• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NYC Housing (Slightly off topic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomdug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: NYC Housing (Slightly off topic) Reply with quote

My daughter will be attending Juilliard in the Fall (MM Viola) and we are trying to figure out housing. (We live in Arizona.)

She will have a roommate who will be attending NYU. We are looking for a two bedroom in the $2,000 to $2,500 range. Ideally the apartment would not be too far for either of them. It would be great if she could go back and forth if need be. Our daughter would prefer Manhattan, but is open to other options.

I have been combing every online resource I can find, including Craigslist, Urban Sherpa, NYBits, and a bunch of real estate sites. I have found more than a few places in Manhattan that seem to meet at least the basics in our price range.

I've also spoken with two brokers. One said we should have no problem and the other one said there are no two bedroom apartments in Manhattan for what we're able to pay. I realize it's possible, maybe even probable, that some of the apartments I've found online are not legit. But they can't all be scams. (can they?)

Brokers charge a lot of money --$3K-$5K! -- so if we could do it without one, that would be great.

She's at Music Academy until mid-August. My wife and I are planning to go to NYC to find a place in mid-July.

Anyone been down this road before?

For those in the know, could you tell me:

Where should we be looking?

How long is the commute from Brooklyn or Queens? (I know there are a lot of variables with this one)

What would the commute from NJ be like?

Is there any place in Manhattan that we should avoid? (Either for safety or commute difficulties?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long is the commute from Brooklyn or Queens? (I know there are a lot of variables with this one)
It depends how close she would be living to a subway line and how far away that her apartment is from Manhattan. Look at NYC subway maps. They're available online.

Quote:

What would the commute from NJ be like?
Essentially the same answer as above. The closer she is to public transportation and the closer her apartment is to Manhattan, the more pleasant it is.

Quote:
Is there any place in Manhattan that we should avoid? (Either for safety or commute difficulties?)
I would stay south of Columbia University.
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigslist all the way!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: NYC Housing (slightly off topic) Reply with quote

New Yorkers tolerate more travel time than most people, partly because housing in Manhattan can be so expensive. Subway is the most convenient way to get around and can take you from one end of Manhattan to the other in 30 minutes or less (ride the Express trains when possible). Also to Brooklyn and Queens in short order. You want to live close to public transit if possible. She should find out how many days a week she has to be at school because if she is traveling less than five days this may be an argument in favor of a more distant location. You can also access the PATH trains website which gives info about the trains to NJ locations. It has been so long since I lived in the NYC area that IDK whether the rates in Hoboken or Jersey City, etc. are more favorable than living in NYC proper. There is also Long Island and the railroad from there, which opens up a lot of real estate to consider. LIRR to Penn Station and subway from there to Lincoln Center.

I would think that Juilliard should have some advice for students or at least be able to hook you up with some current students who went through this, so that you can get some info from someone on the ground there with similar interests. Living in Manhattan can be great, but every apartment I have seen there is tiny, you could hardly turn around in the kitchen and it was the size of a closet.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
TrumpetJoel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.padmapper.com is a pretty cool resource; might be a touch overwhelming for the NYC area though. Worth checking out!
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for places south of Columbia, you will probably not spend less than $1,800 a month for a two bedroom. And most likely, you will have to pay a brokers fee unless the building owners will cover it. Living North of Columbia isn't so bad if you know exactly which blocks you will be near. Be aware most Craigslist ads are sketchy, but I know many people who have found places on there. A couple of websites that may help you:

http://www.qualityliving.com/
http://www.nymetrore.com/
http://www.ccrny.com/

AND: DO NOT EVER RENT FROM VANTAGE MANAGEMENT!

Seriously, don't. Make sure your building owners don't suck.

"Do not be afraid to copy someones style, it is through this process that we begin to develop our own."~Phil Smith, New York Philharmonic principal trumpet
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is stupid question, but what about dormitories? Even at inflated college prices, that's bound to be cheaper than $2000/month.
dizzyizzy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I used to live/work up there for about a decade. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION is the ONLY way to go, and that "essentially" covers the ENTIRE area. Manhattan is the "most expensive". ALL sections of NYC have their "good" and "bad" areas and they can be the "next block over" from one another. "Close-in" Brooklyn is everyone (outside of Manhattan's) favorite...but you can safely expand your area. The trains run regularly "north" from Grand Central (mid-town/Julliard) to "suburb" communites like New Rochelle or even White Plains...still less than an hour. (For example, I used to live WAY UP past Bridgeport CT...1 1/2hr (90mi)...it still beat my old DC commute AND I was relaxing on a train....but that's TOO FAR for student purposes).

Be sure to include the Jersey side of the Hudson, usually a "bit cheaper", closer to the Newark airport (much better than LaGuardia & JFK), hotels cheaper for parents. There is regular & continuous subway, bus and PATH train to the Jersey side...all of which comes right into mid-town (again, Julliard's neighborhood).

NO ONE owns a car (WAY to expensive to garage/use). Public Transportation is the ONLY way to go...train, bus, cab, subway and you can get just about anywhere in the entire "urban" area in less than an hour. My former agents used to live down the Jersey Shore, mid-NJ, and way out on Long Island & Staten Island, and no one took over an hour to commute to/from work...which always "beat" driving a car when we had to.

The rule is the further out from Manhattan (usually) the better the apt deal...(although there is no such thing as a "cheap" NYC area apt). But again...EVERY area has its good/bad.

Thank goodness a viola is carry-able. Just "hang on" to it...and learn to walk fast, looking straight ahead and making eye-contact with NO ONE...honestly, its the way things are done there. and don't go "exploring" off the main drags at all with the viola. Students are usually left-alone, as eveyone knows they're broke and have nothing, so learn to "look the part".

CONGRATS on getting into Julliard! enjoy it and the experience. NYC is a GREAT city to "do & see" things and "most" everyone is very friendly and helpful (surprisingly so to outsiders)...and the place is full of jazz clubs and other venues for music appreciation. Just go "in groups" when out late. NYPD cops are generally "your friends" and can be most helpful when asked nicely/politely. (they're almost always "locals").

Dizzyizzy
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Mase wrote:
Maybe this is stupid question, but what about dormitories? Even at inflated college prices, that's bound to be cheaper than $2000/month.

According to the school website, Julliard on-campus housing is not guaranteed after freshman year. That's a challenge for underclassmen so MM students are probably on their own. On campus housing is $13K/school year ($16K for a single) which is around $1400/month. With a roommate, the OP's housing budget is around $1000-1250/month.

If I had a son/daughter going to school in Manhattan, I'd definitely want them to live within walking distance to the subway system and avoid PATH, LIRR, or Metro North.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a New York transplant, and have lived here for three years. I live in Astoria, Queens, and absolutely love it. When I first moved out, I lived in Washington Heights, which was livable, but inconvenient.

The problem you're going to have with finding apartment space is that Julliard is located right on the 1-2-3 line (66th Street), which runs up and down the West Side, and NYU is much closer to the N-R-Q and 4-5-6 lines on the East Side. So somebody's going to have to transfer somewhere.

Manhattan is insanely expensive. Many Columbia and MSM people live in Harlem and Washington Heights, which are still quite convenient for Julliard students, but will be a real pain for NYUers during crowded morning commutes.

I would personally look into Astoria in Queens. It's the furthest West in Queens, it's quiet and safe, and you can be at NYU in about 30 minutes with no transfers, and Julliard in about 40 with one transfer (N/Q to the 1 at 42nd Street). Considering they'll be college students, they will be grateful to have the morning train ride to do the reading they were supposed to be doing the night before. Commutes on trains are productive, commutes in cars are wasteful.

One final caveat: Queens isn't always as forgiving about in-apartment practicing as Manhattan, so that's one thing to clear with a landlord (the law is you're allowed to practice from 10A-10P, but that's not always cool...).

PM me if you have any other questions about specific neighborhoods, I'd be happy to help. Queens is decidedly not "hip," so your daughter will probably want to stay in the City or in Brooklyn, but unless you pay through the nose you sort of have to know the neighborhood.
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I would personally look into Astoria in Queens. It's the furthest West in Queens, it's quiet and safe, and you can be at NYU in about 30 minutes with no transfers, and Julliard in about 40 with one transfer (N/Q to the 1 at 42nd Street).

+1, please hold your calls, we have a winner. I know a few musicians who enjoy living in Astoria. It's one of the best and most diverse restaurant neighborhoods in NYC.
kanemania
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astoria's excellent. Williamsburg or Greenpoint or Park Slope in Brooklyn can be great, if there's anything available. But it can be a long commute.

Hoboken or Hackensack are a real quick commute across the river in Jersey.

Another thought: Look around Fordham in the Bronx, and on into Westchester. Even White Plains is only thirty minutes from Grand Central via Metro North.

Good luck. Bring your checkbook and be ready to pull the trigger. The good places go really fast.
Leon Phelps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!! What's happenin'?!? I've always found that hangin' out at the bus station is the best way for Leon to find housing in any location. You should try that....I know I would.
gdong
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but I would recommend using some kind of no-fee or low-fee agent service. I just used rapid-realty to score my place in Brooklyn for NO FEE. Everything I paid either went towards rent or to security (minus $60 credit check). Their deposits are also refundable (they will add it in pen to the deposit contract if you ask them to).

I spent way too much time being an internet zombie looking for a place. RapidNY agents compete with each-other and so in the end you get the better deal.

For Julliard, check out the upper west side, lots of good deals around the top of the park and higher. The upper east side is a good Killzone at the moment (below 96th) but she would have to take a cross town bus to the west side (an easy ride if you are by a cross street).

Let me know if you need any more pointers about the city or a specific area I would be happy to help out!

dganong@me.com

PS: im a grad student at NYU for jazz trumpet.
UMiami DMA '16
derekganong.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: