• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Short Ride in a Fast Machine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone out there played this? my youth symphony is playing this in the upcoming season ( along w/pictures, mahlers 1st, and gerswhins piano concerto in F ) i got the recording, and it sounds CRAZY HARD! anyone have any comments?

-scott cook
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only: "Man, I wish I was in your youth symphony!!!!!" have fun now.

Thats a heck of a concert...

Stuart
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the wind band version (top E's in the first cornet part). It's a fantastic piece, great trumpet soli at the end. Getting the rhythms down is the hardest bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you count and maybe (if you're playing first) try to use a Eb trumpet.

Rich
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have neither played this piece or heard it, but it sounds like one of those pieces that would be very fun.... anyone have a recording they would like to share?
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piece is incredibly cool, but it is by no means John Adams' best piece, in my opinion. If you want a good recording of it with some other good John Adams music, there's a recording called "Harmonielehre" that has Harmonielehre I, II, III; The Chariman Dances, Tromba Lontana and Short Ride in a Fast Machine. Tromba Lontana is a "companion" piece to Short Ride. It was composed around the same time and it features two trumpets. Played together, they're "Two Fanfares for Orchestra."
Have fun with this! Check out Adams' other stuff if you haven't already!
John

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-07-13 03:02 ]
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard it... anyone know where I can get a recording?
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's a great recording of San Francisco doing it. Look on Amazon they should have it. Short Ride is one of his better "whiz bang" pieces, most of his other stuff is quite cryptic. Another great Adams piece is "The Wound Dresser". It's scored for chamber orchestra, solo trumpet and solo baritone voice. The lyrics are from Walt Whitman's poem "The Wound Dresser". Powerful stuff and a pain to play. It has a long piccolo trumet "obligato" section in the middle. I played it my senior year. There's a great recording of Chris Gekker playing it. FWIW, I always check Amazon for anything I might be looking for.

Rich
Clarion Wind
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it a couple years ago. High C's number in the hundreds even in the second trumpet parts.(I'm not kidding) High E's in the 1st trumpet part follow playing at least 50-100 high C's. All I gotta say, is good luck.......
jazzsolotrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded Short Ride in a Fast Machine off of Kazaa, and whoa its an awesome piece. Sounds like it would he hell to play. I would love to play this piece next year, there is a slim-to-none chance that its gonna happen.

Thanks for giving me about 4 mins and 19 secs of enjoyment. Thats not counting all the times Im gonna replay it.

Best regards.

-Matt
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hartt Symphony Orchestra performed that last semester. John Adams is an incredible composer and (from what I've heard from my professor) a really good, down-to-earth man. "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" is my favorite minimalist piece. The principle trumpeter last semester used a piccolo on the part...the only issue was tuning the blasted thing. Complex rhythms to hand to a youth symphony, but if the bunch can handle it, kudos to them!

There's one other piece I believe Adam's recently received the Nobel Peace Prize for...a piece commemerated to 9/11. Can't pull the name off the tip of my tongue, but what a piece. Does anyone know it?

Matt
MA Music Therapy & Counseling
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our director knows what hes getting us into. i dont want to brag but our trumpet section is very capable of playing this piece and the others programmed. last year we played mahlers 5th, an american in paris, and the pines of rome, including john williams star wars suite as an encore. hahah after that year we are in shape for this upcoming season.
-scott cook
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-12 22:00, shinytrumpet wrote:
The Hartt Symphony Orchestra performed that last semester. John Adams is an incredible composer and (from what I've heard from my professor) a really good, down-to-earth man. "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" is my favorite minimalist piece. The principle trumpeter last semester used a piccolo on the part...the only issue was tuning the blasted thing. Complex rhythms to hand to a youth symphony, but if the bunch can handle it, kudos to them!

There's one other piece I believe Adam's recently received the Nobel Peace Prize for...a piece commemerated to 9/11. Can't pull the name off the tip of my tongue, but what a piece. Does anyone know it?

Matt

Matt,
That piece is "On the Transmigration of Souls." Adams won the Pulitzer Prize for it, actually, and not the Nobel Prize. I heard some of it on NPR a few months ago. Amazingly unique stuff. I saw a TV program (I watched it about 5 times, actually) about John Adams in June.

I think one of the coolest/most frustrating points about Adams' composition style is that it can't really be emulated by someone else without risking being accused of having no compositional artistic integrity. It's all him, I think. He invented his own take on minimalism and has really run with it. I think artistically, he's as ahead of the game as anyone out there.

If you ever get the chance to hear him speak somehow, it's cool (do a search at http://www.npr.org--there is at least one archived interview with excerpts from 'Transmigration' on streaming audio) His language is very careful; adroit and devoid of "uhm"s and "uh"s and every single word is very thoughtfully chosen.

He enjoys his privacy. He has a cabin in rural California (I believe) where he does his composing. Apparently he'll spend weeks or months at a time there working on compositions.

John

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-07-13 07:31 ]
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way...I've never performed this piece (I read it once), but I know a few people who have (I saw them perform it in college). I specifically asked one how he played first part on it. I know he played it with another player (as in, neither played the whole thing), and I believe they used E-flats. He said he relied on the strings to take up a lot of the slack. Apparently much of the first part (not the soli section near the end, though) is unison with the first violins and other parts, so they played it at the most comfortable, natural volume they could pretty much throughout. I think the strategy was to play just loudly enough to add trumpet texture, but to allow the violins to provide the volume. I guess you could say something like, "if you know another instrument is playing your part, don't fight them to be heard. Let them do the work." They, of course, played out in the soli section and where the dynamics called for it. If you listen to the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra recording of it, it sounds like they did something similar. On the other hand, the San Francisco recording is a little heavier in the brass sound.
John

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-07-13 03:33 ]
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Clarion Wind
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the composition in THEORY. It is good music, but is not well written if you know what I mean. Like I said I have played Short Ride, and the trumpet parts are insane, well beyond the scope of even many professional players to play with any sort of artistry. I agree with whoever mentioned that these minimalist and other contemporary composers are have gotten quite ridiculous about their physical demands upon the wind player, trumpet and otherwise, for many years now. The composers themselves either do it out of ignorance of the instrument's abilities, or blatantly ignoring what they very well know is utterly stupid to write. I have heard the line from the composers that they are "only interested in sound, and pure music, they write to the music not the musician" which is a line of bull#$% as far as I'm concerned. Other great composers through history have pushed the musical edge of sound without getting carried away, and I think many of these modern composers are either lazy, ignorant, arrogant, or irresponsible when they write this stuff. Like I said, I like Short Ride in A Fast Machine, but John Adams was one of thee above when he wrote trumpet parts like that. I've heard several professional orchestra recordings where major name trumpet players simply fuzz out on the last third of the piece.
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, John. I don't know what I was thinking with the Nobel Peace Prize...

I do also believe that the orchestra that premiered it was the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra playing it at some outdoor grandstand.

It's a pain to keep those high c's rollin' but I believe the most meticulous part is the rhythm. I've always been taught that if the rhythm is wrong, then the notes are, considering the placement in time is off. And that's the beauty of the piece: trying to keep space and time on what's written on that ridiculous sheet of paper.

~Matt
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
Actually, "On the Transmigration of Souls" was commissioned for and premeired by the NYPO and a couple choirs about a week after the anniversary of the Sept. 11 events. I recommend that anyone who is interested in new music visit http://www.npr.org and search for John Adams. There's a really good streaming Real Audio interview on the archives of "Performance Today."

I'm just curious, Mr. Clean and anyone else who's played more of this technically brutal stuff, but what other pieces would you consider to be in the same ranks as SRiaFM? As it sounds, it seems that you'd rather just leave alone anything by John Adams. I'll admit that I haven't heard absolutely all of Adams' works, but I believe I've heard all of his big orchestral works and SRiaFM seems to be a bit of an anomaly. What is it about his notation that makes it such a bear to follow?
John

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-07-13 19:11 ]
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last semester I played a wind ensemble piece by Schwantner called "And the Mountains Rise Nowhere"...He designed it for the Eastman Wind Ensemble back in the 1970's. That is one beast of a trumpet part, especially the first. It required wine glasses filled to certain amounts to be played by clarinet players as well as percussionists. A oil drum was filled with water to add effects in the percussion. I even got to whistle like a maniac and sing strange patterns. The meter changes were rotten to the mind and teeth grinding to look at. Actually, there were really no meter patterns, just a pulse of eighth notes (8, 7, 4, 9, 13, 2, beats...eighth getting constant pulse) that I had to follow and hope that the conductor execute them, which he did with grace!

Next to the Schwantner piece IMO is Maslanka's "Child's Garden of Dreams" and Gunther Schuller's "Symphony for Brass and Percussion," I'd say those are comparable, especially with Maslanka providing a very dark and twisted story that went along with the music. Maybe these are not minimalist (borderline atonal for Schuller), but certainly a treat (haha, right) to play. Sounded good though once I conquered my fear in playing those types of pieces. And although I could bash on it's ludicruous technicalities to perfect the piece (as well as what the hell the composer was thinking when he wrote it), I practiced it to the ground, and the performances I thoroughly enjoyed!

~Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: