!, musicalmason1,

that's all the info. I need.

Cheers,
Ted
www.sparxmusic.com
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Old guy dribbles Reply with quote

Just what the world of old trumpet players needs...a waterkey that dribbles for you.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Does it come with a Joy Spring?

i heard that the second joykey makes you play up a half a step.

(Joyspring second A section reference)
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Old guy dribbles Reply with quote

That is exactly what I thought watching the promo video!!!

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Just what the world of old trumpet players needs...a waterkey that dribbles for you.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Old guy dribbles Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808

I guess I qualify as an old trumpet player....... Guess I should not judge a product I have not seen or tried, but that sounds like a bad idea. Ok, maybe not "bad", but unnecessary, just using a standard lever type waterkey has never seemed like a problem.

Brad361
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point to consider is that when this guy stops making and selling them because the demand is not their what do you do then? LOL I would seriously doubt that anyone would make a sintered wicking material for it just because?!? The Amado design being cheap to produce and small as in it's impact on the cosmetics of the horn and it's effectiveness at not disturbing the inside of the horn much almost guarantee's it will be with us for another 100 years ins some form from some manufacture! On top of that any middle school kid in metal shop could make all the parts for one on a lathe if they needed one or replacement parts. The Saturn is built so well with regards to material selection that other then the small internal spring one should last longer then the rest of the horn. Check balls and small coiled springs are a dime a dozen and are common in the industry because hydraulics use circuits normally with check balls and coil springs come in all kinds of sizes for everything from ball point pins to parts for Howitzer's coil spring stock is easy to purchase. So the two parts that might wear out over time are not proprietary and easy to come by.

I just think that looking longterm this Joykey is a fad at best and has no chance of being with us over the next 20 years let alone the next 100. Horns on the other hand often last 100 years or more if maintained or stashed away in an attic!!!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a custom-shaped fritted glass filter. If it was a standard shape, one could buy these at many suppliers. As it is, no thanks.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info the photo's I saw made it look like some sort of sintered metal fiber. Well at least I know know it is not a throw away design should the company fold up shop! That is what scares me the most about this thing is that too many trendy things come and go and once their gone you have all kinds of boat anchor's when the parts are not available any more.

I am the type that likes to think 20,30,100 years down the road with something like a musical instrument because it is not that unheard of for a well maintained instrument to last that long or longer. I also like simple designs that are durable and do what they are supposed to do.

But still I would have to ask myself what does it do better then more conventional designs that makes it better then the other more time proven designs?

No one has yet given me any example of how this thing improves the process of removing water from a French horn as compared to any of the existing water key designs. No one has demonstrated how it is supposed to do more then other designs for intonation.

So far all I have seen for it's use is novelty! Which counts for little in my book but that does not mean it is bad. If it is just novelty though I think people should just come out and say it and get it over with! Their are all kinds of things that are novel on horns that I like but they do nothing to make the horn play any better. Take engraving "novel" does nothing to improve how a horn plays! No one thinks engraving is bad but no one is trying to sell it as a solution to a problem either!
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Old guy dribbles Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Tony Scodwell
Very funny Tony !!!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
...No one has yet given me any example of how this thing improves the process of removing water from a French horn as compared to any of the existing water key designs. ...

Well, not a french horn, but how about all those gurgles that Miles recorded?

Capt., you did made a good point about the future availability of parts.
Just try to find parts for yor disco ball now.
-Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: