• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gil Johnson vs Maynard Ferguson

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from a recent thread in The Lounge:

Quote:

On 2003-07-29 20:16, walter wrote:

Lastly, I remember a story that I heard years ago. A group of young trumpet students at some Regional or All-State orchestra were visited by the late, great Gilbert Johnson of the Philadelphia Orchestra. One of the young players didn't really know much about Gil Johnson, so he asked Johnson, "Can you play better than Maynard?".

That made me do a spit take with my ginger ale when I read it. I am still laughing as I post this. But, just for fun, and even though I am the first to realize it is an unresolvable case of apples and oranges, I would love to hear the TH members weigh in on this. If you'd rather, you can just say something like: "I'd prefer to blow like Maynard", if you'd rather not say Maynard is the better trumpet player. Or you may give detailed reasons why you feel one is a better player than the other. I'll start by saying I would much rather play like Gil Johnson did, I feel he has a superior command of the instrument, and his sound was exactly what I strive to sound like when I play. I also recognize that for the majority of folks, Maynard would poll a lot higher as the superior entertainer, (among both trumpet players and non trumpet playing music fans) and certainly he is the bigger money maker. And I bet a lot of folks here feel that Gil Johnson is the better trumpet player and would STILL rather blow like Maynard - there is actually no dichotomy in that. It is comparable to recognizing that Placido Domingo has the better voice, but choosing to sing like Frank Sinatra if that's the style of singing that floats your boat. I'm still chuckling!
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather play like Gil any day.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read or saw somewhere that Maynard was a young virtuoso and did some performing with several Canadian symphonies prior to his move toward jazz, so maybe at one time, he had the kind of chops to be an orchestral player. Still, playing in an orchestra takes an altogether higher level of proficiency behind the horn, and a much higher level of discipline.

I would say that Gil Johnson was undoubtedly the better player technically, but I'd much rather listen to Maynard and be able to blow like that!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-30 05:26, Still Trying wrote:
I'd rather play like Gil any day.

Sure you would. But once upon a time Maynard was very young. Even as young as Gilbert. Maynard's current playing is only a shell of what he was once capable of. I guess I'm hoping that you'll all at least show some respect for the elderly Maynard. We'll all be there [age] soon enough, and Gilbert too.
Larry
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry - unfortunately Gilbert Johnson passed away some time ago, I don't recall the year, can anyone fill that in for us? For the purposes of this topic, it would be best to compare the 2 players in their respective primes, one need not go by Maynard of today.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked it up, Gil Johnson was the same age as Maynard (actually 8 months older), and passed away last September.

http://www.trumpetguild.org/news/news02/johnson.htm

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-07-30 15:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-07-30 15:09 ]
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I compare Gil and Maynard side by side on the best day of their lives, I would still rather play like Gil. That is not intended to show any type of disrespect toward Maynard in any shape, form, or fashion. I love to listen to him and greatly admire him. But if I had my choice of being principal trumpet of a major symphony or a great jazz trumpeter, I would choose the symphony job. It all comes back to my preference in music. I have listened to symphony music a hundred hours for every one I have spent listening to jazz. It's just the way my taste in music runs. So as I said, I would rather be able to play like Gil.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-30 14:50, valvepimp wrote:
Larry - unfortunately Gilbert Johnson passed away some time ago, I don't recall the year, can anyone fill that in for us? For the purposes of this topic, it would be best to compare the 2 players in their respective primes, one need not go by Maynard of today.

Thanks for the information. I was not familiar with Gilbert's work aside from the fact that he was a symphony player and didn't know his age. Just assumed that he was younger than Maynard. In fact I thought everybody was younger than Maynard.
Larry
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Herseth said that Maynard was the greatest trumpet player in this part of the century. Although I am strictly a classical player without any real jazz improv skills or screech chops, I'd much rather play like Maynard than any classical player -- especially Maynard in his early years (Stan Kenton and shortly thereafter). His sound and control during that period is just breathtaking.
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard for me anyday! The "Raw Power" of his playing is still awesome ... even today!

JW
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read somewhere that someone wrote a classical piece that was so hard that they had to call maynard in to play it... it was written with him in mind... anyone remember this? and more importantly - does anyone have the recording

-marc
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Bud Herseth said that Maynard was the greatest trumpet player in this part of the century."

Actually, I read an interview with Herseth where he commented about Maynards Playing.
He actually said that he was the best brass player of our generation. The long time Maynard fans will remember he used to play many different instruments including: Valve and slide trombones, French Horn, Baritone, flugelhorn, Firebird trumpet and of course B flat trumpet.

There are many great technical players I would love to play like (ie Mendez) there is always something about Maynard's sound. As Stan Kenton introduced Maynard on the 1953 recording called Overture (this is an orchestra) "There are a few musicians capable of creating feelings of fire and we're lucky because we have one". Or Lew Soloff who said that when he played in Maynards band - one of his greatest thrills was during the first concert he was playing and all of a sudden it sounded like 9 trumpets had come in and it was Maynard standing off to the side of the trumpet section. Maynard still has that effect when you hear him. He is indeed an icon.

Mike Ackerman
Lawrenceville, GA

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2003-07-30 21:39 ]
orenthal resets

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Andre VS Cat Anderson
Who would win?
What would the odds be and for whom?
Would there be a rematch?
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather play Classical like Gilbert and Jazz like Maynard!!

Craig
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc: I don't know which classical piece you mean that was written for Maynard, but about a year ago I read a reivew about a box set of historic NY Philharmonic performances that had been released. The reviewer mentioned a thrilling performance where Maynard was the soloist and he hits a high D at the end. Maybe you can find the recording. ( I think Bernstein was the conductor)
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piece is called "The Titans," by William Russo. Maynard was featured in one movement, and I believe the part was written up to Ds above double C.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said orchestral music requires more competence on the horn than big band music. How do you figure? Most orchestral music features more strings than trumpet and overall I think lead trumpet is more demanding. Not to say orchestra playing is not demanding because it obviously is, but playing one or the other has nothing to do with whether you're better or not. I've known some people who chose to be jazz players but could probably smoke 90% of orchestral players. As for Maynard vs. Gil Johnson...lol...How about this one: Jon Faddis Vs. Phil Smith? Or Doc Severinsen Vs. Bud Herseth? lol...
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever one compares apples and oranges, sooner or later someone will say:
uhhhhh....but I hate apples!
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-01 13:50, AccentOnTrumpet wrote:
How about this one: Jon Faddis Vs. Phil Smith? Or Doc Severinsen Vs. Bud Herseth? lol...

The reason I found the initial topic (Johnson vs Ferguson) so amusing, was in the context of that clueless student asking Johnson to his face if he was any better than Maynard. I have never compared Faddis vs Smith, but back when I was in school, fellow trumpeters and myself would constantly compare Herseth to Severinsen. The answers they gave always boiled down to how badly they wanted to play in an orchestra vs how much they wanted to be a virtuoso showman. When I initially answered that I would choose to play like Johnson over Maynard, it was in part because I always wanted to play in an orchestra, but I also mentioned how I felt Johnson exhibited a complete control of his instrument. If I were to compare Herseth to Doc, then it is clearly a case of both players having complete control, but I would probably give the edge to Doc in the control factor. I don't think Bud is capable of sailing around the upper register with quite the alacrity that Doc has shown over the years. Doc would, of course, not sound as good as Bud in an orchestra. Many years ago, I heard Doc perform Dueling Banjos on trumpet. Other schoolmates of mine also witnessed this performance. Those in the Herseth camp were forced to admit that they didn't think that Bud would be able to play like that. It may have been the most technically difficult display of trumpet playing I have ever heard Doc play. Those of you who know the piece know how fast those banjos strummed. Doc did it up to tempo with lightning-fast crisp, clear tonguing all over the upper register. It was a phenomenal performance, and much as I'd like to sound like Herseth, I don't give the automatic nod to the orchestral player in a comparison of Bud vs Doc. Doc was truly in a category by himself. In fact, I think I'd choose to play like Doc over Bud. Take the best of what Maurice Andre has to offer and bundle it with what Maynard can do, and this I think accurately describes Doc in his prime. Dissenting views welcome, but I did want to demonstrate to anyone following this thread that I don't always choose the orchestral player, necessarily. Faddis vs Smith? I'll let someone else begin THAT comparison

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-08-02 10:06 ]
Clarion Wind
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that Maynard was way far and away better at his specific area of expertise(lead trumpet playing) compared to his contemporaries in that field, than Gil Johnson was compared to the orchestral trumpet players that were his peers at the time and during their careers. Gil was great, and in the end, I might enjoy listening to Gil more than Maynard, but no one will ever claim Gil was the greatest orchestral player there ever was, but many will claim Maynard was the greatest lead/screech player there ever was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: