• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sometimes a note comes out, sometimes a note doesn't?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afehler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Sometimes a note comes out, sometimes a note doesn't? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask a question about this. I've only been playing the trumpet for about a year now. Tomorrow is my band's placement test and quite frankly, I'm a bit nervous. Up until now my tone has been alright, not great but not awful, but lately (since about the past five practices) my trumpet's gone awry. I can play up to a high B only but I can only get to a high G (last space on the staff) at a stable level. I know that I can play those notes because I have. The notes used to come out easily. But for the past five practices, I've noticed that I'll play a song and this note here won't come out -- just air. It's not that particular note either because I'll be able to play it the next measure but not the next note. It's just a load of air. If anything, I feel like that began ever since I oiled my valves. I noticed that the old valve oil that I used was... gross. It had floaties in it so I chucked it away but I'm wondering if the oil could be causing problems? I've checked to make sure I have the right corresponding valves in their places and I've turned the tops to make sure they're aligned.

Please help! Thank you so much.

-D
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have access to another trumpet to try, to eliminate equipment issues?

ruling that out, it will likely be temporary stiffness that will go away shortly.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play high, think low. Same advice for vocalists as for brass players.

My guess it that your throat is getting closed off due to concentration & nervous energy. Or you may benefit from thinking ..eee.. and raising the mid part of your tongue a bit for the higher notes.

Welcome & good luck.
afehler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for both your responses!

jetjaguar: Unfortunately, no. I hope this problem will go away quickly!
connicalman: That could actually very much be it. Sometimes when I play, my throat hurts. It's not the scratchy sort of pain but a feeling like it's blocked. Thank you for the idea!
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's the last time you cleaned your horn?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is right..snake out the leadpipe and your tuning slide. Check your water keys and make sure the cork is still in place and sealing the air.

Do you have a teacher who can play your horn and make sure the valves are in place and seated properly and that the horn is ok?

You will get there. Sounds like you are on your way!

Last edited by Nos Mo King on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done that.

1. You may have worn your chops down / playing too much in prep. for this band thing. Take a full day off and rest your chops.

2. Clean your horn.

3. When horn's dry, trickle some valve oil down your lead pipe and blow some scales - blow the oil through the tubes then expell remainder.

Practice some high notes playing very softly. Don't over-practice high notes. Play them until you first notice it cliping and stop, rest on move on to other exercises. Also, try alternating from practicing a few high notes, rest, then play some lower register notes.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
afehler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars/Tom: I did a full thorough clean down of my trumpet about a month ago. How regularly should I clean it? And by cleaning, I soaked it in lukewarm water for a bit and ran the cleaning snake through the pipes, cleaned out the inside of the valves, and cleaned my mouthpiece.

Nos Mo King: I cleaned out the tuning slide and leadpipe but I still sound like pure air on some notes. I don't take private lessons or anything but perhaps I'll ask my band teacher tomorrow.

HornnOOb: I think your first suggestion could be possible. I didn't practice for the past two days though because my instrument was at school but I do feel that my lips get weak/air goes out through my lips out my horn.

Also, I noticed that I play my trumpet off-center of my lips. I place them on the right side of my lips when I play. I tried playing in the center but my tone and range gets much worse. Is it alright to play off-center or should I work on centering it?

Thank you everyone for all your responses!!
Trptca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you really need to get a private teacher for a few lessons. Your trial and error approach is a great tactic but it can take FOREVER sometimes to make things work. Much better to plunk down 50$ and get the answers you need today (hopefully) as opposed to practicing for 2 months to get the same answer.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afehler wrote:
VetPsychWars/Tom: I did a full thorough clean down of my trumpet about a month ago. How regularly should I clean it? And by cleaning, I soaked it in lukewarm water for a bit and ran the cleaning snake through the pipes, cleaned out the inside of the valves, and cleaned my mouthpiece.

Once a week is probably a good idea at this point.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just take the tuning slide out and look down the leadpipe. It should be circular, not a Rorschack ink blot.
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your slide out and cover one end with your finger. Then blow on the other end (or suck if the slide is clean). You should have a tight seal with no air leaking out the slide.

If you have a water key on your 3rd slide do the same experiment.

If you have air leaking you will need to find the leak and correct the problem. Likely the leak is at the spit valve.

If no leak then you just need some time to let the lip learn to respond to the air. Patience...it will happen.

good luck with your auditions.

rc

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, afehler.

Remember that we haven't watched you play, so none of us really know for sure what's causing your problems. If you can hook up with a private teacher, that's usually the best way to go.

afehler wrote:
Also, I noticed that I play my trumpet off-center of my lips. I place them on the right side of my lips when I play. I tried playing in the center but my tone and range gets much worse. Is it alright to play off-center or should I work on centering it?

Playing off center is perfectly fine. Don't worry about where you place the mouthpiece as long as it works best there for you. We all have different anatomy and therefore a different mouthpiece placement. Once you find a placement that works best for you, then try to stick with that placement and learn to play your whole range without resetting.

It doesn't seem as if your issues are caused by your equipment at all. If your playing is inconsistent, then maybe you're technique is inconsistent too. Check your posture, hold the trumpet consistently correctly, place the mouthpiece on the same spot on your lips consistently, etc. There are so many different things that can cause similar situations to yours, I'm afraid I can't offer anything more specific without watching you play.

If your band director is a brass player, then he or she might be able to help you out. Or at least, your band director should be able to recommend a teacher in your area. Even a one-shot lesson might be productive for you at this point.

Good luck!

Dave
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afehler....

How did the placements go?

All the best,

rc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: