• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buddy Ebsen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Buddy was not a brass player.

Buddy passed away yesterday at the age of 94! When I saw his picture and the caption at the bottom of the TV screen: Buddy Ebsen 1908-2003 Doc flashed through my mind. Doc was born the same year as Buddy, and wishful thinking had me wondering how many more times I could have seen him , and how much better a brass player I might be had Doc lived to be 94.

Chris
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I hit an all time low with this one?????????????????

Ya'll come back now ya hear.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel badly, Chris. In the summer months there's a tendency for participation on public e-bulletin boards to drop off, as teachers and students are off from school and many people take vacations. In a forum as specialized in this one it's not surprising that people post infrequently anyway.

Which is why it's so important for us to keep this going, to make sure that all this specialized information becomes more generalized. One thing I recently did was take the article on the Pivot System I just wrote (thanks for all your help proofing it, guys!) and submitted it to the Online Trombone Journal's peer review committee. I'll let you all know if/when it gets posted publically. If you wish to read it ahead of time, email me and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Dave W.
Docpivot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Your post hit a nerve when I read it today at work.

“Youth is wasted on the young, ” (George Bernard Shaw I think). I often think of that quote when I think about the years I studied with Doc. At the time, I was just a dumb ass kid with a lot of chop problems. I didn’t ask Doc nearly as many questions as I should have and over the years there have been a number of times when I’ve had one of those “so that’s what he meant” moments. There are tons of nuances to how the tenants of the pivot system apply to each individual. Doc would begin most lessons by asking if I had any questions and I regret not tapping into Doc’s years of experience.

Mike
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mike !!!

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I just turned 40, but I had my first lesson with Doc when I was just 15! I was just a wiseass kid, had I known the greatness that I was in the presence of I'm sure I would have asked more questions, and paid more attention to EVERYTHING he said.

You struck a nerve in ME !!!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: