• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Frank Campos' chapter on breathing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Frank Campos' chapter on breathing Reply with quote

So I was unsure at first whether to put this here or in Fundamentals, but I think it's suitable here since I'll be talking about playing high and breathing.

I read most of the stuff in Frank Campos' trumpet technique book. Probably the chapter that helped and inspired me the most was the chapter on breathing. I read this chapter twice through but there are a few things that are unclear to me still. It's pretty obvious that we always want to take in fairly full breaths (not completely full) and it's good to take in the air without any sound happening, because this means the air is entering freely without resistance in the throat and/or chest. It's good to think of filling from the bottom up - all of this makes perfect sense to me. What I'm still trying to understand is the exhale... while it's pretty obvious that tension is bad, I don't get how to compress the airflow itself without tensing up muscles. He talks about how the abdomen shouldn't firm up, and I understand WHY that is necessary when playing in the upper register (because firm muscles are only restricting airflow, right?) but don't understand HOW this concept is applied. I'm sure I could play to the top of my range without being too firm/tense, but I'd probably only be able to accomplish this at a pianissimo dynamic, and that wouldn't be of much use in performance.

Any thoughts on this, by all means add as you wish. After reading this (which was sometime like a year ago, and then again recently) and practicing, I realized that I was not consciously paying enough attention to my breathing, and noticed in immediate improvement just by the way I was taking in air. While I learned many things from this, I feel like there's still a key point or two that I'm missing...

I also watched that video of jim manley on youtube recently with him and another guy and he said some things about air use and sound, and using the resistance of the horn and am wondering if any of that stuff ties into this.

-Tim
PAB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to exhalation, Frank used to tell us (his students at Ithaca College) to just blow. Don't think about what to do with your abs or anything else, your body knows what to do if you just blow.

Hope that helps.

Ben
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I'm still trying to understand is the exhale... while it's pretty obvious that tension is bad, I don't get how to compress the airflow itself without tensing up muscles.

Do not confuse effort and tension.

The muscles that expell the air and the muscles that inhale the air are completely different muscle groups.

These are what are called "oposing" muscle groups. Just as your bicep and tricep are oposing muscles on your upper arm. The bicep curls the forearm and the tricep extends it.

You can engage both the tricep and the bicep equally so that there is no movement of the forearm. This is what you do when you "tense" your arm.

The inhale and exhale muscles can likewise tense against each other add reduced net force to the blowing action (or the inhale action).

The key is to simply use one group or the other. One to inhale and one group to exhale.

There is some air pressure (or negative pressure depending on the state of fullnes of the lungs) that is not due to any muscular action. This is thh elastic recoil of the lungs and players make use of it.

The muscles of exhale or inhale are engaged in varying degrees to add or reduce the amount of pressure required for the musical phrase. But, again, ther is no requirement to use both groups together at the same time. THAT, is tension.

You DO use the exhale muscles most of the time, (but not always), especially for louder tones. And more so as the lung air approchaes and exceeds the neutral-pressure state.

This effort is not "tension" as long as the inhale muslces are concurrently relaxed.
tpang

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this thread is a bit old but if you're still looking for stuff, try reading Frank's articles on the Reverse Breath. They should be able to help you understand and achieve that firm abdominal without the side effects (i.e. Valsalva maneuver)
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, take a look at the Urban Agnas clips on youtube. He talks about and demonstrates a less physical, more relaxed way of blowing. I bought his book and the combination of the book and watching the videos has helped me a lot.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Campos' chapter on breathing Reply with quote

TimTheTrumpeter wrote:
What I'm still trying to understand is the exhale... while it's pretty obvious that tension is bad, I don't get how to compress the airflow itself without tensing up muscles.
-Tim

Ok, as far as breathing goes, air comes in and out of our lungs naturally so to exhale for a louder note or phrase you do have to push a little more but when you set up naturally this shouldn't be a problem. When it comes to playing in the upper register you have to add the aperture and its control of the air in order to play up there with efficiency. Some say smaller say say larger, I say a more open aperture setting is appropriate for the upper register. The other element that I don't think people talk about is the mouthpiece and horn. I play a smaller and shallower mouthpiece with a large bore horn. Some people play a larger mouthpiece and a medium large bore horn, like a 3C on a Bach 37 which has 459 bore. My horn is a 468 bore a choke back to 464 and my mouthpiece is considerably smaller and also has a throat size one size smaller than a 3c, which is a 28. So for me the resistance is built into the equipment up front but once it goes into the horn it is free and open. On the 37 is tighter and more compact but also a different quality. Neither is bad or good just different and a personal preference. So on my setup it is more appropriate for an open aperture setting and also the use of more compression with the lips and tongue where as on a larger mouthpiece and smaller horn, you need less compression in the mouth and a smaller aperture setting. Wayne Bergeron puts it as putting the right signal through the right receiver. To me that makes sense not only its because how I approach playing. Is it in terms of what science says, no but I only care what my body tells me to do in order to play with the least amount of tension in my chops or body. I like to breathe as naturally as possible but for extreme registers apply the Shew wedge breath, but only above high c and really when I have to go above double high G. That's when I find supercharging and kicking in an extra gear really helps to get over the double register hump so my equipment doesn't back up on me. That's how I approach playing and have taught this to anyone has asked me about upper register playing because it is what I do at least 75-80% of the time, where the other part of that is playing legit and jazz that doesn't require an extreme upper register.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing in is always the same. When I exhale in the low or middle register, I think of exhaling as if I were talking to someone nearby. When playing above the staff I think of them as being a little further away. As I go higher I think of them being even further away. When playing above G above high C I think of them being across the street. The trick is to still think of talking not yelling. By doing this you can feel slight increases in abdominal pressure without over tensing.
PacoTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be trying to "compress the airflow" (whatever that means). You should simply be imagining the sound you want to make and blowing your full breath into the trumpet. And the idea is not that you shouldn't have firm abs during playing, but that you need to find a balanced way to play wherein the firming of muscles and direction of your energy is a byproduct of initiating the sound, not a conscious clenching action.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Campos' chapter on breathing Reply with quote

Frank is a truly wonderful player, excellent teacher and great guy. Very humble, too (a very nice character trait).

What he says is right, but if you want probably the best and most simple explanation, get a copy of Don Jacoby's book "Jake's Method." He got the simplest explanation of breathing and how it relates to playing wind instruments that I've ever read. I highly recommend it to all my students.

To condense what Jake says, and this I think goes along with Frank, is the higher the note you want to think the farther away it is from the front of the bell. In other words, for higher notes you blow your air farther in front of you (following any natural down or up-angles your air may have). Blowing farther means your air is also going faster (it naturally compresses)...faster air / higher notes. All the compression happens naturally and sub-consciously, something we don't wanna mess with.

Very Bill Adam. Very easy. Very right on the mark.

Pender's has it. $35, but it's got all great stuff in it.

www.penders.com/p/13571200/jakes-method

Something I always keep in mind, and this came from studying with Charley Davis, is "Let the sound fix the physical." And I think it was Herseth who said "If your sound is good it's because your air is right" or something like that.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=148173&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Campos' chapter on breathing Reply with quote

edited.

Last edited by nyctrumpeter on Thu May 19, 2011 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Campos' chapter on breathing Reply with quote

nyctrumpeter wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
Blowing farther means your air is also going faster (it naturally compresses)...faster air / higher notes. All the compression happens naturally and sub-consciously, something we don't wanna mess with.

See, Jake said it too. Higher notes equals faster air, happens through compression.

That's not what Jake said at all. Nor did I. I don't think you've read his book or if you have, understand it. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Please do not try to edit my wordage. Words said in a specific order make the information clear and easier to understand. That's what good teaching is about.

nyctrumpeter wrote:
Higher notes equals faster air

That would be completely wrong. High notes do NOT equal faster air. It's the exact opposite - faster air = higher notes. Therefore, high notes are a result of faster air, not the cause.

Blowing your air farther in front of you (and we're not talking great distances here - it can eventually, with practice and time, be very short distances) means you're also blowing your air faster. If you can change the way of thinking around to the result first, the physical / mechanical will make it happen.

By putting your mental focus on what's coming out of the front of your horn (SOUND), the things behind the horn will more easily fall into line. Your tongue will lift, your lips may or may not compress, your aperture may or may not get a little smaller, your corners will probably firm up, your diaphragm will rise up to assist in blowing your air further in front of you, any number of things...but all just enough to get your desired result. Yes, all of those things equal "air compression" but you don't want to think of those terms. Think of the reaction instead of the action.

What you want to happen is for all that to be natural / sub-conscious. Once you make it intentional / conscious, the chances of problems greatly increase. Unneeded / misdirected tension / choking / pinching all sorts of bad stuff.

If, while playing, you're thinking "Gotta compress! Gotta focus! Gotta Arch! Gotta (fill in the blank)", that's all you're gonna end up thinking about, instead of making music. Whereas if you think of your sound...a much easier physical and mental approach will happen.

I said it before and it bears repeating - reaction instead of action. It minimizes the actions you do and begats (a word I never thot I'd use) better results, not only in your sound and overall trumpet playing, but also in total body effort (lesser, not more - the "efficiency" thing).

Another good book is the one written by Scott Englebright, where he pretty much says right off the bat that to play efficiently you need to switch some of the ways you think, like that the speed of air and the amount of air are different things.

nyctrumpeter wrote:
The reason why that word is smaller...
Which word? Regardless, I really don't see how the size or length or number of letters in a word have anything to do with it.

THers, I apologize for taking your time and the sites' space for a something personal and have edited this post accordingly. But my remaining statements and questions on this particular post still stand.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=148173&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: