• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much a part does your top lip play in hitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those high notes.

This may sound like a strange question, but in my last lesson my instructor played high notes with such ease, and I was just wondering if I had the horn to close to my top lip and I'm not allowing my top lip to do what it needed to do to hit that high note.

From time to time I feel like I'm almost there, but can't quite get over that hill.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what you feel around your mouth when you play those upper registers.

Schilke S22
77 LA Benge
63 Burbank Benge

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-07-23 22:01 ]
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know, the top lip does all the vibrating and the bottom lip is just an anchor.
Gorkk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-23 23:37, vivace wrote:
as far as I know, the top lip does all the vibrating and the bottom lip is just an anchor.

This is what I believe as well. I can free-buzz my lips almost as well with my bottom lip in a "normal" position as with it tucked waaay inside my oral cavity (so that my top lip is buzzing against what may be considered where my chin starts). I think too that mouthpiece positioning depends on the player. Arbans demands 1/3 upper lip, 2/3 lower lip. This setup is also advocated by John Lynch, who created the Asymmetric Mouthpiece (which supposedly helps range and endurance if you can use it correctly). Claude Gordon (I think :-/ ) would prefer players to use 1/2 top lip, 1/2 bottom lip. In a recent Q and A session with Maynard Ferguson, he talked about how he uses 2/3 top lip, 1/3 bottom lip. Almost any playing setup can be used effectively if that setup suites the player. Experiment and let us know what you find works for you!

... I hear he is a wiz of a wiz, if ever a wiz there was.
~Nick
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your teacher knows what he's doing. I'd follow his advice, much more than anything on the internet. None of us can hear you play, that's how you judge what's going on. Practice, do what your teacher tells you.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that horn players have their mouthpiece really high on their lips. And they have to play some really high stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: