• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools in the South

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-23 11:15, AverageJoe wrote:
Hey, John -- I guess I'll never get the chance to know about fleet vs. DC, will I? (little inside joke between the two of us).

Yup, last time I checked, Mintzer was still at ECU!

When were you at Western? I finished at UNC-G in '96. One of my good friends was at Western in the early/mid '80's. You must have started there very soon after Ullrich began teaching there. I checked them out to see if they had a doctoral program awhile back, but no such luck. Ullrich was a great guy to talk to.

Take care,

Paul Poovey

Hey Paul,

Yeah man, that really sucks. You finished at UNCG the same year I finished at Brevard with my BA. I remember why I didn't go to WCU now, Ulrich was one of my judges at NC All-State my seinor year in HS and just ripped me to shreds! I had a huge ego (like many h-s tpt players do) and he saw that and just tore me apart.

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
ii-V-I

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a junior jazz performance major at UNCG. If you are looking to really get your technique down, i would highly reccomend Dr. Edward Bach. I assure you that nobody in this state plays quite like him. But as before mentioned he does push you quite hard! As far as the jazz program, check out our cd's, they speak for themselves.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was looking at leaving Brevard College (it was only a 2 year school then) I went to UNCG and took a lesson with Ed Bach. While he can sure play his pants off, I didn't want to go there and study with him because of one comment he made to me. I respond well to the "kick you in the pants" style of teaching so it had nothing to do with a bad comment. He simply said, "I'm not an orchestral player, but I can match the sound if I have to." At the time, my previous teacher at Brevard was (used to be) a heavy orchestral player and I was being taught the style and the sound. I didn't want to study with someone who didn't play that way all the time. I ended up going to the U of Southern Maine and studied with another full time orchestral player.

As I look back on those days, it really didn't matter that I studied with or didn't study with an orchestral player because now, I'm just a player. I haven't sat in an orchestra in about 3 years and I don't really miss it. Now I just play what's put in front of me, whether that be a brass quintet tune, a big band chart or concert band tune. I think Ed Bach could have prepared me for what I do as much as anyone else, and I probably could have saved my folks some money by staying in state.

John

edited to correct spelling

John P. Gulyas, MU2, USN
US Navy Band Southeast
NAS Jax, Florida
jgulyas@yahoo.com

[ This Message was edited by: JGulyas on 2003-08-03 14:22 ]
senea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in Louisiana and although we have huge trumpet studios down here, a good bit of them have one strong player, a few good ones, and then twenty other people in the studio. I'm not saying that people suck down here, it's just that the priorities are different (think football, Carnival season, Jazz fest, hell there's something naughty going on every weekend from August to May!).

I should also mention that the playing opportunities here out number the performers. We have a lot of churches to hire out musicians for the holiday season. A few of them even hire orchestras every weekend but we don't have enough strong players to go around, so they are starting to put anyone who's ever played before in those spots.

And for some reason brides down here love the trumpet. A few of these guys are making around $30K a year just on weddings, and with the cost of living so low, that's a pretty good part-time job!

But there's a price to pay - crime, disease, poverty, poor education, and complete isolation from everyone else. I personally hate it here, and I look forward to leaving in June. It's too hard to do anything with yourself and it's very easy to let yourself get trapped by all the 'perks'. If you want to have a good time in college, come on down, but if you want to be successful, go anywhere else.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For jazz, don't forget the University of North Texas, in Denton (was UNT). One of the best programs around in classical also.
PhotoStan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is if performance degree is what you are looking for or education. If you want to do performance I would look to a conservatory. I went to ECU and we had Tom Goolsby there as my teacher. Many of my friends went on to play in military and professionally, but the majority were education.

I am not sure if North Texas is as good as they used to be, does anyone know about there program these days?
njp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Theurer at East Carolina University has been doing great! His regularly takes groups of students to the National Trumpet Competition for Solo, Ensemble, and Jazz categories. Last year, one of the students placed 3rd in the College Division! Many of his students have gone on to teach at major universities and some are even performing with international Orchestras. It's definitely worth the call just to see what options ECU can give you.
NavyJazzTpt2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that ECU is a great place to go. I went there (in and out of school for 9 years due to gigs) and earned my Jazz Performance Degree. I am a trumpet player with Navy Band New Orleans and a member of the UNO Louis Armstrong Jazz Quintet. I make a good living playing with the Navy, being a grauduate student, and freelancing. I know many trumpet players and other musicians who are playing proffessionally on the highest levels and teaching on the collegiate level. Some are in premier bands, others are in orchestras, freelancing, and teaching college. A lot of good players come out of the school. Take your time, but remember where ever you go....... it is up to you to make the college exeperience benificial. You can definetly party there at ECU, but in truth no matter where you go...... it is YOUR hard work that will pay off in the end. Look for a good teacher and good resources. ECU has that covered. Good Luck! Later, Matt Leder
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO UNT is the best it has ever been, in both jazz and in general.

Senea, when are you moving to Indiana?
orchestraltrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm glad to see these NC schools getting such praise. I just graduated from UNCG with Ed Bach, and am now working on a Masters a ECU with Britt Theurer. I'd say that the Jazz program at UNCG is quite good now. UNCG has lots of DMA, MM students which seem to raise the bar on the whole school. But ECU only has a small handful of MM students, and no DMA degrees offered. So I'm getting much more attention at ECU, but I think the school overall seems a little smaller than UNCG. Both trumpet teachers have very high track records, each putting out big name players. But their teaching styles are quite a bit different, so I would recommend that be a major factor in your choice.

Scott

stm0103@mail.ecu.edu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: