• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Performance Anxiety

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Detrocious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Performance Anxiety Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with performance anxiety. Its really starting to hold me back and I'm not sure how to stop it or even lessen it a little. I can play just fine while in an ensemble, even small chamber groups. Although when it comes so solos or auditions everything seems to falls apart. I shake and get dry mouth, and feel like im sight reading the music. Its really holding me back in auditions for more advanced ensemble at school. I know I can play the music, but I always seem to destroy the excerpts. Even when i've spent hours in the practice room working them out.

If anyone has some good tips to help me out please let me know.

Thanks!
Kanstul 1530 Cornet

You can't blow an uncertain trumpet.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Anxiety Reply with quote

Detrocious wrote:
I'm having trouble with performance anxiety. Its really starting to hold me back and I'm not sure how to stop it or even lessen it a little. I can play just fine while in an ensemble, even small chamber groups. Although when it comes so solos or auditions everything seems to falls apart. I shake and get dry mouth, and feel like im sight reading the music. Its really holding me back in auditions for more advanced ensemble at school. I know I can play the music, but I always seem to destroy the excerpts. Even when i've spent hours in the practice room working them out.

If anyone has some good tips to help me out please let me know.

Thanks!

I have the same issues. I'm certain it's a 'mind over matter' thing. Just relax and tell yourself that nothing matters except tp play for your own enjoyment and personal sense of achievement. You're not playing for "them" or anyone else. You just tell yourself to play the best you can and don't worry about what anyone else might be thinking. It's good to remember that the trumpet is not easy to play well and if just anyone could do it, it wouldn't be worth the effort. Just do your best for you --
and enjoy!

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Roberts-K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Performance Anxiety Reply with quote

Valium! Seriously, I don't know how I could help anyone with something like this, just from an advice standpoint on an internet chat. In golf they teach you when facing a tough shot to picture in your mind when you made that shot before. To use visualization to see the flight of the ball doing exactly what you want it to do.
But, stage fright for a musician can be very different for different people. I have heard famous musicians say that they still get nervous after years of playing shows for 80,000 plus people, and once they get onstage they feed off of the energy and probably play better.
I get nervous still if I know I am not real comfortable with chord changes on a particular tune, but I don't have to audition or be judged anymore, so I can just play off the melody and get through it.
I would suggest you get Kenny Wheeler's book, "Effortless Mastery" and work on relaxation and getting your mind out of your way, so you can play what you know you can play from what you have practiced. It is sold through Abersold, or Ebay. It is spot on at how we sometimes mentally get in our own way, and stage fright is in your mind or it wouldn't be happening. Give it a try and it may free up more abilities as well. And, good luck! I bet the Valium would work though...after you woke up from your nap!
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just relax and tell yourself that nothing matters except tp play for your own enjoyment and personal sense of achievement. You're not playing for "them" or anyone else.

I disagree. The reason musicians play music is to communicate with sound vibrations. What you should think about is communicating something from your soul to other souls. Even written music. Don't think about being judged.
Quote:
I would suggest you get Kenny Wheeler's book, "Effortless Mastery"

That is a great book, and appropriate to the topic, however it's by Kenny Werner . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Quote:
Just relax and tell yourself that nothing matters except tp play for your own enjoyment and personal sense of achievement. You're not playing for "them" or anyone else.

I disagree. The reason musicians play music is to communicate with sound vibrations. What you should think about is communicating something from your soul to other souls. Even written music. Don't think about being judged.
Quote:
I would suggest you get Kenny Wheeler's book, "Effortless Mastery"

That is a great book, and appropriate to the topic, however it's by Kenny Werner . . .

My point is that it might work to put yourself in a mental state that you're playing for yourself -- not "Them". But of course, we are actually playing for people - I was simply referring to a state of mind that might help with stage fright issue -- not the reality of it.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a master class last year, CSO principal Chris Martin said he handles performance anxiety by pretending he's someone else. He didn't say who. Phil Smith, maybe?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
At a master class last year, CSO principal Chris Martin said he handles performance anxiety by pretending he's someone else.

As one-sentence tips go, that one is pretty good. Certainly better than any I got in school when having this problem.

To the OP, there are many threads on this topic. Ultimately you need to play in those situations more often, to desensitize yourself. Or take drugs, which I don't recommend.
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we're supposed to give medical advice on this board (or that could be one of my others!), but here goes...

I use Propranolol, which is a beta blocker. One pill about an hour before performance works incredibly well for me. I have tried the relaxation techniques, lots of practice, and even alcohol (that was for a wedding - suffice to say that was NOT a good idea!). I've even gone to workshops that were supposed to teach you how to "center", etc. None of that worked - or at least didn't work predictably. Sometimes the shakes would start and sometimes not - I could never tell. No amount of preparation or "out of body" meditation or anything else helped until I talked to a fellow musician (trombone player, but OK even so!) and he told me about the little orange pill.

What happens now is that I can feel the shakes trying to start sometimes but they are stopped in their tracks - kinda cool! In fact, I'll be taking one in about an hour for my weekly church choir "gig".

Good luck in your search!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
Ultimately you need to play in those situations more often, to desensitize yourself.

For most people, this is the way to do it.

The OP said that ensemble playing is okay, but solos and auditions are a problem. So it might help to put yourself in solo/audition situations. Do this as much as possible, even daily if you can. Play for your roommates, classmates, family, friends, strangers ... anyone you can ... anywhere you can. Set up mock auditions or just play solos for anyone that will listen.

Plunkett is correct, that propranolol is sometimes prescribed for performance anxiety. It's not for everyone. But if desensitization doesn't work, it might be worth considering.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grow old. Then you just won't care anymore!

Experience is the best way to get through these things. But, it has to be experience where you believe you overcame. So, when you struggle, tell yourself that you were there in the fight when most people were sitting in front of their TVs. You survived. You grew stronger. Get better in the unseen and, eventually, you will get better in the seen.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
acuity33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started having some lessons after years without.
On my first lesson I was incredibly nervous playing in front of the teacher. Much more nervous than I get playing in church or at a concert. It's got a bit better but I'm still rubbish at lessons compared to when I play in other situations.

Jon
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfromance anxiety is a manifestation of the ego.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

I know that you're kidding but this is not true. I have found that it bugs me more now that I'm older, perhaps because I care more about my presentation to the audience more than I did during my younger days.. Too, I have a few more crashes under my belt that I simply cannot forgot. They all come back to haunt me at the worst possible time.

Ah to be young and carefree once again ...

-- Joe
David Roberts
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

Experience is the best way to get through these things. But, it has to be experience where you believe you overcame. So, when you struggle, tell yourself that you were there in the fight when most people were sitting in front of their TVs. You survived. You grew stronger. Get better in the unseen and, eventually, you will get better in the seen.

Brian

Like!
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preparation, Preparation, Preparation

Being nervous is normal. Find a quiet place and mentally visualize yourself performing. Wowing the crowd.

Get together with your group and do a singing run thru of the performance.
Focus on the music and above all: Preparation, Preparation, Preparation
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrett901 wrote:

Being nervous is normal. Find a quiet place and mentally visualize yourself performing. Wowing the crowd.

No offense (I mean that!), but people that write stuff like this really don't know what it's like to have unpredictable and uncontrollable performance anxiety. Preparation, visualization, practice, deep breathing, yoga - they're all well and good, but may not work for everyone (sure doesn't for me!).

Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I never have this problem in a section or with a large group - only when solo or I'm the only instrument of my type in a small group (I also play flute).

Last edited by plunkett on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

I know that you're kidding but this is not true. I have found that it bugs me more now that I'm older, perhaps because I care more about my presentation to the audience more than I did during my younger days..

True, age by itself doesn't cure it. You literally have to not care so much. Performance anxiety is a disproportionate terror reaction. The trick is to convince those stupid adrenal glands that clamming a note won't actually kill you.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:
garrett901 wrote:

No offense (I mean that!), but people that write stuff like this really don't know what it's like to have unpredictable and uncontrollable performance anxiety. Preparation, visualization, practice, deep breathing, yoga - they're all well and good, but may not work for everyone (sure doesn't for me!).

Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I never have this problem in a section or with a large group - only when solo or I'm the only instrument of my type in a small group (I also play flute).

This is very true. The root of the problem is our own self image.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find yourself in a stressful performance situation you can employ this technique: Clear all unnecessary thoughts from your mind, and concentrate on nothing but your breathing. Let the thoughts about your breathing become the foremost thing in you mind and forget about your surroundings and the audience. Take a deep breath and begin playing. Think only of the music you are playing and the proper breathing to support it. The only thoughts that need to be in your consciousness are the music and your next breath.

jbq
Detrocious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! Just a few things though. As for the preparation, I was able to play all the way through each excerpt to the best of my ability multiple times a day the week before hand, but when the time came to play everything fell apart. Also I agree that playing for others aften can help. I do regularly in the studio, although It doesn't seem to work for me. Recently I tried to control my breathing in an audition, its was difficult though. It seemed like it gave me more think about and added to the weight.
I know it seems like i'm just a mess, but I do appreciate the advice, and have been enjoying the discussions.
Kanstul 1530 Cornet

You can't blow an uncertain trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: