• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Musicians work to prevent injuries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyAuditions.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing hurt was just part of the job for musicians for decades -- something to endure in silence, hoping it would go away with more practice.

SPECIAL REPORT --- http://www.myauditions.com
trompetita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very interesting article. I understand completely about the pain trumpeters get in their shoulder/upper back area. I have a friend at school who is a pianist who needed that special physical therapy. She helps me with my back when it gets too bad. Does anyone know how we can prevent upper back tension? Sometimes it gets so bad my left upper back goes numb/tingly. Any kind of insight is appreciated.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetita,
I've found the best "cure" to be a good regimen of excercise. Cardio and weights will keep your body in better shape and minimize these problems.

Rich
trompetita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I excercise frecuently... but maybe I need to focus my efforts more on my upper body strength. Swimming I think helps with this.

I find that stress can cause some of the tension that causes these back pains. In the summer I find that I have less stress and likewise, my back doesn't cause me much pain... yet during the school year, I feel a great deal of stress... I feel the tension creep into my back.

Thanks again for the insight.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,
Consider that during the school year you are most likely carrying some sort of bookbag/backpack that could be causing undue stress on your back as well.

Rich
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompetita- a suggestion for exercises: nedk/head isometric exercises as follows:

rules:

• During these exercises, always keep the head in the same position: straight-forward and upright. Use a mirror when you first start doing them.
  • Never press to the point of pain; back-off the pressure if discomfort is increased during the exerc ises.
  • Always work opposites

Press the hand(s) against the head, which never moves during these exercises, for 10 - 15 seconds, using as much force as you're comfortable with. Here is where you press:

• With both hands, at the forehead and at the back of the head.
  • With one hand, above each ear, and at the front/sides (left & right) of the head.

These exercises fatigue the muscles in the cervico-upper thoracic area, sometimes enough to reduce a unilateral spasm in the local muscles. Over time, they stabilize the upper spine. Make sure that you follow the rules exactly. They are expecially good for headaches and stiff necks, but are generally good for the neck/shoulder area.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetita --

Posture and balance can also help with body aches and pain. In addition to keeping physically fit, how you carry yourself -- in all facets of life -- makes a difference. Do you think about the way you sit at your desk at work? In your car? How you stand and carry yourself?

Great website:

http://www.alexandertechnique.com

I am not an expert, but reading up on this stuff has really made me more aware of bad habits in my normal posture. I have worked on it, and it is helping!

Paul Poovey

[ This Message was edited by: AverageJoe on 2003-07-22 11:00 ]
nowherenearadoublec
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I coach sprinters and find that lifestyle is a huge problem. Lower back and posture are majo areas.
However correct embouchure end breathing are the number one priority. Sort that out FIRST then check aspects of physical strength. You may find that correct breathing technique leads to correct posture, the opposite to what is normally taught!
Alan

[ This Message was edited by: nowherenearadoublec on 2003-07-27 12:25 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: