• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vienna Phil. Instruments

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Mahler wrote I don't remeber wich symphonies wich were premiered by der Wiener Philharmoniker, he had the sound of the piston valved trumpet in mind, they (Wienna) played them at the time.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Trompeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vienna Phil. Instruments Reply with quote

gringoloco wrote:
What about the [...] trombones? There were a bunch of Thayer valves in the last video I saw.

Vienna Trombone section, one big mixture:

Ian Bousfield (principal trombone) about the Vienna Brass:

Link

Link
Cornetto
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
When Mahler wrote I don't remeber wich symphonies wich were premiered by der Wiener Philharmoniker, he had the sound of the piston valved trumpet in mind, they (Wienna) played them at the time.

The only one of Mahler's symphonies to have been premiered by the Vienna Philharmonic was the Ninth, and that was a year after Mahler's death. Mahler actually went to great lengths to avoid premiering his symphonies in Vienna -- the Fifth was premiered in Cologne, and the Seventh in Prague -- so I don't think we should be so quick to ascribe Mahler's ideal trumpet sound to the Philharmoniker.
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that we can watch LIVE and archived the Vienna Phil playing Strauss's Alpine Symphony Monday August 8 at 3pm ET, 21 hours Central European Time
I think it will be archived if you miss it.
Monday Aug. 8 at 21h Central European, 3pm ET

http://tinyurl.com/3zb93jm
Trompeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vienna Phil. Instruments Reply with quote

Trompeter wrote:
gringoloco wrote:
What about the [...] trombones? There were a bunch of Thayer valves in the last video I saw.

Vienna Trombone section, one big mixture:

... watch "Eine Alpensinfonie" with Thielemann.

Various trombone models, and Lechner trumpets. The typical Vienna trumpet sound (very clear and bright at higher dynamics):

Link
gringoloco
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the conversation y'all. Very informative. Great video too!
poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget the oboes and tympani as well. When I played at their hall I also noticed a complete matching set of basses on a rack as well. It is one of the most glorious halls to play and or listen in.
jwtptboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that VPO used to play pistons trumpets back in the early XXth century!!!! I think it was Brass Bulletin...

In Edward Tarr's book "The Trumpet" he writes about this... "In Austria, especially in the Vienna Philharmonic, the change [from the long G or F to the short B-flat trumpet] appears to have taken place somewhat later, around 1880-1885. Interestingly, at the beginning of the twentieth century, the trumpeters of the Vienna Philharmonic did not play on the B-flat or C trumpet with rotary valves customary today, but rather on the C trumpet with piston valves by F. Besson (Paris). The beginnings of the much lauded traditional sound of the Viennese trumpeters are thus found later, probably in the thirties."
largo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this video from 1932, E. Kleiber in Berlin. Camera close up at the end reveals the trumpet player playing a Bb piston - could be a Besson. Very interesting!
http://youtu.be/PiF5glYvfcw
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAKeele wrote:
The last time I talked to Jeremy [Wilson] about this (not all that long ago) he said Lechners. The trombone section is a bit all over the place. He still plays his Edwards from his UT days. I'm from Middle Tennessee and played with Jeremy a lot of honor bands and such, so what I say is not second or eighth hand. Are for the principal guys, they use Yamaha and Lechner trombones, and the bass guys use either Edwards or Greenhoe-modified Conns. The tuba guys are on a bit of a journey right now, searching for the instruments they like, so it seems like they switch about every month or two. Jeremy has also used a Lechner bass trumpet prototype they've developed for the orchestra (actually several). We didn't talk about the horn section, but I know they are a mixed section.

But like with any brass player, things change and you experiment with equipment. I'm sure at some point Schagerl, as well as other makers, will slowly make it onto the scene.

I was researching Lechner trumpets and came across this old gem. I figured for the sake of this thread, I'd update that indeed, Wien made the switch to Schagerl, like many others have.
Handguard once believed to be used by Arban
$10,000 Stoneline mute bought on eBay
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this back! I missed a lot of the follow up posts. And thanks for the update. Interesting how quickly instrument brands wax and wane in popularity these days.
— Joe
Wolfgang Winkler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schagerl and the other brands made their way into the other viennese orchestras over the years. But I think the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra trumpet section is still using Lechner's almoust exclusively. At least for broadcasted concerts.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of them seems to be back on Lecners...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: