• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

best modern copy of Bach mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry makes great pieces!
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Curry's 3C mpc similar to the Bach 3C; or is another model closer to the Bach 3C?

How is his Chicago series?

Thanks

Schilke S22
77 LA Benge
63 Burbank Benge

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-07-31 08:14 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curries' 3C is bigger than a modern Bach 3C, the Curry 5C is closer. Curries' 3C is modeled after a Mt. Vernon Bach (which Mt. Vernon Bach is very relevant) so it has a deeper bite angle than a new Bach (which is good) but he also makes 3Cs that are a percent or two smaller! Name your desired measurement, .640, 645, .642, whatever (special order price).
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leesbrass, I don't think I can agree with you that Bach bites are too sharp, at least for me. I don't play with an even top to bottom teeth embouchure, in fact, Im quite a bit down stream, but I find that a Bach 3c is perfect for my playing, HOWEVER, I have not tried the Curry mouthpieces, and judging from the feedback, I need to , I will and maybe it will change my mind.
-Jarrett
slip0106
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this topic has never been brought up before!

This is only my opinion based on personal experience: I spent years trying to find 2 things. #1) Two Bach 3C's that were the same ... #2) that I liked. I finally found several, although I don't play them anymore, theyare still two of my favorite mpc's. While Curry mpc's are very fine, and Laskey make some very superior stuff, I'm going to recommend Kanstul!

The thing to keep in mind about copies of old Bach mpc's, it just depends on what each company had to copy from.

I personally prefer Kanstuls copy of a Bach Mt Vernon 5C better than Laskeys. I like my Elkhart 3C's better than Kanstuls copy (which by the way is a copy of Charley Davis' 3C). That copy is bigger, much, than my 3C's, made some time between 1988-1990. See, so it depeneds ...

In comparing the new Bach 3C's to mine ... I don't like the new ones. Kanstuls copy of a Mt Vernon 5C is very close to my Elkhart 3C's ... again, just depends on who had what to copy. The nice thing about Kanstul, they're set up lkr the Warburton system, interchangable bb's. They have a fanstastic web site where you can visually compare all their items offered. http://www.kanstul.net

Good luck,

Michael
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played any of the mouthpieces offered here as suggested alternatives to Bach's 3C, but I have played the Bach 3C quite a bit. Also the 1 1/4C. And I do understand about players who need or want something special in the way another mouthpiece may be designed,i.e., rim shape, two piece construction, or special combinations of throats, backbores, cups, etc. I have played Marcinkiewicz, Schilke, and Stork, and always seem to end up back with Bach...and it's mostly for sound.

So, please pardon me for what might appear to be an ignorant question, but do these other pieces actually sound better? I suppose it can be said that a player who needs a special design will sound better using the equipment that is best suited for that player's needs - I can understand that also. But, if I play a Bach and then play a Brand XYZ, will anyone really be able to tell much, if any, difference out in front (assuming the Bach isn't a problem for me somehow)?

I understand (I think...) about consistency, accuracy, etc., but do all the things that these other pieces have going for them actually change the sound in any meaningful way?

I think Bach mouthpieces are capable of delivering a good sound...and they are inexpensive comparatively speaking...I can buy Bach mouthpieces for about $30 from WWBW or Mouthpiece Express. Unless they just didn't work for me for some reason, I would need to be convinced why I should spend anywhere form $45 - $50 on up to well over $100...unless there is a pretty drastic change in sound...

Just my opinion - and maybe confusion? I'm always interested in some enlightenment...
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-31 13:00, DaveH wrote:

So, please pardon me for what might appear to be an ignorant question, but do these other pieces actually sound better? I suppose it can be said that a player who needs a special design will sound better using the equipment that is best suited for that player's needs - I can understand that also. But, if I play a Bach and then play a Brand XYZ, will anyone really be able to tell much, if any, difference out in front (assuming the Bach isn't a problem for me somehow)?

I understand (I think...) about consistency, accuracy, etc., but do all the things that these other pieces have going for them actually change the sound in any meaningful way?

Speaking of GR, I feel the main benefit I receive from my GR66MS is an increase in range AND better intonation, all with a tone that compares with a 3C. I suppose you could say that better intonation will "improve" the sound. I use a GR66LX when I want a tone that compares to the 1 1/2C (Mount Vernon) that I used for decades. Once again, the range and intonation are better, while achieving the tone that I desire.

I felt the same way about my Reeves, but not to as high a degree as with the GRs.

Just a thought, I've read here and elsewhere that the Bach throat selection was tight and it was Vincent Bach's intent that the throats be manually opened (he often did this himself) to suit the player. If this is true, then I think it is at odds with producing a mouthpiece with an optimal balance between the cup, throat and backbore. This may (or may not) be why I sense more ease with playing mouthpieces other than Bachs (I never opened my Bach throats). Of course, any mouthpiece that is a slavish copy of a Bach will incorporate the same throat (and potential imbalance).

It's good to hear that you're happy with your Bachs. Long live Bach.

With best regards,

Dave
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that talking/emailing Gary Radke at GR is a productive step when faced with this question. My informer said he is really knows his stuff and will help you choose something from his range to replace any favorite piece. He also does custom pieces. I am intending to follow this advice in the near future. If you want to email me I will put you in touch with the guy who suggested this, no reason to distrust him. I bought a Claude Gorden personal piece from him and it's just as he said, very comfortable, wonderful sound and unfortunatly so deep it's a real chops killer so I'm back on the Bach 1 1/2C. Now the Bach with the CG rim and sound would be the dream piece for me, in theory!!!
g.m.dean@kent.ac.uk

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: