• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best small recording device - CD quality?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Best small recording device - CD quality? Reply with quote

Has there been anything invented yet that is a small recording device that would record CD quality? Was looking at the Zoom Q3 with the video as my Zoom H4 records very well. Just wondered if there was anything more high-end out there that is fairly portable...Maybe under $2000 would be good. Thanks and all the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer:
There is no small box you can buy, push a button, and get a great sounding product with any chance of being picked up by a label. Period. The Zoom H4n and high-end Tascam DRs are still the best of the portables and can be OK for an easy promo cd.

Longer:
I know a gent who's CD recently came out (and it sounds great!), and they used about $12,000 in mics alone! Not to mention all of the other equipment already in the hall, and most of all the sound engineer who has been in the business for 25 years; he's the person who made it all sound great.

That said, you CAN get a very nice sound with a $2000 budget - even $800 for that matter. Remember: A good room is THE most important aspect to getting a good recording with simple hardware. But there is a lot to learn in terms of how to record; mic positions and leveling, room positions, mastering and post producing, etc. It is not easy, and it is unlikely you will attain a professional product. But if you're looking for a way to make a promotional CD that sounds pretty good, you can do it.

It'll take a few things, and it can be pretty compact:
    Set of mics; decent small condensers ($250-1000)
    Mic stand ($50)
    Good cables; Monsters ($40-70/ea)
    A good two channel interface ($150-250)
    Things you probably already have (computer, headphones, a recording program)

Alternatively, you could use something like the Tascam DR-680 with a set o mics. Then you don't have to carry a computer and separate interface...but I would prefer the computer for ease of the human interface..

I wrote about some specific hardware/setups[url=http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1157615#1157615] in this thread[/url], which may be useful to you.

Hope this helps some!
Aaron N.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aaron, thanks for all the info..really appreciate it. Yeah, it looks like I'll probably just go with a Zoom Q3HD and use a recording studio for when I want an album quality. Seems to make the most sense since I'm already connected with a lot of recording studios in my area that do great work. All the best, Lex.
Www.LexSamu.com
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Sony Field Recorders. I used mine for about half of my solo CD.

PCM-D50 (around 4-500) is my model. The next model up (2k) is reallllly nice.
-t
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trent! You know that PCM D1 looks really killer...just under $2000 too...Gonna look into this further! All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the following to make my CDs...

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/BR-1180CD/

You can get them used for less than $800 at...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001NQ2VLQ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

For me personally, I liked the simple ease of use, features and the sound.

It has a built in CD reader/burner and a hard drive to store your recordings.

I made my CDs as follows...

1.) Insert the CD into the built in reader/ burner with background orchestration and burn it into Track #1 (Left) & #2 (Right) on the built in hard drive.

2.) Plug in a microphone and headphones.

3.) In recording mode, play back the background orchestration through the headphones (track 1 & 2) while playing Trumpet into the microphone that is recording into Track 3 (Left) and Track #4 (right).

4.) Add effects (delay, reverb, EQ) and mix volume etc. for all (4) tracks together into Track #9/10

5.) Save to the hard drive, place a blank CD into the built in CD reader / burner and burn your CD.

I've made several CDs and sold them at my church for our needy Missionaries.

They certainly do not sound like a professional recording studio with $100Ks of equipment, Sound Engineers etc,. however, you would be surprised how good it sounds.

My friend built a recording studio in his home and is an excellent composer and Guitar player.

He is always first in line to buy my CDs and said..."I am ashamed to tell me how much I spent on my recording equipment." "My CDs certainly do not sound THAT much better than yours to make such a large investment!"

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.

Boss is now up to model #1600 (versus my old model #1180) which is being sold new for $1,499 below

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BR-1600CD-Multitrack-Digital-Recorder/dp/B0002D00AU

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: