• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Martin CSO Radio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tollaus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of haters here....
This kind of comments make me lough.
Beautiful playing though!
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programming these two pieces on the same concert with all the other stuff Chris has to prepare for on a regular basis is more than 99.99% of the people writing here could even wrap their brains around, much less pull off. Not only did Chris pull it off, but he pulled it off for an entire weekend run -- FOUR DAYS IN A ROW.

So I gotta ask... How's the view from the cheap seats, bracciodiferro? Perhaps Chris Martin's playing just doesn't do it for you. There are plenty of world-class players who aren't at the top of my playlist too, but I respect them enough not to publicly criticize a performance of this quality over the volume of one note. Petty, weak and sad, dude...
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this concert live.

A couple of things...

1. I think Chris Martin is an absolutely STUNNING trumpet player...
2. His sound was absolutely electric. Far better than the recording. He was playing a Bach.
3. The Jolivet was immediately before intermission, the Tomasi afterward...so he had a good break between pieces.
4. I didn't think he sounded as comfortable on the Jolivet than the Tomasi. My opinion. He played the crap out of the Tomasi. His Jolivet was excellent...but not like the Tomasi.
5. The Tomasi is a better piece than the Jolivet. My opinion, of course.
6. Chris Martin is an incredible trumpet player, and this was by far the finest orchestral concert with trumpet concertos on it that I have ever heard.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Bob Loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braccio!

It looks like you'll soon be in need of my services. Why don't you get a maid's uniform, and come over to my house? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bob
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be awesome to be so good that when the trolls take a minute away from climbing their dung heap the only things they can criticize are how loud you played one note, and the recording quality! This was a Herculean feat, pulled off beautifully! Bravo, Chris!!!!

-nyctpt

p.s. beaultiful playing, Prof. Hickman! Even though this guy's an idiot, I'm glad he posted your video!
spacekillguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply astounding! thanks so much for posting, Mr.Martin has such a wonderful sound
Sublmbadfish
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80% of your posts are against Chris Martin...interesting.

Love this stuff...make sure you all check out last weeks broadcast as well, Lady McBeth arranged by Conlon.
Herm Aphrodite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCTPT wrote:
It must be awesome to be so good that when the trolls take a minute away from climbing their dung heap the only things they can criticize are how loud you played one note, and the recording quality! This was a Herculean feat, pulled off beautifully! Bravo, Chris!!!!

-nyctpt

p.s. beaultiful playing, Prof. Hickman! Even though this guy's an idiot, I'm glad he posted your video!

I concur with nyctpt. This is superb playing!!!

And, nyctpt has soooo much SOUL! If he likes it, it must be goooooood
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AverageJoe wrote:
Programming these two pieces on the same concert with all the other stuff Chris has to prepare for on a regular basis is more than 99.99% of the people writing here could even wrap their brains around, much less pull off. Not only did Chris pull it off, but he pulled it off for an entire weekend run -- FOUR DAYS IN A ROW.

So I gotta ask... How's the view from the cheap seats, bracciodiferro? Perhaps Chris Martin's playing just doesn't do it for you. There are plenty of world-class players who aren't at the top of my playlist too, but I respect them enough not to publicly criticize a performance of this quality over the volume of one note. Petty, weak and sad, dude...

You're way off base. The correct number would be 100.00%.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there for two of those 4 days and got seats real close to the front. Both performances were great.

now I've been training my wife on trumpet for over 35 years (which mouthpiece sounds better, etc.) and we've heard Andre multiple times, Phil Smith multiple times, etc. In other words she's heard a lot of trumpet. She wasn't impressed, but she's also not a fan of 20th century pieces. She liked the Tomasi more than Jolivet but she's heard that more since I've done it.

She said that he often looked like he was just barely hanging on to some notes based on that's how I look when I'm barely hanging on. The difference is that I sometimes am just barely hanging on. I want her to listen to the broadcast and just hear and not see.

My impression? That's sure how I'd like to sound playing those pieces! I'm not impressed doing those two pieces on one program... Most who do recitals can have programs with more demands. However I am VERY impressed with doing this on four consecutive days.

it was great playing...
fnchdrms87
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to TH bracciodiferro. Posters here are king of the "ad hominem" and "straw man" fallacies. Yes, musicians are quite sensitive.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aje,

Thanks for posting this link!

Chris,

What beautiful playing. I enjoyed every second. I wish that my Wife's family still lived in the Chicago area. I miss the trips to Orchestra Hall (Symphony Center).

Hope your tour went well (I enjoyed all the pictures from the CSO site).

Looks like John was there in plenty of time for the pre-concert Paris conga line.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
AverageJoe wrote:

You're way off base. The correct number would be 100.00%.

I stand corrected by someone I would've put in the .01%... FWIW, I think you're sandbaggin', Jim...
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loudog wrote:
I saw this concert live.

2. His sound was absolutely electric. Far better than the recording. He was playing a Bach.

Thanks Louie. He played both pieces on a Bach C?

I don't reallly like either the Tomasi or the Jolivet but they do take a lot of technique in order to play them well.

Too bad Strauss' dad wasn't a trumpet player.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
LouReed3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we going to really take this "bracciodiferro" person seriously? Do not respond to this nonsense. This person obviously wants some attention and is getting it.
Just enjoy the performance and learn from it. Get better. Share it with others. I am sick and tired of politics, unsolicited critiques, and negativity in music and TRUMPET forums. We as a community (music) cannot afford this nonsense. Ignore this FOOL!

By the way, good job Chris! I will now steal some of your stylistic interpretations and incorporate them in to my own. LOL!

Also, thanks to the person who provided the link. I have been wanting to hear this concert since May 2011.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Moon wrote:
loudog wrote:
I saw this concert live.

Thanks Louie. He played both pieces on a Bach C?

I don't reallly like either the Tomasi or the Jolivet but they do take a lot of technique in order to play them well.

Too bad Strauss' dad wasn't a trumpet player.

Yep, both were on a Bach C. I usually sit in the first balcony, right in the middle... (i have my favorite seats in that hall), but I sat on the floor for this one...I wanted to be pretty close so I could watch him play better. Definitely a Bach C.

Louie
Hastings College
JohnHagstrom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Martin played these solos on a Yamaha prototype C trumpet. From the audience it does look like a Bach, so it is understandable that it could be mistaken for a Bach by someone who knows in every detail what a Bach looks like.

I was a witness to all of the work Chris did from the moment he knew these solos were going to be programmed together, and it was really inspirational to watch. Jim Wilt and Paul Poovey are correct when they talk in this thread about how difficult it is for someone to truly conceive of the challenge of preparing something like this in parallel with the rest of the season's repertoire. It is easy to be an armchair quarterback, but not so easy to find a way to deliver what Chris did and does on a weekly basis in the CSO. I am honored to be able to listen and learn from his musicianship and commitment to purpose.

I am not intending to start any more controversy than this thread has already stirred up, but I do feel that it is important to correct the "facts".

Best wishes,

John Hagstrom
Second Trumpet
Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Last edited by JohnHagstrom on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 am; edited 3 times in total
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I totally stand corrected! Thanks for chiming in, Mr. Hagstrom!

It was a great concert. It doesn't really matter what horn he was playing on, in the end. The dude produces an incredible sound...and his artistry is so evident!

Thanks for setting the record straight!

Louie
Hastings College
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't I feel stupid now!!

Sheesh...

Seriously though...thanks!
Hastings College
gringoloco
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to listen to the performance.
The fact that he did this four days in a row at this level is unbelievable. It's some of the best control, both physical and mental, I've ever heard.

Anyone who knocks this has no idea what it means to play the trumpet.

This is LIVE people...no second takes. Fantastic...a new level.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: