• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haydn - Single or double tongue?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played this concerto 8 times in the past year, I consider myself to be a young professional, Amongst my performances of this piece, 1 was my debut in Carnegie Hall, another with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra... I can say that from playing in these venues, with knowledgable musicians, The accepted Slur 2 Tounge 2 is just that, accepted, as well as double tounging, single tounging, ect..... The important matter is that the performance is as close to what Haydn intended, not Joe Schmoe Principal of the Terible Clef Philharmonia has to say.... Your interpretation is important but you can only paint with the colors Haydn has to offer... Otherwise you will make millions of dollars by producing the Haydn Remix... Seemingly the more American recordings I hear, the slur 2 tounge 2 is used... with other foreign recordings, the single/double tounge is used.... I prefer the Slur/Tounge method... Sounds more appealing --

Indiana University, Studio of J. Rommel

Bach 1 1/4 C mpc
Bach 37 Bb
Bach 239 C
Yamaha 9610 Eb/D
Scherzer Bb/A Picc - 3d mpc
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I single tongue without slurs, but I strive to make each sixteenth note as tenuto as possible. That's where the single tongue advantage comes in, because the tendency with double tongue is towards staccato. That tendency can be overcome, but it takes work.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have exactly the opposite tendency -- my double tongue is longer than my single tongue at that tempo. Which is why I double tongue it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: