• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Rod Franks Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcnairg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Rod Franks Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I've been playing the Yamaha Rod Franks mouthpiece for about six months and really like it. The rim is about the size of a 3C. It has a large throat but with a narrow backbore—an unusual combination. It produces a really big sound and makes the low register (the large throat) very easy while at the same time allowing me to play with similar ease in the upper register (narrow backbore). I've seen very few forum posts about the mouthpiece and was just wondering about the experiences of others.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Rod Franks Mouthpiece Reply with quote

mcnairg wrote:
I've been playing the Yamaha Rod Franks mouthpiece for about six months and really like it. The rim is about the size of a 3C. It has a large throat but with a narrow backbore—an unusual combination. It produces a really big sound and makes the low register (the large throat) very easy while at the same time allowing me to play with similar ease in the upper register (narrow backbore). I've seen very few forum posts about the mouthpiece and was just wondering about the experiences of others.

I played one for many years, but eventually found something that had a better rim profile for me; but I loved it for the same reasons you have noted. A narrower backbore with a larger throat has more volume due to the longer and wider drill section and can really change the way that "narrow" backbore plays and responds. I've thought of having my current rim threaded onto my old Rod Franks piece. It is a great sounding mouthpiece.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
mcnairg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the rapid reply Jason. So, which mouthpiece did you change to? Does it have playing characteristics similar to the Rod Franks? I read an interview with Franks where he discussed his mouthpiece. The original mouthpiece was a Schilke that his father drilled out for him in high school. He played that mouthpiece for the rest of his life—including his tenure with the London Symphony! Yamaha then modeled their mouthpiece on his original.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcnairg wrote:
Thanks for the rapid reply Jason. So, which mouthpiece did you change to? Does it have playing characteristics similar to the Rod Franks? I read an interview with Franks where he discussed his mouthpiece. The original mouthpiece was a Schilke that his father drilled out for him in high school. He played that mouthpiece for the rest of his life—including his tenure with the London Symphony! Yamaha then modeled their mouthpiece on his original.

I am currently on an Austin Custom Brass TA1. It is a modified v shaped cup and just a touch narrower in diameter. The rim is less rounded and thicker, with a bit more bite than the Franks model Yamaha. 26 throat and a similar blowing backbore. It is very efficient and versatile like the Yamaha RF model, just a little better fit to my face. Both are great pieces, IMO.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up on J-Walk's suggestion, Breslmair modified my Rod Franks Mouthpiece so I could use their rims on it (my favourite being a 1.25-ish "V").

As described by mcnairg, it has a wide and open low and mid range, but also proves a great jet engine for higher notes ... and you do not even have to push hard.

While is does not work with all of my "horns", it makes my (1972) Conn 6B do everything from solo via Mariachi to wind orchestra. I think if I practiced more on said Franks/Conn combination, I might even be able to do legit orchestra on it, though it can be quite an offensive beast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: