• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rare large bore King

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Rare large bore King Reply with quote

Do any of you know anything about an early 80s .468" King Series 2000 trumpet? Perhaps model 007?

I met a guy who plays one. It was a very nice playing trumpet.

Thanks,
Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before King was bought out, they switched from the Silver Flair to the 2000 series trumpets. I think the 2000 was the new Silver Flair, the 2000T was lightweight, 2006 was a symphonic model, 2007 was the .468 horn, and the 2008 was a C trumpet.

They have nickel plated valves and nickel slides, one piece bells, Bach style 3rd valve slide dump action, 1st and 3rd valve rings, and were very nice instruments. They were only produced for a few years and aren't well known.

I have a King 2008 C trumpet which is a .462 bore and plays quite well. It does have a non-original Osmun 43 reversed leadpipe, which isn't stock. if you can find one of these 2000 series King trumpets, they often go for well under $500. Nice value trumpet.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Rare large bore King Reply with quote

Hello,I will do this in several posts. Or the topic will be to long or get timed out.

I would like to post the whole King Ad. Bought it off e-Bay. So here goes.

The Ad reads; The New King Flair Trumpet

Working constantly to improve all aspects of instrument making,King design engineers developed a process of tempering brass to specific,predetermined degrees of softness.

As a result of this tempering process,authorized King Dealers are now offering trumpets uniquely consistent in sound and response.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Rare large bore King Reply with quote

King Flair Trumpet ad info. continued.

For a large,bright sound with good projection and controlled response,your King dealer can help you choose between the 2000AT,medium large bore,or the 2001AT,large bore King Flair Trumpets,both in Bb.

Two other King Flair Trumpets now at your King dealer's in Bb- the 2006AT medium large plus bore and the 2007AT large bore and, in C, the 2008 medium large plus bore - are designed to produce a large,solid symphonic sound with excellent carrying ability.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Rare large bore King Reply with quote

These were the last Pro grade series Trumpets made by King KMI Company. The later King UMI/Conn Selmer King 2055T King Silver Flair/2065T Golden Flair were considered intermediate grade Trumpets.

From the info stats from my older King KMI Trumpet/Cornet Catalogs. These 2000 series King KMI Trumpets were maybe upgraded King Super-20/Symphony Trumpets. The 2000AT in a .459 bore and 2001AT in a .468 bore with 4 3/4 inch bells. The Symphony models with the 4 7/8 inch bells. The 2006AT in .462 bore and the 2007AT in a .468 bore. With the C 2008AT in a .462 bore with the 4 7/8 inch Bell.

These horns were all in Silver plate. Had all the older Pro King features with modern extras.

Bell sizes and Bell tapers maybe same way, they did the Super-20's and the older King Symphony's. Probably none were step or DB either. Unless medium large plus bore means a Step or Dual bore. King had dropped the .448 bore,was only using a .459 bore/462 bore and .468 bore bores around the late 1970's etc.

That would be a nice E-Bay find. King KMI Catalog on all the 2000 series King horns. With all the new stats.

Can only wonder if King used the same older lead pipes or the new improved 1055T King Silver Flair leadpipe on all of them. Or new lead pipe designs for each model horn.

Maybe some day one of the retired King Craftsman can let us all know.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember well the King pro 2000 Series trumpets which hit the market in the fall of 1980. These horns were a new concept for King with all models having the same appearance and shared parts (like Bach did) rather than distinctive styling for each different model (e.g. Super-20 Symphony vs. Silver flair vs. Liberty, etc.) There was no similarity between the 2000 Series trumpets and the Super-20 Symphony but the clean design of the 1055T Silver Flair could be seen somewhat in the 2000 trumpets.

The first 2000 trumpets in 1980 were relatively lightweight like the 1055T Silver Flair, however, within a couple of years the instruments were made heavier by means of thicker gauge outer slide tubing for more core to the sound. All had one-piece bells. None of these instruments had Silver flair or Flair inscribed on them anywhere. They were referred to only as the 2000 Series professional trumpets and they had the King emblem and the model number (2000, 2001, 2003, etc.) stamped along the side of the bell.

After Dan Henkin sold King Musical Instruments to UMI, the design changed to a two-piece bell and it became the 2055T Silver Flair. The name SILVER FLAIR was stamped along the side of the bell in block letters. This model had a very different fell and blow from the original 1055T Silver Flair.

The 2000 Series was the last pro trumpet line offered by King Musical Instruments. It's a shame that a great musical instrument manufacturer was destroyed by its later owners as King was.

Pictures of a King 2000:
http://cgi.ebay.ph/King-Trumpet-King-2000-Silver-Plate-/260759007238
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Rare large bore King Reply with quote

Plankowner110,thank you for your input. That should clear up a lot of my misconceptions.
Reckon,I will stick with my H.N. White King horns and the King KMI Horns up to 1978.

I still have my 1970 King KMI 1055T Silver Flair. Would liked to have hung onto my 1975 King KMI Golden Flair. We win some and lose some. Just life. Now just need to practice more.

When I don't do enough of that. No horn,Pro or Student can help me play well. Thanks also for that E-bay pic. A picture is worth a thousand words.
23y

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: King Model 2000 Trumpet Reply with quote

If anyone has an interest in one of these trumpets, I just noticed one for sale at Dillon Music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: